Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus in waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Sure that is the point. The HSE is following an international researched based approach to dealing with this. Not to be highlighting specific locations of cases because it spreads fear and can stops people coming forward.

“I for one am grateful...” Christ, you sound like a subservient underling.

It's the HSE who need to announce these things, Darren knew this well but can't help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Gardner wrote: »
    Skelton shouldn't have opened is big mouth until the hospital announced it. there should a complete ban on media announcing anything before Hospitals, HSE etc.
    BTW it didn't take long for his brother to come on here and mouth off also.

I think anything you have to say about him should be ignored. A quick look at all your previous posts show that you have an agenda against him. Probably because he criticised your buddy/brother John hallogan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Another question. The hospital management were informed by the manager. I assume what happened here is that one of those hospital staff told a journalist because if they broke the news themselves they’d be suspended or fired. So who should we rely on for the news? I genuinely think this is a case of people picking on the media because they have nobody else to take their frustrations out on.

We have a meeting in the GAA club today btw. I assume it’s about matches and training being cancelled.

Quite an assumption to make given you are not privy to any information (unless you are and are not telling us).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Gardner

DLS_75 wrote: »
    I think anything you have to say about him should be ignored. A quick look at all your previous posts show that you have an agenda against him. Probably because he criticised your buddy/brother John hallogan

is John in the christian brothers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Sure that is the point. The HSE is following an international researched based approach to dealing with this. Not to be highlighting specific locations of cases because it spreads fear and can stops people coming forward.

“I for one am grateful...” Christ, you sound like a subservient underling.
    Wow, it's clearly you that is subservient to the HSE in a pathetically spineless way. These hospitals are acting unilaterally precisely because the government ISN'T acting in the best interest of the public. By not informing the public of where the virus is spreading (as is happening ACROSS the globe in spite of GDPR) people are at high risk in certain places and don't even know it.

Do you think all the employees of Apple and Abtran and Google shouldn't have known that they were at risk going into work? Because those companies also acted independently of the wishes of the HSE in order to protect the public. All the local councils cancelled the individual parades, to put pressure on the government to stop this. All the nursing homes brought in restrictions to protect their high-risk clients.

This IS spreading freely in the community on a scale that we CANNOT currently detect with the circular testing measures. This is the third case of a critically ill person being admitted to hospital and only being tested DESPITE HSE protocol because he was at death's door. With this picture in mind, tell me now that the HSE are acting in the best interest of the public.

I obviously want to be in support of anyone who attempts to protect the country from a deadly virus, I wish these shortcomings did not exist with the organisation. But you cannot, in dogged support of the HSE, turn a blind eye to the ways they are currently endangering the health of the Irish public, clearly to suit some economic goal which is not their actual remit, but that of the government.

• Advertisement

DT talking about this and doing his worst "sympathy tone" where HE sounds like the one who needs cheering up.

Talking to the mother of a type 1 diabetic who was beside the known carrier for 4 days, not been tested. Pity the line is so terrible.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Gardner wrote: »
    Skelton shouldn't have opened is big mouth until the hospital announced it. there should a complete ban on media announcing anything before Hospitals, HSE etc.
    BTW it didn't take long for his brother to come on here and mouth off also.

Change the ****ing record will you, I merely asked a genuine question, you need to drop your obsession with Darren. Ask you pal John Halligan about how upfront the HSE generally are, if we were to wait for them, then it would never have been announced.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Change the ****ing record will you, I merely asked a genuine question, you need to drop your obsession with Darren. Ask you pal John Halligan about how upfront the HSE generally are, if we were to wait for them, then it would never have been announced.

you really are an idiot

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

1-B378-C57-C130-4-B2-E-B3-EE-5-AF0-AD72-B9-B7.jpg

Life is to short to be worrying about people like you

hero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Wow, it's clearly you that is subservient to the HSE in a pathetically spineless way. These hospitals are acting unilaterally precisely because the government ISN'T acting in the best interest of the public. By not informing the public of where the virus is spreading (as is happening ACROSS the globe in spite of GDPR) people are at high risk in certain places and don't even know it.

Do you think all the employees of Apple and Abtran and Google shouldn't have known that they were at risk going into work? Because those companies also acted independently of the wishes of the HSE in order to protect the public. All the local councils cancelled the individual parades, to put pressure on the government to stop this. All the nursing homes brought in restrictions to protect their high-risk clients.

This IS spreading freely in the community on a scale that we CANNOT currently detect with the circular testing measures. This is the third case of a critically ill person being admitted to hospital and only being tested DESPITE HSE protocol because he was at death's door. With this picture in mind, tell me now that the HSE are acting in the best interest of the public.

I obviously want to be in support of anyone who attempts to protect the country from a deadly virus, I wish these shortcomings did not exist with the organisation. But you cannot, in dogged support of the HSE, turn a blind eye to the ways they are currently endangering the health of the Irish public, clearly to suit some economic goal which is not their actual remit, but that of the government.

Wow indeed. Or should I say WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I doubt the hospital would have announced anything about the case, Darren was right to release the info. People in Medical 7 still waiting to be tested which is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Doesn't matter who "broke" the story every whatsapp group in town would have it last night ,but i do think the local media have a part to play and should not be making people more worried then they are,last weeks News & Star front page was prime example of this,basically saying that if you catch this and end up in Ardkeen then then there is a very good chance you will die.

From reading here it looks like its the News & Star vs WLR and who will get the "story" first,maybe all media outlets in Waterford should come together and come up with a solution on how best to report this.

Pool the media and have an arrangement with the hospital to be briefed every day at 6 PM or maybe still still 8 AM. Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

The penny hasn't really dropped with so many people yet. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion, except we're all inside the car.
    We will be Italy in a fortnight except without enough ICU beds.
    Our government should be decreeing the extreme preventative measures that Italy are only enforcing this week, NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Pool the media and have an arrangement with the hospital to be briefed every day at 6 PM or maybe still still 8 AM. Something like that.

They can’t even figure out how to test for this properly so I’d imagine communication is down the pecking order of importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

The new building in the hospital is the best isolation wards in the country. All beds are in individual isolated rooms. So if procedure is right the place should be well set for it.
    The problems will arise when/if we get enough serious cases that need to be ventilated and the hospital/country won't have enough ventilators . Then doctors will have to decide who needs the ventilators more. This is happening in Italy now doctors deciding who to leave die.
    Not to be politically but I don't think anyone can say the have confidence in minister Harris etc. They couldn't handle slow building problems like housing and health before ,so I dread to think how this will turn out when it starts escalating quickly.

The penny hasn't really dropped with so many people yet. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion, except we're all inside the car.
    Our government should be decreeing the extreme preventative measures that Italy are only enforcing this week, NOW.

Yes I agree we are in for a difficult time over the next few months. But it is not that simple, Italy has an older population than Ireland and therefore has more people in the high risk group. It is headlines like Ireland in a few weeks will be like Italy now are the type of panic generating stories that are not giving the full true picture. Which is helping nobody at the moment.

looking at 2016 census for waterford city roughly 25% of the population is over 50. We dont know how it will affect Ireland but as it is Irelands testing is really not that extensive

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Yes I agree we are in for a difficult time over the next few months. But it is not that simple, Italy has an older population than Ireland and therefore has more people in the high risk group. It is headlines like Ireland in a few weeks will be like Italy now are the type of panic generating stories that are not giving the full true picture. Which is helping nobody at the moment.
    I'm not advocating public panic. I am advocating a radical government response that, with good official communication, notification etc. will allay panic and, more importantly, contain the spread of the virus enough to allow our health service to cope.
    Contacts I have in Italy are wondering why the rest of the EU are not learning from their experience and acting accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I must be one of the few people who think the likes of HSE are doing a decent job on this, communication is good, looks like HSE/govt are learning from what is happening elsewhere, lets face it there are going to be hundreds of cases in a short period of time here no matter what you do right now. there are medical experts who seem to be advising and leading this, they know when the right time is to take the right action.
    I'm more worried about the B.S.people are posting and saying in real life and Irish peoples lack of civic mindedness or working as a cooperative collective which will be essential when this progresses. The likes of taking the precautions advised by govt and it's agencies.we've all seen people not bother their ar$€ doing the hand sanitizer at the hospital entrance, we've already seen panic buying start for toilet too for jeebus sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I must be one of the few people who think the likes of HSE are doing a decent job on this, communication is good, looks like HSE/govt are learning from what is happening elsewhere, lets face it there are going to be hundreds of cases in a short period of time here no matter what you do right now. there are medical experts who seem to be advising and leading this, they know when the right time is to take the right action.
    I'm more worried about the B.S.people are posting and saying in real life and Irish peoples lack of civic mindedness or working as a cooperative collective which will be essential when this progresses. The likes of taking the precautions advised by govt and it's agencies.we've all seen people not bother their ar$€ doing the hand sanitizer at the hospital entrance, we've already seen panic buying start for toilet too for jeebus sake.

Lack of Civic mindedness = Nail on the head. Too many idiots posting on social media trying to look like hard men who know better then the real experts.

...good official communication, notification etc...

Sure the Taoiseach said the other day in a info session that we are in for a difficult time, this is for real, hard decisions will be needed etc. How much more clearer than that can the government put it about what we are facing.
    ...allow our health service to cope...

If the health service could cope it would not be a crisis. I think some people think the government can wave a magic wand and make this better. I’m afraid the reality is this is just going to happen like it or not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm not advocating public panic. I am advocating a radical government response that, with good official communication, notification etc. will allay panic and, more importantly, contain the spread of the virus enough to allow our health service to cope.
    Contacts I have in Italy are wondering why the rest of the EU are not learning from their experience and acting accordingly.

Communication has been made, recommendations have also been made to people. Funding has been put in place along with planning.

What more do you want?

This situation is an awkward one, you close down a country completely like Italy when there's no need and you'll throw it into a recession. Then we'll have people like yourself commenting about how the government has overreacted and caused 1,000's to be a out of jobs needlessly.

We live in unprecedented times, the last time the world had to deal with something like this was really the Spanish flu and back then the likes of UK, USA, Germany, France all ignored it...but Spain didn't, they reported on it and thats why its called the Spanish Flu.

Ireland;s response is fairly measured so far and it makes sense, its practical and imho well communicated through a number of mediums. We didn't jump the gun and knee jerk cancel St Patricks but we known the less eventually cancelled it as we saw things change. It had plenty of time to make the decision yet people were bitching and moaning on social media like it needed to be made ASAP.

By comparison the UK went ahead with Cheltenham which attracts upwards of 50k people each day! The USA is also basically a clusterf**k of incompetence and ignorance with the president trying to play it down....ironically repeating the same mistakes of the Spanish flu by playing it down.

In addition the Ireland';s changes to illness benefit are very much a positive move, the USA which by comparison has no such plans and has no real illness programmes so its going to end up with countless sick people going to work because they have no funds.

From Irish Times ref the death of the patient in the east
    The criteria for testing patients has been broadened this week to include those patients who have clinical respiratory symptoms but no history of travel to affected areas internationally. This is in recognition that the disease may be circulating in the community.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-ireland-records-first-death-in-patient-with-covid-19-1.4199223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Twas unfortunate that the positive case was on the ward 7. But he wasn't in there with the symptoms of Coruna. That could if happened anywhere.
    . In fairness to uhw they had there isolation procedure and new building set up since last Thursday and were just waiting for the patients to arrive.so they were prepared better than most places. Anyone who thinks this was going to skip Waterford is insane.
    There is also another floor prepared in case more space needed. 24 isolation beds and with the capacity fir another 24:beds on next floor. So 48 beds let's hope more aren't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Cabaal wrote: »
    Communication has been made, recommendations have also been made to people. Funding has been put in place along with planning.

What more do you want?

This situation is an awkward one, you close down a country completely like Italy when there's no need and you'll throw it into a recession. Then we'll have people like yourself commenting about how the government has overreacted and caused 1,000's to be a out of jobs needlessly.

We live in unprecedented times, the last time the world had to deal with something like this was really the Spanish flu and back then the likes of UK, USA, Germany, France all ignored it...but Spain didn't, they reported on it and thats why its called the Spanish Flu.

Ireland;s response is fairly measured so far and it makes sense, its practical and imho well communicated through a number of mediums. We didn't jump the gun and knee jerk cancel St Patricks but we known the less eventually cancelled it as we saw things change. It had plenty of time to make the decision yet people were bitching and moaning on social media like it needed to be made ASAP.

By comparison the UK went ahead with Cheltenham which attracts upwards of 50k people each day! The USA is also basically a clusterf**k of incompetence and ignorance with the president trying to play it down....ironically repeating the same mistakes of the Spanish flu by playing it down.

In addition the Ireland';s changes to illness benefit are very much a positive move, the USA which by comparison has no such plans and has no real illness programmes so its going to end up with countless sick people going to work because they have no funds.

Well flights to Italy were only banned this week despite experts calling them to be banned a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

first death reported in the country today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

first death reported in the country today.

And WHO are officially calling it a Pandemic

• Advertisement

If the worst comes to the worst Waterford is actually the best placed county to keep it at bay - with the Estuary/Suir, Blackwater and Celtic Sea accounting for all but about 20 miles of the boundary. Have checkpoints on the bridges and put in roadblocks between Lismore and Newcastle. :)

Advertisement