Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Floyd Mayweather to fight YouTuber Logan Paul in exhibition fight on February 20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can't wait. This is a fight for the ages. Floyd's 0 is under serious threat here.
    Whatever they are charging for this fight will be well worth it to see a piece of history being made.

LOL!

Mockery.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,573 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Guys

Floyd looked like sh1t v Conor, and even worse vs that Japanese lad....

That is 2-3-4 years ago now...

Logan Paul is not a proper pro boxer...

I still think Floyd, if he takes a legit fight here, will look sh1t....

walshb wrote: »
    Guys

Floyd looked like sh1t v Conor, and even worse vs that Japanese lad....

That is 2-3-4 years ago now...
    Not sure we watched the same fight. He made a fool of Conor, and didn't he stop the Japanese lad in under 3 minutes. I didnt see that fight.

And he's now taking on a YouTuber. He won't even need to lace up a second glove.

Not sure we watched the same fight. He made a fool of Conor, and didn't he stop the Japanese lad in under 3 minutes. I didnt see that fight.

And he's now taking on a YouTuber. He won't even need to lace up a second glove.

You obviously have not seen the best of Floyd.

He was dreadful vs Conor, and only took over when Conor became tired...

I thought he looked very disjointed and awkward and novice like vs the wee small Japanese lad...

Logan Paul is not a pro boxers, but he is big and awkward...

Guarantee you that Floyd will look poor and will struggle...

Forget the win/loss/draw here.....he will look sh1t...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How is fighting that gob****e in an exhibition match 'coming out of retirement'?

Bit like saying ex footballers come out of retirement when they play in a charity match

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

This guy is 6'2 and 90+ kg, what's fluid 5'7 .

The size difference will be interesting for Flyod to figure out, he won't be able to clinch, and absorbing punches from someone soooo much bigger at 43 years old won't be fun.

JJayoo wrote: »
    This guy is 6'2 and 90+ kg, what's fluid 5'7 .

The size difference will be interesting for Flyod to figure out, he won't be able to clinch, and absorbing punches from someone soooo much bigger at 43 years old won't be fun.

Knowing Mayweather he’ll boil the lad down to 147 lbs..

If this event goes ahead, Mayweather will look Sh1t..

This Paul lad is a white collar novice, but his size, weight, reach and awkwardness will cause Floyd a lot of issues. Floyd is not a man to go in and do any type killer job. He is so ridiculously safety first, that the match will see him look dreadful here..

You can bet both sides will be working behind the scenes to choreograph this as best they can.

If not, expect Floyd to duck, dive and run for the night until Paul fades and drops from exhaustion..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

It's a joke and makes a complete mockery of the sport. I genuinely hope Mayweather sparks him in the first round but that is unrealistic for many obvious reasons.

I remember Jimmy Glenn getting angry when punters asked him about the Mayweather McGregor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    It's a joke and makes a complete mockery of the sport. I genuinely hope Mayweather sparks him in the first round but that is unrealistic for many obvious reasons.

I remember Jimmy Glenn getting angry when punters asked him about the Mayweather McGregor fight.

Yes, it's a freakshow and a circus. It's more "entertainment" than boxing. But does it help the sport or hurt the sport?

Help, from the perspective of putting new eyes on the sport? Garnering some new fans? Putting boxing in the headlines.

I think the one thing that came out of the Nate Robinson/Jake Paul farce, was that boxing isn't something you just "try out", despite the fact neither of them is a pro boxer.

Or on the other, is this a disgrace and kick in the face to all the pro's busting their holes out there to eek out a living? This dude saunters up and makes millions out of his fame and Floyd, a legend of the sport, is more than happy to cash in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will Logan Paul get punched in the face a lot?

That'd be worth the price of admission...

endacl wrote: »
    Will Logan Paul get punched in the face a lot?

That'd be worth the price of admission...

Against safety first scared ****less to get hit Mayweather, no!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If this guy doesn't gas, and doesn't chase Flyod missing his head, and just plods along and lands heavy body shots using his 30kg+ bodyweight, does he win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

For **** sake, a bevvied Paddy Barnes would put Logan Paul away.

Against safety first scared ****less to get hit Mayweather, no!

You really need to get your dislike of Mayweather off your chest. Let it all out in one long post.

JJayoo wrote: »
    If this guy doesn't gas, and doesn't chase Flyod missing his head, and just plods along and lands heavy body shots using his 30kg+ bodyweight, does he win.

He'd have as much chance of winning as McGregor has when watching a replay of his match against Mayweather.

You really need to get your dislike of Mayweather off your chest. Let it all out in one long post.

Nothing to do with a dislike..

One of the great great boxers the past 30-40 years..

Wait for the match...you may just get what I am saying

Or, go watch his match vs the novice, McGregor...

Mayweather fights ridiculously safety first....

He did it against the smaller Manny Pacquiao as well...

Against Paul, assuming both in to win and no funny games, expect Floyd to be very safety conscious....the man is retired, older now, and not at all going to be going in there with any real spiteful offence...

I am not saying Floyd does not win here.....I am saying he will look sh1t in doing so, against a novice.....

For **** sake, a bevvied Paddy Barnes would put Logan Paul away.

No, he would not.....

Paul is not a pro boxer....

But that doesn't mean he can't throw punches and can't hurt tiny men like a Barnes, if he lands, which he absolutely could....

Paddy is a small man who has very little power for his size.....

So, next to no chance he puts Paul away....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

No, he would not.....

Paul is not a pro boxer....

But that doesn't mean he can't throw punches and can't hurt tiny men like a Barnes, if he lands, which he absolutely could....

Paddy is a small man who has very little power for his size.....

So, next to no chance he puts Paul away....

Stop talking out your arse.

Stop talking out your arse.

Ok, so Paddy Barnes knocks Paul out with ease, is this what you are saying?

Yes, please, stop talking out of your arse!!!

Paddy, all 5 feet 4 and 115 lbs of him.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Nothing to do with a dislike..

On of the great great boxers the past 30-40 years..

Wait for the match...you may just get what I am saying

Or, go watch his match vs the novice, McGregor...

Mayweather fights ridiculously safety first....

He did it against the smaller Manny Pacquiao as well...

Against Paul, assuming both in to win and no funny games, expect Floyd to be very safety conscious....the man is retired, older now, and not at all going to be going in there with any real spiteful offence...

I am not saying Floyd does not win here.....I am saying he will look sh1t in doing so, against a novice.....

I don't know, I know the YouTuber is a fairly big man so it's not a completely fair comparison, but Mayweather was very happy to just go out and blast out the kickboxer he fought in Japan a gear or two ago, who is a very high level striker (but certainly no boxer).

I'd like to think the skill deficit will be so great that the extra size won't prove reason enough for Floyd to employ a cautious approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Talk about cheapening your legacy - it's embarrassing at this stage, i'd love to see one of these money grabs go tits up and put a knockout on his record. It's just pure unadulterated greed.

Talk about cheapening your legacy - it's embarrassing at this stage, i'd love to see one of these money grabs go tits up and put a knockout on his record. It's just pure unadulterated greed.

Who is it embarrassing for? And why would it tarnish his legacy in any way?

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I don't know, I know the YouTuber is a fairly big man so it's not a completely fair comparison, but Mayweather was very happy to just go out and blast out the kickboxer he fought in Japan a gear or two ago, who is a very high level striker (but certainly no boxer).

I'd like to think the skill deficit will be so great that the extra size won't prove reason enough for Floyd to employ a cautious approach.

Conor was nowhere near pro boxer level, albeit an MMA fighter, and Floyd was very cautious and looked very poor....took 10 rds to end it....

And the nonsense that he carried Conor doesn't add up.

He simply was unwilling to get hit, so he played it very safe

He will do the same here against Paul, who is clearly bigger than Conor..

A pro boxer with real killer instinct who is not afraid to mix it up would take Paul out very quickly

Floyd is not this....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

He only beat McGregor because like usual McG was gassed after a while. He looked rubbish until then against a guy that doesn't even box.

As for this "fight" i think it's another nail in boxings coffin.

Conor was nowhere near pro boxer level, albeit an MMA fighter, and Floyd was very cautious and looked very poor....took 10 rds to end it....

And the nonsense that he carried Conor doesn't add up.

He simply was unwilling to get hit, so he played it very safe

He will do the same here against Paul, who is clearly bigger than Conor..

A pro boxer with real killer instinct who is not afraid to mix it up would take Paul out very quickly

Floyd is not this....

Yeah, maybe. Big difference between McGregor and someone who appears to have started boxing in the last year or two though.

You may well be right, but I'll live in hope!

Yeah, maybe. Big difference between McGregor and someone who appears to have started boxing in the last year or two though.

You may well be right, but I'll live in hope!

Whatever differences, mark my words....Floyd will look desperate and will struggle here...

And people need to simply call this as a fight...forget names and personalities...

Watch it and analyze the action....

Put any active pro who can throw punches and is half decent, and Paul is beaten easily...

Floyd is not going to take any risks here.......not at this stage of his life....and his lack of taking offensive risks is why he will struggle and look desperate against the white collar novice...

Whatever differences, mark my words....Floyd will look desperate and will struggle here...

And people need to simply call this as a fight...forget names and personalities...

Watch it and analyze the action....

Put any active pro who can throw punches and is half decent, and Paul is beaten easily...

Floyd is not going to take any risks here.......not at this stage of his life....and his lack of taking offensive risks is why he will struggle and look desperate against the white collar novice...

As I said, you could be right, but we do have evidence to suggest he may do differently. Yes, Tenshin was a much smaller opponent but you can see from his movement that he's a high level fighter. And Floyd was very happy to walk him down and unload power punches.

Yes, it's a different ball game against a much bigger man in Paul, but as you said, he's white collar level novice whereas Tenshin a high level striker.

I've seen enough to suggest Mayweather may well just go in and look to put him away in a round. I've also seen enough to know Mayweather may be happy to sit back and potshot from distance regardless of the lack of real danger posed by a novice boxer. Time will tell.

The Japanese lad posed no power risk at all...was too small and too weak....that is why Flyod had no issues walking him down and not caring about his power...

Paul will pose size issues and awkwardness issues and power issues.

All valid issues, that of course, Floyd could deal with....but they will still need to be dealt with....and for me, Floyd won't take any risks dealing with them with any real zeal.....

• Advertisement

I've seen enough to suggest Mayweather may well just go in and look to put him away in a round.

Where have you seen this?

I can't at all see it....

Do you mean that Paul is so bad, or that Floyd showed that he can?

When did Floyd ever go out and really go for broke for a stoppage early?

All his recent fights the past few years has seen him be cautious, defensive, and safety conscious......

The only comparable fight to Paul, is Conor.....and Floyd was not at all showing that he could take Conor in a round...

Advertisement