Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport to stop cars picking up passengers outside terminals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Environmental benefits makes me laugh. Everyone getting dropped off and picked up is either going on or coming off a plane. What percentage of their carbon footprint for their trip is made up by being dropped off/collected by a car in front of the terminal?

Environmental benefits makes me laugh. Everyone getting dropped off and picked up is either going on or coming off a plane. What percentage of their carbon footprint for their trip is made up by being dropped off/collected by a car in front of the terminal?
    dropped off/picked up by a car that by 2030 will most likely be electric powered by wind turbines to a greater or lesser extent.
    if that part of the service is being removed by Dublin Airport they should at least reduce their passenger fee which the airlines incur to be ultimately be paid by the customer in their ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Its all about making more money that's all.
    Maybe one day we get the City Centre to Airport Underground sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This will just move the problem elsewhere. People will just get picked up at the McDonalds or at the car hire pick up spot beside the T2 car park

mick087 wrote: »
    Its all about making more money that's all.
    Maybe one day we get the City Centre to Airport Underground sorted out.
    Frankfurt Airport has all that additional infrastructure in place and even then FRAPORT as a commercial entity give 10 free minutes set-down time.

This is a bare-faced extortion racket from a greedy company which cares not one jot that it is owned by the Citizens of Ireland.

The Government should be protecting the public from this.

• Advertisement

Frankfurt Airport has all that additional infrastructure in place and even then FRAPORT as a commercial entity give 10 free minutes set-down time.

This is a bare-faced extortion racket from a greedy company which cares not one jot that it is owned by the Citizens of Ireland.

The Government should be protecting the public from this.

I been to a fair few airports some have free drop down some pay for 20 mins or something like that.
    I agree its just greed and to help pay a bigger dividends.

mick087 wrote: »
    I been to a fair few airports some have free drop down some pay for 20 mins or something like that.
    I agree its just greed and to help pay a bigger dividends.
    Dividends?
    Others have their view on where the money should go. https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0211/767365-daa-dividends/
    Considering how many revenue sources the DAA already has between all the franchises, passenger fees and parking charges it returns very little to Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's already been pointed out in this very thread that this system is used in various airports around the world. The Irish are not in anyway being special on this one.

And in various airports around the world it's not used at all...

Dividends?
    Others have their view on where the money should go. https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0211/767365-daa-dividends/
    Considering how many revenue sources the DAA already has between all the franchises, passenger fees and parking charges it returns very little to Government.

You can be asured of one thing staff wont see any of this money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

DAA claim its to encourage people to take public transport which is a joke as they charge for public transport operators to drop off and pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Why not build a cell phone parking lot on the far side of the M1? (Baskin Ln area) Free for 30 mins. Then when someone is ready, drive up, pick up and off you go. Keeps everyone away from the airport but readily connected to major ingress/egress routes?

Spent too much time in Dublin Airport over the years, both leaving and picking up, and it's a nightmare versus other airports. If it was a euro to park up in the short term for an hour, I'd do it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I don't see the problem with DA catching up with other airports, Belfast charges £1 for 10 minutes.

You can even hang out at the Applegreen on the old Swords road, have a coffee or something, the live arrivals are displayed on the screens there and it takes less than 5 mins to get up to the terminals...

What is a laugh is the Green Snoozer himself saying this is for "environmental reasons" and to encourage the use of public transport which is a joke... Busses only work if you live along the main route from the city centre to the airport, no train, no Luas, no Uber... And the Taxi fares cost more than the flights...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

As long as its free for up to 15 minutes. OK with that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a fair point about the Green aspect. Private motorists will just loiter with engines running and congest areas near to the airport campus, it will cause more emissions and more road safety risks not less.

If they are so concerned about people parking in the set down areas and buggering off into the airport, then assign some of those now underworked DAA staff to act as wardens preventing drivers from leaving vehicles as they arrive.

The time I got out of my car to try to find someone in the drop-off area (I know, not meant to pick people up) I was told within 10 seconds to get back in or I'd be towed. Is there really an issue with people leaving their cars?

Part of what I love about Dublin Airport is how easy the car access is. It looks like a mess at peak times but I've never been held up for more than a minute or two in 15-20 visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with DA catching up with other airports, Belfast charges £1 for 10 minutes.

Aldergrove does. And you get cars lined up both sides of the approach roads waiting and pickups/drop offs from the roundabout at the entrance.

City has the first 15mins free. You get a few waiting for a phonecall down the road, but mostly people check the time and go straight in to pick up. Never once had to actually pay to drop off or pick up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

alentejo wrote: »
    As long as its free for up to 15 minutes. OK with that

I dont think it will be and I base that on the DAA saying they will provide a free drop off/ pick up area at the red car park. If they planned to have the first 15 minutes free I think they would have mentioned it by now.

I'm glad this topic has come up, maybe the title can change to "Dublin airport: the least connected airport in Western Europe?"

For me I can cycle to the Airport quicker than I can get the 2 or 3 Dublin Busses to it, and can fly to most places in Europe cheaper than I can get a return taxi for...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

bpb101 wrote: »
    Get public funding for the terminals and runways and rightly so.

They don't.
    People pay road tax, to use the roads.

So what. Motor tax doesn't entitle you to drive onto someone else's private property, never mind load/unload or park for free on it.
    Also doesn’t surprise me that they announced this 2 months after we get a green minister for transport who hates planes and wants to make air travel more difficult and more expensive

You can be sure that any aviation taxes, departure charges or whatever won't be a couple of euro per trip. It's a bit much for a passenger being collected to moan about a couple of euro when they're saving the cost of a taxi fare - and yeah the person being collected should definitely be the one paying it.

Life ain't always empty.

So what. Motor tax doesn't entitle you to drive onto someone else's private property, never mind load/unload or park for free on it.
    The Citizens of Ireland own the DAA and its assets.
    The Citizens of Ireland include those from outside the Greater Dublin area and even those within the greater Dublin Area would find it quite difficult to reach the Airport by public transport.
    Having lived under the flight path of the Airport it was exasperating to be so close to the airport but if I wished to use public transport to get to the airport I would be looking at a 2 hour journey. The privately operated bus service between the Airport and this heavily populated part of Dublin was not viable(at any price or with any reasonable level of subvention) and ceased to operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The Citizens of Ireland own the DAA and its assets.
    The Citizens of Ireland include those from outside the Greater Dublin area and even those within the greater Dublin Area would find it quite difficult to reach the Airport by public transport.
    Having lived under the flight path of the Airport it was exasperating to be so close to the airport but if I wished to use public transport to get to the airport I would be looking at a 2 hour journey. The privately operated bus service between the Airport and this heavily populated part of Dublin was not viable(at any price or with any reasonable level of subvention) and ceased to operate.

If the 'Citizens of Ireland' do in fact own the DAA, then by paying for parking they are adding value to an asset that they have an interest in, so it's a net win.

And you can still reach the airport the airport by private car. Nobody is stopping you from doing that. The only difference is that you might have to pay a nominal fee to wait to collect someone.

What is the issue here in reality, other than stinginess?

I agree with you there, getting to the Airport is Taxi only and bus if you're lucky enough to live along the Drumcondra road, or if you have someone who'll get up early or go out late to drop/collect you.. And they shouldn't have to pay within reason..

If you recall about 10 or so years ago there was a bus which ran from Howth to the Airport.. but was discontinued due to lack of use... I mean if you have to catch a flight at say 6.30am, you don't want to be waiting at the side of the road at say 5am for a bus that may never show or be late..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I really can't understand the stinginess of people not wanting to pay a few bob to pick up their snowflakes. But I am not sure yet if there is a free window for waiting either. So what if an arriving passenger texts you and updates you that they are out of Immigration, have collected their bags etc. A little wait like that is not that difficult. If it is life or death, get a cab. That should be the norm so cars picking people up won't tear the ass out it. Dropping off is no issue.

Anyway it is a moot point at the moment, there are no Qs and I'd say few care right now, just happy that Some people are coming and going on Essential Travel journeys lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m about a 13 minute drive from T2 the Internet confirms.

It also confirms that to access it using public transport other than a taxi will take me 48 minutes...

10 minute walk to the stop (with bags)

10 minute wait on arrival for the bus

7 minute bus ride

get off the bus

3 minute wait

18 minute bus ride..

Arrive

So everything going to plan ...

13 minutes in one car, bags in boot, warm, dry, no hassle...

Or 48 minutes, lugging bags up the road, onto a bus, off the bus, walk a min onto another bus, off the bus....

A no brainer... but my original argument to the greens.... put public transportation (metro) in place and cars ARE off the road....

Don’t fail and STILL maintain people should be using public transportation like I outlined... unsatisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am a twenty five minute or so drive across the M50 to the airport, but won't leave the house until MY snowflake is waiting outside for me. Life lesson and it's no bother either.

Don't get all the angst TBH. But I certainly agree that PT options are limited. That's not right either.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Fair play to Dublin Airport for introducing this charge

Any time I wish to pickup/leave off passengers the set down area is always occupied

It’s occupied by drivers who have abandoned their vehicles and are inside the terminal waiting for their loved ones to arrive

They then proceed to go for a coffee and a chat - all this time their car is parked outside for free

Because of the unsociable and selfish behavior of a few we will now all be penalised

Strumms wrote: »
    A no brainer... but my original argument to the greens.... put public transportation (metro) in place and cars ARE off the road....

Same point with the Bus route, if you're not on the Metro route then tough luck, back to the Taxi or been driven there...
    I mean I can't even securely park my bicycle at the Terminal if I wanted to, never mind get a Tram or train..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'd feel much less strongly about this if they'd built the DART spur to the airport.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m about a 13 minute drive from T2 the Internet confirms.

It also confirms that to access it using public transport other than a taxi will take me 48 minutes...

10 minute walk to the stop (with bags)

10 minute wait on arrival for the bus

7 minute bus ride

get off the bus

3 minute wait

18 minute bus ride..

Arrive

So everything going to plan ...

13 minutes in one car, bags in boot, warm, dry, no hassle...

Or 48 minutes, lugging bags up the road, onto a bus, off the bus, walk a min onto another bus, off the bus....

Don’t fail and STILL maintain people should be using public transportation like I outlined... unsatisfactory.

12 - 15 minute drive for me, door to work carpark, if I was to use Public Transport it’s a minimum of 3 buses and a minimum of 1 and a half hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Same point with the Bus route, if you're not on the Metro route then tough luck, back to the Taxi or been driven there...
    I mean I can't even securely park my bicycle at the Terminal if I wanted to, never mind get a Tram or train..

Yes, With buses there are route(S). Buses don’t rely on defined infrastructure to get somewhere aside from a choice of roadways. That’s the major difference... and with a cab ... you might depending where you live now, get a cab to the airport, 35 quid there, same back. Might end up costing you more than the price of your flight.

In time, you might spend 9 euros in a cab from West Dublin to reach your metro, jump on.... total cost 14 euros vs 35....anywhere ON the metro route you save more.

Advertisement