Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New game workshopping and brainstorming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'd go for a table quiz, love a good table quiz. Whatsapp might work if people didnt mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

So...

Catchphrase

Basically the OP posts a clue, whether a cryptic sentence, soundbyte, picture, or whatever. Whoever guesses it correctly first becomes the Chachphrase host and does their own clue.

The idea is that it would be a persistent, always active game (like 20 Questions) to keep us tipping along while things like sheep and quizzes are going on at a slower pace.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

tusk wrote: »
    So...

Catchphrase

Basically the OP posts a clue, whether a cryptic sentence, soundbyte, picture, or whatever. Whoever guesses it correctly first becomes the Chachphrase host and does their own clue.

The idea is that it would be a persistent, always active game (like 20 Questions) to keep us tipping along while things like sheep and quizzes are going on at a slower pace.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Do ursines perform bodily functions in the copse.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Give us an example clue Tusky. Ted did a thesaurus clue there. What other kinds could there be?

Well you could just grab an actual catchphrase pic if you wanted.

131cce18ad420474bb7624bf305a5920--apple-pies.jpg

Or somethings like:

2BW1S

Or...

I'll Always Run With Others :pac:

Could be anything really, depends on the clue-giver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So he posts a picture of a baby chicken covered in Ponch & John's, and you say "biker chick?" And he says "it's good but it's not right" and I say "when the CHiPs are down?" And he says "beeeeeeyooooooooooowing!"

Well you could just grab an actual catchphrase pic if you wanted.

131cce18ad420474bb7624bf305a5920--apple-pies.jpg

Or somethings like:

2BW1S

Or...

Could be anything really, depends on the clue-giver

Sounds good. Throw up an auld no google rule and you should be onto a winner i think.

Baggly wrote: »
    Sounds good. Throw up an auld no google rule and you should be onto a winner i think.

Sweet, I'll give it til tonight to see if anyone has any further suggestions then I'll lash it up :D

Aw yeee, more games!

FXwB.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Or somethings like:

2BW1S

Or...

I got the pic. What are those two?

I'd be so crap at this game.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I got the pic. What are those two?

I'd be so crap at this game.

no clues :P

Ted could probably help with the second one

• Advertisement

Two B W one S

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Two B W one S

I meant the other second one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

i have the second one, but only after the clue. No idea on the first one still

hahah lads, this isn't the game!!!!!

Suggestions only pls :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

osh wrote: »
    i have the second one, but only after the clue. No idea on the first one still
    Is the first 1 not just say what you see.
    Thought that one was too easy, and it would be answered by the first person who seen it, so more of a timings chance of winning, although, it is a fingers on the buzzers game, so, there is that.

I meant the other second one :pac:

HAHA, that penny must have been dropped from the 72nd floor, only arrived now.

Banjo wrote: »
    So he posts a picture of a baby chicken covered in Ponch & John's, and you say "biker chick?" And he says "it's good but it's not right" and I say "when the CHiPs are down?" And he says "beeeeeeyooooooooooowing!"

UMfTYJH.gif

you got the sound down perfectly :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

hahah lads, this isn't the game!!!!!

Suggestions only pls :pac:

Exactly. So spill the answers.

I still haven't a clue.

two birds with one stone.

You'll never walk alone

Given how difficult it is to create unique original picture-based Catchphrases, this could be the ideal opportunity to run Catchphrases and Catacombs, the "slay-what-you-see" text-based tabletop RPG!.

You are in a 100ft square room, which you entered from the south. In the center of the room is a large open chest, brimming with gold coins and priceless jewels. On your arrival, the chest quivers and then slowly, inexorably it begins to inch towards you.

On the far side of the room, through the only other exit, you see a small figure enters - humanoid, roughly child sized with reddish reptilian skin, a rat-like tail and a head like a scaled dog. As it enters, the chest judders, halts, and begins to slide in this creatures direction, and no matter what you do it refuses to halt it's glacial progress.

"Uh..... Fortune favours Kobold?"

CORRECT!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Are you still suffering D&D withdrawals like me Banjo :pac:

Can you play D&D online? I always wanted to play, but only one of my friends plays, and he plays miles away!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can you play D&D online? I always wanted to play, but only one of my friends plays, and he plays miles away!

If you have a look in the D&D sub forum you'll see it's very possible. When work settles down a bit I might try and get a game going if there's interest.

I'm very much a noob as a DM though so it would be a learning process for me as well so patience would be appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Did you somehow miss this sub-forum? D&D

you used to be able to
    Till I broke it with a combination of frustration, petty lashing out and then genuine curiosity which I'll admit was poorly - even ruthlessly - phrased but I still maintain was not intended as an attack, please take me back baby, I've changed for keeps this time.

But if you google PBP and LFP you should find a Play By Post game that's Looking for Players. Alternatively google LFG and find somewhere to post your Looking For Group notice.
    If you google MSM, turn image results off. Or turn it up to max, depending on your preferences. Not here to judge, just got a bit of an eyeful earlier in the week while looking up about blood donations.

Personally I play on DnD Beyond, but the pace is absolutely glacial and the quality of DMs would be waaaaaay sub-Boards if someone hadn't gone and dragged the average waaaaay down. (You're welcome again, True Believers!). There's Roll20 and FantasyGrounds, but a lot of groups play on Discord, either with formal sit-down games at given times with voice chat and maps and stuff, or using text chat and Avrae, a dice rolling bot with character sheet integration.

sKeith wrote: »
    Did you somehow miss this sub-forum? D&D

Didn't miss it. Just never bothered looking because d&d always seemed so daunting.

Ask and you shall receive Tusk.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058002624

(Kudos to Necro)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Didn't miss it. Just never bothered looking because d&d always seemed so daunting.
    I wouldn't worry people figure it out pretty fast. I felt like I was doing it wrong when I first started as well.

Like buses. Two come along at the same time :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058002631

• Advertisement

Don't worry, dude. It's an interactive and collective story-telling experience, there's no* wrong way to do it.
    Its easy. Before you declare any kind of action, you ask yourself a few questions and stop if you hit a No:

Is this the right thing for my character?
    Is this good for the table?
    Is this action free of assumptions that would require the GM to interpret an ambiguous rule exactly the way I do as a player?
    Am I acting in a way that does *not* force a movement, action or thought on another player's character without their consent?
    Is it really that big a deal that he got the sword and you didn't?
    Do I really need that chicken?

And then you're good to go.

Advertisement