Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E3 visas

Options
  • 11-12-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Looks like it's down to just two senators opposing it. Hopefully this gets passed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Why can't they re enter it into the next congress after xmas? Surely if it had bi partisan support this time it would have it again

Irish Seanad passes Occupied Territories Bill at the beginning of December. Israel upset.

Cotton receives so much funding from Israeli groups that his Wikipedia page has a sub-heading on it comes out of nowhere in mid-December to block E3 Bill for Ireland. He wasn't one of the original six senators who opposed in November, he only did so after the Seanad vote on israel.

It's that simple.

Why can't they re enter it into the next congress after xmas? Surely if it had bi partisan support this time it would have it again

It would have to start from scratch and go through committee etc and I'm guessing the Democrats have more important priorities.

Also worth remembering the original E3 visa came about as part of a FTA with Australia and was rumoured at the time to be due to Australia sending troops to support the war in Iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Irish Seanad passes Occupied Territories Bill at the beginning of December. Israel upset.

Cotton receives so much funding from Israeli groups that his Wikipedia page has a sub-heading on it comes out of nowhere in mid-December to block E3 Bill for Ireland. He wasn't one of the original six senators who opposed in November, he only did so after the Seanad vote on israel.

It's that simple.

what a total load of BS from Seanad Eireann.

An unelected body passes a bill championed by some former musician that has some romantic view about an autocratic region thousands of miles away that ends up stopping well educated Irish people getting the chance to live and work in America

fcuk this country and the left leaning idiots that have too much influence in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

fcuk this country and the left leaning idiots that have too much influence in it.

I guess you could always apply for a visa and fcuk of out of this country then...I’m sure you would fit in well in Israel!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

what a total load of BS from Seanad Eireann.

An unelected body passes a bill championed by some former musician that has some romantic view about an autocratic region thousands of miles away that ends up stopping well educated Irish people getting the chance to live and work in America

MOD

Leave the politics out of this forum please. Read the charter before you post again. You can discuss the travel implications of this, but NO POLITICS.
    frag420 wrote: »
    I guess you could always apply for a visa and fcuk of out of this country then...I’m sure you would fit in well in Israel!

MOD

Do not post in this thread again. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Any update on this?? What was with Leo mentioning it in his Trump visit?

Is it back on the table?? (I thought it was dead in the water...)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

amdublin wrote: »
    Any update on this?? What was with Leo mentioning it in his Trump visit?

Is it back on the table?? (I thought it was dead in the water...)

Trump supports it, and it is down to the Senate.
    The Irish Examiner says Trump got personally involved to try and make progress in getting it passed.

They say Trump and Pence both spoke to Senator Cotton, and now the bill is going to be refiled in Congress for approval.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fresh-efforts-to-secure-us-work-visas-for-irish-citizens-911301.html

RobertKK wrote: »
    Trump supports it, and it is down to the Senate.
    The Irish Examiner says Trump got personally involved to try and make progress in getting it passed.

They say Trump and Pence both spoke to Senator Cotton, and now the bill is going to be refiled in Congress for approval.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fresh-efforts-to-secure-us-work-visas-for-irish-citizens-911301.html

That's not exactly the case.

It has to get through the House of Representatives first.
    The old bill that went through the House is now dead as it's a new house, so any E3 bill will have to start from scratch again.

And someone tell the Irish Examiner that Cotton is from Arkansas, not Arizona.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Reference: H.R.7164 - To add Ireland to the E-3 nonimmigrant visa program

Fathom wrote: »
    Reference:
    H.R.7164 - To add Ireland to the E-3 nonimmigrant visa program

I did not read all that document but close to the top it says 115th Congress

That's the old Congress, we are now in the 116th.

The bill has to be reintroduced in the 116th, I know the Examiner article said it would but only when it does can anything further happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I did not read all that document but close to the top it says 115th Congress

That's the old Congress, we are now in the 116th.

The bill has to be reintroduced in the 116th, I know the Examiner article said it would but only when it does can anything further happen.

So Fathom just gave half the subscribers to the visa lottery thread, a heart attack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

It's been introduced as HR 2418 in the 116th Congress; because I'm a new user I can't post a direct link :D

My understanding from the limited news reporting is that it might eventually be attached to a bigger spending bill so that it wouldn't require unanimous consent in the Senate. In this case I'd imagine it's quite likely to pass.

Honestly, I don't really think it's in the interest of the Irish Government for this to pass. It seems to be motivated mostly by the romantic notion of historical Irish immigration to America. Practically speaking it's basically going to be a mechanism for talented and hard-working Irish people (often educated at the Irish Government's expense) to take their skills out of Ireland.

Honestly, I don't really think it's in the interest of the Irish Government for this to pass. It seems to be motivated mostly by the romantic notion of historical Irish immigration to America. Practically speaking it's basically going to be a mechanism for talented and hard-working Irish people (often educated at the Irish Government's expense) to take their skills out of Ireland.

Eh, sorry whats wrong with that?

You can't apply your Irish nanny state tactics to this. Saying you can't do X because of Y.

Telling young, well educated and talented Irish people that you can't move to America because it will hurt the Irish economy is bullsh1t, bottom line.

I think you misunderstood me! I'm 100% for well educated and talented Irish people moving to America, I did it myself after graduating with my essentially free Irish college degree :D

I was speaking about the Government. It's not really in the Government's interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I think you misunderstood me! I'm 100% for well educated and talented Irish people moving to America, I did it myself after graduating with my essentially free Irish college degree :D

I was speaking about the Government. It's not really in the Government's interest...

You're correct, it's not in the governments interest.

However it is in citizens interests and they'll be quite upset at their TDs if they stand in the way. The Irish government won't interfere with this in the slightest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I think you misunderstood me! I'm 100% for well educated and talented Irish people moving to America, I did it myself after graduating with my essentially free Irish college degree :D I was speaking about the Government. It's not really in the Government's interest...
    Similar problem exists in America. Rural states educate residents, and after benefiting from lower state tuition, leave state for higher paying metros. They call it "brain drain" from rural to urban.

Similar problem exists in America. Rural states educate residents, and after benefiting from lower state tuition, leave state for higher paying metros. They call it "brain drain" from rural to urban.

Now imagine the government taking measures (or just plain whining/guilting the younger population) to prevent these rural folk from moving to the big cities. That's basically Ireland. Nanny State.

Too many alcoholics? Every responsible drinker is punished
    Too many gamblers? Every responsible gambler is punished

• Advertisement

The text of the new bill has now gone up ... the E-Verify requirement for employers is still there, but as of right now it doesn't prioritize Australians over Irish citizens for the visa. Presumably that will change as the Australian government lobby gets into motion....

Not sure that's correct:

(a) In General.—Section 101(a)(15)(E)(iii) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(E)(iii)) is amended by inserting “or, on a basis of reciprocity as determined by the Secretary of State, a national of Ireland,” after “Australia”.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/2418/text?r=2

The line it's amending reads,
    ...solely to perform services in a specialty occupation in the United States if the alien is a national of the Commonwealth of Australia and with respect to whom...

so all it's saying is that Irish nationals are also eligible, but there's nothing about priority. The mechanism by which Australians get priority is a bit more complicated and can be seen in the version of the law that passed the House last year.

Fair enough.
    Why would they have submitted the older version of the bill?

jme2010 wrote: »
    Now imagine the government taking measures (or just plain whining/guilting the younger population) to prevent these rural folk from moving to the big cities. That's basically Ireland. Nanny State.
    Alternative in some US states. You are given state university scholarship. After graduation you must stay for 3 more years. MD degree scholarships may require longer. 5 to 10 years rural.

Alternative in some US states. You are given state university scholarship. After graduation you must stay for 3 more years. MD degree scholarships may require longer. 5 to 10 years rural.

Yeah, same at some companies that pay for your post grads. You agree to stay for a fixed time in exchange. You can leave if you want but you have to pay back tuition.

At least that's incentive and not just guilt propaganda "Irelands children, come home" crap.

jme2010 wrote: »
    Yeah, same at some companies that pay for your post grads. You agree to stay for a fixed time in exchange. You can leave if you want but you have to pay back tuition.
    My read too in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

What ever happened with this? It's still showing as "introduced" on the congress.gov site but there's no news about it. Did Tom Cotton block it again?

US military has university scholarships ROTC etc. After graduation do a tour of duty.

• Advertisement

What ever happened with this? It's still showing as "introduced" on the congress.gov site but there's no news about it. Did Tom Cotton block it again?

It has to go through the full process again starting with committee hearings. I don't expect this will ever become law.

Advertisement