Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

• 03-04-2020 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

I know how long is a price of string but surely Tipp and Dublin can't be awarded AI titles without a ball even been thrown in. Will it ultimately come to games behind close doors and the old traditional knock out formula? Hopefully games can get under way by mid to late Summer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

billyhead wrote: »
    I know how long is a price of string but surely Tipp and Dublin can't be awarded AI titles without a ball even been thrown in. Will it ultimately come to games behind close doors and the old traditional knock out formula? Hopefully games can get under way by mid to late Summer.

One thing is for sure, neither Tipp nor Dublin will be awarded titles without a ball being thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Hopefully we will get a championship and I hope it will be run on the old knock-out format. I would be delighted if that transpires. Football has become more and more predictable since it was abandoned almost 20 years ago. Old format also guaranteed the importance of the provincial championships. You would never have seen teams accepting the provincial trophy while looking like they'd just won a challenge match back in the straight knock-out days!
    Hurling might be a different matter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

It will be a great day when teams run out onto pitches again hopefully we will be all able to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

billyhead wrote: »

Is this a wind up? Tipp and Dublin awarded All Irelands? Would ya get real. Nobody proposed such a daft idea. Least of all Dublin and Tipp. Why even mention it?

Fred Daly wrote: »
    It will be a great day when teams run out onto pitches again hopefully we will be all able to see it.

It surely will. We'll love it more than ever when its back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is this a wind up? Tipp and Dublin awarded All Irelands? Would ya get real. Nobody proposed such a daft idea. Least of all Dublin and Tipp. Why even mention it?

The Gaa have said that's what will happen if no Championship happens. It was mentioned on Newstalk radio the other day. Complete farce if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

It was on Newstalk on Wednesday (April 1st)....

It surely will. We'll love it more than ever when its back.

Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Condense the games , championship with a few games on the same time
    / weekend. Playing every weekend. Take a break before senior finals and finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hopefully a decison on the format will be made soon

I knw theres more important things but having the championship to look forward too is some bit of an escape from all the current affairs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If it comes to a point where there's no Championships this year, I couldn't imagine them handing over the trophies to bewildered Dublin and Tipperary players in an empty Croke Park in September.

If it comes to a point where there's no Championships this year, I couldn't imagine them handing over the trophies to bewildered Dublin and Tipperary players in an empty Croke Park in September.

That was an April fools joke wasn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

patsman07 wrote: »
    Hopefully we will get a championship and I hope it will be run on the old knock-out format. I would be delighted if that transpires. Football has become more and more predictable since it was abandoned almost 20 years ago. Old format also guaranteed the importance of the provincial championships. You would never have seen teams accepting the provincial trophy while looking like they'd just won a challenge match back in the straight knock-out days!

The provincial winners in Munster and Connacht were just as predictable before the qualifiers. Sligo, Leitrim, New York, London, Clare, Waterford, Limerick and Tipperary might just as well have stayed at home.

When Leitrim and Clare did get a provincial win in the 1990's, they both played exactly one game the year after. Same for Derry the year after they won their only All Ireland. In the new system I think that more than 20 counties have reached the last 8.

Anyway the best team in the country should be determined by a home and away league, with promotion and relegation. It is a nonsense trying to turn the hundred year old lopsided knockout competition into something better by giving losers a second go, but at least it does give every county a couple of games.

If the knockout happens hopefully it reminds people that knockout is the way to go later in the year and those quarter final groups can die forever.

I know things are bad now and will probably get worse before they get a little better but i do hope and expect (could be badly wrong) that we will see a knock out championship this summer. Even August and Sept you could run it off. That gives us a bit of leeway please god.

One thing i cannot foresee is a full house in Thurles or Pair Ui Chaoimh or wherever. What about a packed Hill 16 bursting at the seams to see Dublin try do 6 in a row? I just cant see that being allowed or many fans even wanting it.

These desperate times may have changed match attendances for many years to come.

And what i would give now for few pre match drinks in the Confession Box or Clearys or the Clonliffe House or wherever. But will we see packed pubs this year? Or next? Im off the drink for a while but with all thats happened i would just love a bit of normality like that.

I think one thing is for sure. None of us will take for granted these simple pleasures again for as long as we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't get this love affair with going back to straight knockout.

It's a farce that the provincial championship is used as a qualifying for the All Ireland series as it is, never might going back to a time when it was the only means of qualifying.

In what world is it fair that a Connacht or Munster team can play as little as two games to get to the All Ireland series and a Ulster or Leinster team may have to play as many as four ?

Hopefully this current situation and it's fall out will be a catalyst for a proper change.

Open draw knockout would be class for one year. Might help accelerate the death of the provincials too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Open draw knockout would be class for one year. Might help accelerate the death of the provincials too.

Agree, it would be brilliant. Something to look forward to.

On the other hand as a Galway man I do not want to see an end to the Connacht Championship. I love it. While it is dominated by the Galway/Mayo rivalry; since I started going to games Roscommon have 4 and were runners up 5 times, Sligo have won it once and been runners up 4 times. Leitrim won it in 94 and were runners up in 2000. Even London made the final in '13.

It is plenty vibrant yet and if the tiered structure come to pass it will still allow the lower ranked teams their go at the higher ones. With a winnable prize at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

patsman07 wrote: »
    and if the old format does occur hopefully it's for one season and one season only. The work players, coaches put in deserves far better than that format.
    The provincial winners in Munster and Connacht were just as predictable before the qualifiers. Sligo, Leitrim, New York, London, Clare, Waterford, Limerick and Tipperary might just as well have stayed at home.

When Leitrim and Clare did get a provincial win in the 1990's, they both played exactly one game the year after. Same for Derry the year after they won their only All Ireland. In the new system I think that more than 20 counties have reached the last 8.

Anyway the best team in the country should be determined by a home and away league, with promotion and relegation. It is a nonsense trying to turn the hundred year old lopsided knockout competition into something better by giving losers a second go, but at least it does give every county a couple of games.
    a league based competition with end of year playoffs should determine all Ireland winner with provincial cups played as well in off weeks to the league. These if spaced off appropriately could allow far more time for club games as well
    I don't get this love affair with going back to straight knockout.

It's a farce that the provincial championship is used as a qualifying for the All Ireland series as it is, never might going back to a time when it was the only means of qualifying.

In what world is it fair that a Connacht or Munster team can play as little as two games to get to the All Ireland series and a Ulster or Leinster team may have to play as many as four ?

Hopefully this current situation and it's fall out will be a catalyst for a proper change.
    provincial competitions still should be kept but I agree that you cant go back to what was in place pre qualifiers.
    provincial championships not bring played would be very backwards step to take.

Provincial championships in their current guise are backward in themselves.

• Advertisement

If there's a championship it'll be old format for hurling, and not sure what they'll do with football but it would have to be significantly condensed.

It will be one year only. They won't can the second tier championship for football before it's even piloted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Provincial championships in their current guise are backward in themselves.

We'll have to disagree on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

If it wasn't for the qualifiers I barely would have any childhood GAA memories, Derry were often knocked out first round by Tyrone in the early 2000s and we went on family trips to the games, for example Derry v Wexford in Parnell Park. Regardless of what you think of the structure they still created many outings and memories for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

I think the provincial championships are a good thing. Introducing a league/group structure introduces less incentive to win and give people less reward for winning a title. Assuming whoever wins their group goes straight to the semi like a Munster or Leinster championship, who would really care? Every county would celebrate winning their province to a certain extent because there's alot of local rivalries that go back generations which are now built into the all Ireland series due the provinces. It's alot sweeter for Clare to win Munster beating Cork and Kerry on the way then to go through their group beating Meath, Mayo and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Looking at this through a hurling lens only for a moment I can see the Leinster and Munster round robin games being played off over 6 weekends (including rest weekends) from the middle of June to the end of July. This will be done behind closed doors to fulfill TV deals. Provincial finals the August weekend: I think the situation will have improved by then based on current numbers and predictions, and you will have full houses at both. AI semi finals two weeks later on Sat and Sunday as usual. AI final as close to the first Sunday in September as possible then. Given that soccer teams in Germany are back training I do think that mid May is reasonable for inter county teams to get back training.

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Looking at this through a hurling lens only for a moment I can see the Leinster and Munster round robin games being played off over 6 weekends (including rest weekends) from the middle of June to the end of July. This will be done behind closed doors to fulfill TV deals. Provincial finals the August weekend: I think the situation will have improved by then based on current numbers and predictions, and you will have full houses at both. AI semi finals two weeks later on Sat and Sunday as usual. AI final as close to the first Sunday in September as possible then. Given that soccer teams in Germany are back training I do think that mid May is reasonable for inter county teams to get back training.

Won't happen they've already mentioned a knockout format with a start date in mid June. They want to be as close to the current all Ireland final dates as possible.

Government will have the say on crowds, but there could be significant political pressure in that regard if other sporting events aren't treated the same or other large events such as concerts.

I think it's not a great idea to do things behind closed doors. For the players the atmosphere will be different and harder to hurl in if non of the fans show up to cheer them on. Not to mention the GAA will lose alot of money.
    In my opinion a knockout situation would ruin the championship. It's a good thing that we left it after 97', because the championship is more interesting with it.
    In general we're facing a poor championship or no championship. Which will you take?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Feenie wrote: »
    I think it's not a great idea to do things behind closed doors. For the players the atmosphere will be different and harder to hurl in if non of the fans show up to cheer them on. Not to mention the GAA will lose alot of money.
    In my opinion a knockout situation would ruin the championship. It's a good thing that we left it after 97', because the championship is more interesting with it.
    In general we're facing a poor championship or no championship. Which will you take?

I'd settle for two flies pucking a ball to each other at this stage:) Mind you looking at data from one of the number crunchers on Twitter the number of new cases admitted to hospital with Covid has gone from 131 on the 30th March to 62 a few days ago and ICU admissions from 29 to 4. Dare I say we are past the peak and can look at a return to training at least by the end of the month?

I'd settle for two flies pucking a ball to each other at this stage:) Mind you looking at data from one of the number crunchers on Twitter the number of new cases admitted to hospital with Covid has gone from 131 on the 30th March to 62 a few days ago and ICU admissions from 29 to 4. Dare I say we are past the peak and can look at a return to training at least by the end of the month?

I never knew that last part.
    Yeah, I'll agree with you there pal. training by the end of the month seems plausible and I hope for it. I'm dying to get back with the lads.
    An idea being thrown around is club championship only since A. Less people come the matches and 2. not everyone plays county but everyone plays for a club, so it's more fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If knockout do-or die football is what the people crave, why do we not get enormous crowds at qualifier games?

Carlow and Longford played a first round qualifier last year that should tick all the cliché boxes people love. Winnable game for both teams, summer game, do-or-die championship match etc. but the crowd was pretty sparse.

Why would having the same game as a straight knockout Leinster 1st round improve the crowd?

Advertisement