Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travellers Carrickpherish

Options
  • 28-11-2020 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

An update on the chalet (Southfork) on the halting site.

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/11/26/enforcement-action-should-be-taken-on-unauthorised-chalet/
    ENFORCEMENT action should be taken on an unauthorised structure located on the site of a proposed seven bay development before any decision is made on Part 8 Public Consultation, otherwise a Pandora’s Box will be opened, according to Cllr Joe Kelly.

The Independent Councillor said to do so would uphold the integrity of the planning process and ensure fairness and equal treatment for all individuals across the city and county.

Raising the proposed development at Carrickpherish at Tuesday’s Plenary meeting, Cllr Kelly stated that the map and plan posted on the Council’s website as part of the Part 8 Public Consultation shows an existing structure, which turned out to be a chalet that was put in without permission two years ago.

“That is an unauthorised structure, and I understand that a notice to that effect has been served on the people involved,” he said, posing the question of how the structure could be included in the Part 8 process.

Does anyone know if this issue has ever been raised before at one of these meetings? I'm just trying to figure out how it has been allowed to stay there for 2 years.
    In the region of €750,000 is spent on a contract for maintenance and upkeep of halting sites, and Cllr Kelly feels that the Council more than delivers on its responsibility for the Traveller community.

€750,000!! I have a really crazy, radical suggestion, how about travellers be responsible for the upkeep of their own accommodation.
    Cllr Joe Conway (Ind) supported Cllr Kelly, while Cllr John Hearne (SF) was disturbed to hear that the chalet is to stay, given that people in the west of Waterford can’t get permission to build a bungalow.

“We should all obey the law and if we don’t it’s a very poor outlook for all of us. I think it is two fingers to every law abiding person if someone comes along and says we are going to do this and we don’t care what you think,” he said.

Very true.

Does anyone know what way things work for travellers in other countries? Are taxpayers in other countries lumped with funding their lifestyles?
    Post edited by Cabaal on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

An update on the chalet (Southfork) on the halting site.

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/11/26/enforcement-action-should-be-taken-on-unauthorised-chalet/

Does anyone know if this issue has ever been raised before at one of these meetings? I'm just trying to figure out how it has been allowed to stay there for 2 years.

€750,000!! I have a really crazy, radical suggestion, how about travellers be responsible for the upkeep of their own accommodation.

Very true.

Does anyone know what way things work for travellers in other countries? Are taxpayers in other countries lumped with funding their lifestyles?

Reasonable though opinionated points but I can hear the keys rattling already on this one............

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Be interesting to know how much is spent on the upkeep of social housing in the region?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Azatadine

There seems to be a premeditated plan to concentrate the travellers in this location rather than have to accommodate them anywhere else around. As a knock on, no private estates will be built in the vicinity.

Such a pity as the schools there are very well maintained and a few well landscaped companies around there too like Sanofi, West and B&L.

The road is essentially a no go area though due to the travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Funeral coming down the Carrickpherish rd this morning with a hearse and the old type round horse drawn caravan with a lot of people, social distancing out the window.I know you have to bury the dead but why can't they understand the danger?

marlin vs wrote: »
    Funeral coming down the Carrickpherish rd this morning with a hearse and the old type round horse drawn caravan with a lot of people, social distancing out the window.I know you have to bury the dead but why can't they understand the danger?

because they ll be looked after better in the after life

• Advertisement

Was getting diesel today and saw one of them coming out the shop and not a mask in sight on him or his wife (who came out a couple of mins later). He went back in again and came out after a few minutes. No mask, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

And Pavee Point will ask us to take pity on travellers as they are more at risk due to the way they live and their hygiene practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Was this related?

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/12/30/crowd-dispersed-after-gardai-respond-to-city-gathering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Drove past the Gaelscoil this evening around 6.45 and saw a young guy of around 13 or 14 being assaulted by 3 or 4 others of a similar if not younger age. I had my two small children in their car seats with me so I couldn’t stop. I beeped the horn and shouted at them but couldn’t stop. They were laying into him with punches. An absolute kip that place has turned into. There were a couple of people walking towards them so hopefully they were more help to the poor young guy than I was.

Yeah, its a tough area for sure. Little scumbags drove across the road in front of me on a quad bike yesterday. Mounted the path and tore along there full pelt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Motivator wrote: »
    Drove past the Gaelscoil this evening around 6.45 and saw a young guy of around 13 or 14 being assaulted by 3 or 4 others of a similar if not younger age. I had my two small children in their car seats with me so I couldn’t stop. I beeped the horn and shouted at them but couldn’t stop. They were laying into him with punches. An absolute kip that place has turned into. There were a couple of people walking towards them so hopefully they were more help to the poor young guy than I was.

I cycled along there today. On the way out a young guy of around 13 or 14 jumped out at me as I cycled past to try knock me over. On the way back two jumped out swinging a stick. It was just attempt’s at intimidation thinking I live around there.

Have never lived around there but know the area from my school days and it was always nice area with nice people. I genuinely feel sorry for the people living around there because of what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Beginnings of an organised criminal gang , cab need to intervene now and nip it in the bud before its a warzone

Hoffmans wrote:
    Beginnings of an organised criminal gang , cab need to intervene now and nip it in the bud before its a warzone

Takes time for that to build evidence, but something needs to be done, urgently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Something needs to be done urgently. Should move the halting site out of it completely to somewhere else. It's turning into a tinder box atm.

Nothing will be done about it. Its been ignored until now and they even want to add more bays.

I think its gone beyond the point of no return now.

The proposed extension to add more bays to the halting site there was well defeated yesterday I hear. Good.

Azatadine wrote:
    The proposed extension to add more bays to the halting site there was well defeated yesterday I hear. Good.

Passed through there last week, Jesus you d feel for the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd feel for people who will be desperate enough to buy a house in the area, particularly the new build across the road.

Still though, if you can tell me where else I can get the entertainment of seeing a curly haired man in a vest and shorts doing aerobics on a set of kango boots in the mornings I'd like to hear it!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

^^^stick Gallagher and Ryan into a house there for a while, and see do they change their minds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

That Grimes fellow is useless, the cheek of him to say they are dealing with anti social behavior. They are doing fcuk all about it, the travellers rule the roost up there and he knows it.

Eamonn Quinlan has always voiced his concerns about that place to be fair to him.

I can't see how anyone would like to live in the front row of that new estate opposite them.....imagine looking at that squalor every day plus the antisocial behaviour.

I think the land beside the Gaelscoil is also to be developed so they will soon be running out of land to take over for their horses. Interesting to see what will happen then.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Well they are “travellers “ they can head off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Azatadine wrote: »
    Eamonn Quinlan has always voiced his concerns about that place to be fair to him.

I can't see how anyone would like to live in the front row of that new estate opposite them.....imagine looking at that squalor every day plus the antisocial behaviour.

I think the land beside the Gaelscoil is also to be developed so they will soon be running out of land to take over for their horses. Interesting to see what will happen then.

Yeah, im struggling to see how anybody bar greedy landlords offering short term rentals would choose to live in one of the new houses opposite the travellers. One look would be enough to put you off. It might become Templars Hall mark 2, a complete and utter no go area of travellers and students. Nobody seems to want to do anything about it so the problem will remain.
    I wonder how long a halting site would last if they set up home in Kings Channel? Mind you, the guards are so scared of the travellers that nothing would be done in that situation either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Is there something going on with this crowd this evening? Blue lights all over the Carrickphierish Rd at the minute.

Motivator wrote: »
    Is there something going on with this crowd this evening? Blue lights all over the Carrickphierish Rd at the minute.

There was a car crash involving a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I went up for a drive up around here before Christmas (when conditions last allowed for it). Based around comments in this thread I was expecting some type of warzone and my car to come under attack as I hastily made my exit.

Couldn't believe how normal everything was. Didn't see any rubbish - perhaps it'd just been cleaned. No roaming packs of thugs.

Anyone who thinks this area is bad should take a spin around the tougher parts of Limerick, Cork, Dublin or Belfast - you'll see proper poverty there.

People should rightly call out antisocial behaviour - however I'd encourage posters to contact the Gardai and their local representatives every time they post a complaint in this thread - at least then you'd be doing something constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

hardybuck wrote: »
    I went up for a drive up around here before Christmas (when conditions last allowed for it). Based around comments in this thread I was expecting some type of warzone and my car to come under attack as I hastily made my exit.

Couldn't believe how normal everything was. Didn't see any rubbish - perhaps it'd just been cleaned. No roaming packs of thugs.

Anyone who thinks this area is bad should take a spin around the tougher parts of Limerick, Cork, Dublin or Belfast - you'll see proper poverty there.

People should rightly call out antisocial behaviour - however I'd encourage posters to contact the Gardai and their local representatives every time they post a complaint in this thread - at least then you'd be doing something constructive.

Understand what you are saying. However, I used to cycle along the Carrickpherish road at least once a week but stopped because it felt too intimidating and risky with travellers on both sides of the road and there was a loose horse once which clearly is very dangerous for cyclists.

Like you at Christmas I decided to cycle long the Carrickpherish road to see how things were. On the way out a teenager pretended to be tying his shoe laces and as I passed jumped at me to try and knock me of my bike. On the way back a teenager from a roaming packs of thugs ran at me waving a stick to intimidate me.

As you say, I know Waterford is more prosperous than many parts of the country, the begrudgery we get is a sign of that. However, there is a rough crowd after moving in around the Carrickpherish road. You have to be careful. It is different when you are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

Someone got shot twice up there, but shur you took a spin up there so it must be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭spaceCreated

The rubbish is being cleaned up by the council, costing 7-8k a week iirc, Waterford News and Star have done a piece on it this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement