Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Bay FM cutbacks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

spurshero wrote: »
    If your inpressed by finnengans show your easily impressed . Waffle city .

Have you tried it yourself? I'm impressed by the amount he packs into a show. The content wouldn't be for me but I'm likely not in the demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Have you tried it yourself? I'm impressed by the amount he packs into a show. The content wouldn't be for me but I'm likely not in the demographic.

Often did I can’t listen to it any more . That’s just my opinion . Each to there own . I’m sure loads people enjoy the show and good luck to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cube98

Finigans show was only 2 hours long for many years, 3 hours of him a day seems overkill but I presume it's to do with the consolidation across the schedule rather than a demand from listeners. His own daughter is the producer of the program.

<nope>

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

KF can be good with local issues, certainly has a place as he will stick it to politicians if needed and addresses local concerns..

Olly and Molly, if that’s what they are called, make me change channel , unfunny wannabe shock jocks ...pure cringe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

<nope>

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some content removed. Don't get personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Sam Tyler

I’m surprised about all the negativity towards the Molly and Olly program? I thought it was very popular! Considering that Molly left and then was brought back and there was a big relaunch campaign to announce it.
    Out of curiosity what is that people don’t like?
    Both are experienced presenters

Sam Tyler wrote: »
    I’m surprised about all the negativity towards the Molly and Olly program? I thought it was very popular! Considering that Molly left and then was brought back and there was a big relaunch campaign to announce it.

I can't comment as I've only heard it in passing on the bus but LMFAO, talk about history repeating it self, Jimmy Norman left the breakfast show and came back about 9 times and always with a big relaunch campaign as well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The radio industry has changed massively since GB FM first came on air.

Bit of history from a radio anorak...

GB FM was a reboot of a a failed “Radio West” in the early ‘90’s. Radio West, launched in 1989, it was a clone of Mayo’s Mid-West radio, which had launched 6 months earlier. Really very twee. Country 'n Irish (Daniel o Donnell) music. Really terribly marketed. Bad reception outside of the city. The figures were brutal, it was going down the pan within 18 months of launch so it was reboot or bust....................

..................radio these days? Do many people under the age of 50 listen to GB FM or rely on radio for local content? I’d imagine no.

Bit of history to add here also.

Radio West was in the pan as you say and it was a guy called Peter Norton was brought in to rescue it. He did his thing and I think GBFM was born. Not sure why he left but the difficult part being done at this stage, Keith Finnegan was hired to replace him. Not sure how really as I think he worked in a photocopier company with 'city' in the name IIRC (don't think they are around anymore).

Cue the biggest boom this country has ever seen aka 'The Celtic Tiger' and the ability to surf that wave and here we are today. Some things really haven't changed in the last 25 years and it is very stale (Usually the case when there is possible nepotism - bit of a closed shop I would imagine). I can't listen but local news/sports will always draw a crowd.

I don't believe Gerry Rabbitte has any involvement anymore as he bought into Highland Radio.

I think Molly left as he has/had a fair commute. Not sure why he came back. TBF it's far from the worst program on GBFM and I think they are a decent double act for local radio. Jon Richards left at one stage as well to the UK I think as he felt he was destined for greater things. But obviously he came back.

• Advertisement

The last 2 times I actively tuned in and listened to GBFM were

- The 2009 flooding
    - The 2010 heavy snows

Just to find out what roads were open/closed at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

phelant wrote: »
    Bit of history to add here also.

Radio West was in the pan as you say and it was a guy called Peter Norton was brought in to rescue it. He did his thing and I think GBFM was born. Not sure why he left but the difficult part being done at this stage, Keith Finnegan was hired to replace him. Not sure how really as I think he worked in a photocopier company with 'city' in the name IIRC (don't think they are around anymore).

Cue the biggest boom this country has ever seen aka 'The Celtic Tiger' and the ability to surf that wave and here we are today. Some things really haven't changed in the last 25 years and it is very stale (Usually the case when there is possible nepotism - bit of a closed shop I would imagine). I can't listen but local news/sports will always draw a crowd.

I don't believe Gerry Rabbitte has any involvement anymore as he bought into Highland Radio.

I think Molly left as he has/had a fair commute. Not sure why he came back. TBF it's far from the worst program on GBFM and I think they are a decent double act for local radio. Jon Richards left at one stage as well to the UK I think as he felt he was destined for greater things. But obviously he came back.

No, Molly left to go to Canada with his partner and daughter to become a stay at home Dad while his partner worked out there. She got a serious deal to do with her own company I think at the time.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Galway Bay FM would like to sypmathise with the friends and family of all those deceased.

(That'll be €50, please)

And the rest.

I just got my mum's funeral bill was charged €164 for Galway Bay FM notice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

paconnors wrote: »
    And the rest.

I just got my mum's funeral bill was charged €164 for Galway Bay FM notice

Sorry for your loss.

I suspect there was a cut taken from funeral director* (or similar)., surely? That's a serious sting for a couple of seconds mention on radio :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Sorry for your loss.

I suspect there was a cut taken from funeral director* (or similar)., surely? That's a serious sting for a couple of seconds mention on radio :(

No he adds in other fees. Liaison / Professional Fees there called

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry for your loss.

I understand that they're read several times during the day, for the one daily fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I understand that they're read several times during the day, for the one daily fee.

Yeah I think the fee is based on how often the notice is read.

The emergence of RIP must have a fairly big dent on local radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah I think the fee is based on how often the notice is read.

The emergence of RIP must have a fairly big dent on local radio.

That depends, I think. The kind of people who are listening to the radio intensely for death notices, may not be the same demographic who are regularly browsing the internet. In my experience anyway.

I did not know there was a fee for radio death notices. Just assumed it was a mutually beneficial service where the news gets spread locally and the station gets the listenership (to which they sell advertising).

A nominal contribution wouldn't be surprising but that's a crazy figure. Sorry for your loss paconnors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

How many staff does the station employ I wonder?
    What do ye think of Katie on the show? She is being primed to fill Keith's show whenever he hangs up his boots.
    If it was RTÉ we would see a few threads here about the nepotism going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Bullocks wrote: »
    How many staff does the station employ I wonder?
    What do ye think of Katie on the show? She is being primed to fill Keith's show whenever he hangs up his boots.
    If it was RTÉ we would see a few threads here about the nepotism going on!

Isn't it privately owned?
    They can employ who they like, I'm not paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sam Tyler wrote: »

They talk pure muck, must have been desperate and unable to fill the role to bring him back.

Then go to doom and gloom about covid 19 numbers.

Molly on then telling people to stay at home while he travels all the way down from Westmeath to present a radio show, hardly essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Sam Tyler

Well I think they learned their lesson when they had an outbreak there.

In their defence it can’t be easy running a local radio station in the middle of a pandemic when they are so reliant on local advertising and when we are in a lockdown.

But I do think they need to be a bit more creative/imaginative with content across the station. It’s like they are trying to be all things to everyone and not really hitting the mark with any of it.

Also 3 hours of current affairs in the morning is too much cut it back to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They talk pure muck, must have been desperate and unable to fill the role to bring him back.

Then go to doom and gloom about covid 19 numbers.

Molly on then telling people to stay at home while he travels all the way down from Westmeath to present a radio show, hardly essential travel.

My understanding is that they are both operating from home.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

My understanding is that they are both operating from home.

If they are its just recently because Molly was always on about his journey down from Westmeath.

Wrong.

Media is defined as an essential industry, therefore people working there are doing essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Isn't it privately owned?
    They can employ who they like, I'm not paying for it.

With most privately owned businesses, if you disagree with their practices, you can take your business elsewhere. Not the case here as they are the only show in town. Wonder if there are any constrains in the licence awarded to operate on what they can and cannot do. Cant imagine that even if there are, that it would have specifics on operations/human resources.

Wrong.

Media is defined as an essential industry, therefore people working there are doing essential travel.

Sure if you say so it must be right :rolleyes:

Sure if you say so it must be right :rolleyes:

Read all about it: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/#information-and-communications

• Advertisement

I did read it.

Production of television and media is deemed essential.

This guy is a presenter not anything to do with the production side of things so he was/is coming half way across the country when he doesn't have to.

Advertisement