Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a trip abroad.....

• 05-03-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

With the influx of lads heading away this year (myself inld) I think it would be great for any advice to be in the one place. Maybe the mods can create a STICKY for easy reference.

I copied this from a post already up and sure we can add to it as we go. Try to stick to advice rather then reminisce about a lovely drive. ;)

A couple of travel requirements:
    Original Registration Document
    License
    Passport
    Original Insurance cert
    European Medical card (See here http://www.ehic.ie/)

You should get travel insurance as well, food poisoning can happen anywhere.

Some things you should bring:
    Buy an Airhawk Seat Cushion (The best purchase you’ll make for your trip!)

Lots of ear plugs! You can get ~50 pairs for ~€10 on ebay.
    Cameras (For that nice bike picture in the alps )
    Electrical Chargers and Euro adapters (Phones/Cameras/Video/GPS. Test them and make sure they work)
    Chain lube (every morning)
    Tool Kit (There will be plenty of bike garages but a few tools won't hurt)
    Small Head mounted Torch
    A few pairs of gloves (1 Gore-tex, 1 ventilated)
    Sun Glasses
    Chain(s)/Lock(s)
    Spare Fuses
    Bring some rags for the ferries. Some of them don’t have any to put between the ratchet tie downs and your seat and paintwork! Ireland-France crossing had them.

Optional:
    GPS with updated maps + Mounting Kit
    Top Up Oils/Fluids. 1l bottles (you could end up paying €30 for 1l of oil in a petrol station when you really need it)
    Puncture Repair Kit and/or a can of tyre weld
    Spare Bungees/Cargo Net (Handy for drying your clothes on top of your topbox)
    Tablet/Laptop if you can fit it. Lots of places have free wi-fi (McDonalds). So you can upload photos of your trip to make us all jealous
    Ultra absorbent thin towel
    Visor cleaner + cloth to wipe it off properly
    Sun Cream
    Cable Ties
    Gaffer Tape
    Side stand plates for earthen ground
    Fire extinguisher
    Ratchet Tie Downs
    Pens and paper to keep track of spending
    Vitamin tablets. It's a long trip so it’s important to keep your strength up

Before the trip.
    Try to check everything on the bike. Tyres, chain, bearings, throttle and brake cables (one of the lads throttle went in Gibraltar so we ended up wasting half a day there).

Pack and unpack preparation. Plan and re-plan what to take with you a week before the trip. Organise what you're bringing into the luggage. Think about weight distribution on each side of the bike when you’re doing this, you don’t want to be veering to one side

Try and plan where you’ll be each night and look up possible accommodation in each place before you leave.

Make a list of things you want to see in each country. Have 2 things in each country that you’d really like to see. Other attractions can be left on the list or taken out depend on time.

Take a look at road watch websites of the countries your visiting. It’ll let you know of any road works on your route and delays that may be encountered due to them.

On the trip.
    Arrive at your destination each evening no later than 8. If you arrive after this it's too late to look around and find the best priced place, have a shower and then find a place to eat. Recently a friend did a trip where he was leaving at 6am and riding until 4pm. He had a few hours of the roads to himself then beat the evening work traffic chaos.

Have plenty of bottled water bought for the nights and mornings.

The tolls in France and Spain are expensive so stay off them if you can. The other roads are better biking roads anyway

French bikers are great and every one of them will salute you!

If you’re not making as much progress as you thought then don’t go too far into Europe. You don’t want to have to rush the last half of your trip in order to make a ferry!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Copy and pasted from another post on boards. Dont suppose it matters if some advice is duplicated as people will pick the bones from what they need and dont need.

Things that were invaluable to have:
    - rain suit - by god when it rains in Europe it's something else!
    - insurance docs
    - bike ownership papers
    - old school maps
    - puncture repair kit
    - duct tape
    - cable ties
    - spare gloves
    - bungee cord
    - helmet and luggage locks - you need to be able to secure your bike and all the luggage and helmet/jacket if you want to explore. I think a guy on here had his jacket nicked while travelling around Europe
    - change in your tank bag for tolls
    - give yourself enough buffer time to make the ferry back
    - zip lock bags for your phone etc in your tank bag

Other things
    - the tolls sometimes give you a ticket, and check it when you're leaving the tolled road, if you lose it, you'll have to pay the maximum toll
    - some tolls are free for bikes, look out for the half barriers
    - European city drivers have usually very little patience for drivers who don't know where they are going, especially the French!
    - don't book too much ahead accommodation wise as it means you need to make your destination even if it's late
    - loads of bikers on the roads on the continent, usually get chatting to them at petrol stations or in towns

Main thing is have fun, don't worry about covering distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Fire extinguisher...Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Fire extinguisher...Really?

Just incase of a fire . . . . Next on the list is the kitchen sink !!:D

@ Wonda great idea coming into the good weather. A good pint if going away in a group is plan together. e.g one person take duct tape and one take cable ties. As 5 riders prob wont need 5 rolls of duct tape over a few days LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

leppla wrote: »
    @ Wonda great idea coming into the good weather. A good pint if going away in a group is plan together. e.g one person take duct tape and one take cable ties. As 5 riders prob wont need 5 rolls of duct tape over a few days LOL

Bring yer own feckin duct tape...

PETA-DuctTaped-To-Tree.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Nice to see 'my' list being reused by you Wonda :)

There were 4 of us on that trip so we distributed items between bikes.

The Don wrote: »

As I said I "copied" these from boards not claiming they are mine. Dont have to name names there are no royalties....;)

The Don wrote: »

Food and drink can be distributed to my bike!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Things that were invaluable to have:
    - rain suit - by god when it rains in Europe it's something else!
    - insurance docs
    - bike ownership papers
    - old school maps
    - puncture repair kit
    - duct tape
    - cable ties
    - spare gloves
    - bungee cord
    - helmet and luggage locks - you need to be able to secure your bike and all the luggage and helmet/jacket if you want to explore. I think a guy on here had his jacket nicked while travelling around Europe
    - change in your tank bag for tolls
    - give yourself enough buffer time to make the ferry back
    - zip lock bags for your phone etc in your tank bag
    All of the above +
    - extra skins, baccy, roaches, lighters, essential herbs ;):D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Spare bulbs are mandatory in some continental countries.

Spare keys hidden on bike; ignition, luggage, U-lock keys.

Inner bag from wine box useful for fuel emergencies and very compact. A length of syphon tube too.

A battery earth strap, flat woven type better than 6mm stiff copper. (Having seen how much hassle a broken battery connector can cause)

Good stuff lads keep it coming.....

leppla wrote: »
    Food and drink can be distributed to my bike!!

Whoever has the biggest panniers will be getting the "GRUB" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Whoever has the biggest panniers will be getting the "GRUB" ;)

That'd be me, 45ltrs in each one. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Nice work, stickied!

Zascar wrote: »
    Nice work, stickied!

Not all my work but will come in handy for all of us at some point.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

You need a green card in some eastern countries as I found out last year, you "may" be able to purchase one at the border crossing
    A Carnet de Passages is necessary for many countries outside Europe including a lot of South America, Aisa and Africa excluding Morocco and Tunisia
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/get-ready/paperwork/carnet-de-passages-en-douanes-list-of-countries

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Midges love me. They would eat me alive if they had the chance, and any bite leaves me with really itchy marks/lumps on my skin - irritating wee feckers! Over the last five years though, every time I have taken a trip to the Scottish Highlands I've used the "Avon Skin So Soft" stuff in an effort at preventing midge bites - I have never had a midge bite since I tried using it. The stink (in a perfumey way) is a bit overwhelming but it seems to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Don't hide spare keys on the bike, I use a Velcro watch strap which I leave on all the time and a spare key attached to it, key pushed under the strap, you never know it is there and you always know where it is.

Join Ireland Weather Network

thecivvie wrote: »
    Don't hide spare keys on the bike, I use a Velcro watch strap which I leave on all the time and a spare key attached to it, key pushed under the strap, you never know it is there and you always know where it is.

Very good idea....can you imagine the hassle of losing a set of keys abroad omg!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have a spare set of keys/alarm fob with a trusted person back home, they can freight it to you overnight in an emergency. They should have good quality photocopies of all your documents, too.

Small 12V air pump (the cheap less than a tenner at bike shows type) is light enough and usually the plastic casing can be taken off to make it smaller. Slow but does the job. The CO2 canisters you get with puncture repair kits aren't really up to it especially on a rear tyre. Sometimes air is hard to find at garages, or you have to have the right coin on you (PITA in non-euro countries)

A lot of travel insurance excludes riding anything larger than a scooter, which is odd as half-pi$$ed tourists in shorts and flip-flops on a 50cc with no experience and dodgy lid is about as dangerous as it gets, but there you go.
    What you want is a policy that will get your bike fixed, or sent home, in the event of a failure and that'll get you fixed up or sent home too! AA 5-star for instance, there are a lot more and probably cheaper options online these days. Your ordinary insurance policy might cover breakdown or could be extended to cover it. If you have health insurance it might cover you too but you'd need to be certain motorcycling isn't excluded.

No need for tons of clothes, nobody needs to bring 3 weeks of dirty jocks home, wash as you go. Gets cold at night in the mountains though (and even in summer in the daytime, on the highest roads) so worth having a warm jumper.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

What about chain maintenance? We'd rather not bring a big can of chain lube...any suggestions on small bottles of non-spray oil?

A bottle of ATF (Automatic Transmission) Fluid will do you a treat.....its much the same stuff as in the scottoiler machines. A large bottle will cost you €5.50 in the motor factors. You can use any amount of things to put it on the chain.....Failing that a can of 3-1 oil is the next best thing. If going mainland Europe dont be panicking as even bog standard engine oil is great lube and you will get that anywhere.

One thing I would recommend NOT to wear on a long trip is a backpack. After a few hours day after day on the road any backpack will start to feel like a tonne of bricks.

By all means bring one for when your walking around but don't wear it on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not sure if the ferry companies still give you a big car-sized 'IRL' sticker with your tickets? These are made out of vinyl and stick pretty well but are easy to peel off. What I used to do with them was cut out an arrow shape about 2cm long. When I landed in France I stuck it in the middle of my speedo, so I was constantly reminded to ride on the right. On the ferry out of France I reversed it to remind me to ride on the left again :)

I only ever had one screwup in Europe and that was when I got distracted turning into a petrol station on the left, I looked the wrong way and moved off and an oncoming car had to brake like hell :rolleyes: and one time I was coming back through the UK after 3 weeks riding on the right, I was fine until I stopped overnight (a pub with real ale and B&B on a little single carriageway road in the middle of nowhere :) ) and the next morning I pulled out of the car park and rode off and came up to a bend with 'SLOW' painted on the road and wondered why it wasn't in the lane I was riding in :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

Anyone have any experience of landing in the Hook of Holland and nice roads towards the "MECCA" of motorcycle roads the B500 at Baden Baden in Germany, all the way down to the Black Forest. Looking to piece together my route from the Hook. Be nice if others had any feedback for routes and or places to stay with secure bike parking etc.

Did you know that if you dial 112 in any European country you will get the emergency services that will be fluent in ENGLISH.

Did you know that if you dial 112 in any European country you will get the emergency services that will be fluent in ENGLISH.

I knew 112 was an international emergency but wasn't aware it would be English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

A good tip is to put your chargers, cables, etc into a lunch box. This will keep them dry and in one easy place. You can also use sealable freezer bags but these can hole easily.

If you have an alarm/immobiliser on the bike then replace the batteries in the fob before you go.

If you have a camera with a waterproof housing like a GoPro then bring both the waterproof and the 'open' back doors. You've probably already noticed that the waterproof case can fog up after 30 minutes of use and you'll have foggy videos :(. In hotter countries the camera will heat the air even quicker in the housing and mist it up. Alternatively there are reusable anti-fog filters you can insert into the housing which will soak up the moisture.

This is a great video to watch to get some ideas of what/how to pack. It's amazing how much you can actually bring if you're determined and organised enough.
    Rick Peterson BMW GS1200 Kit Layout

Advertisement