Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The wimp list ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

30kms in 45 mins (in the dark)? That some going, fair play.

The key word in my post is 'Tailwind'.
    I knew when I checked the time on my speedo when I was on the dual carriageway just past Blakes X and it said 5.18 or something I knew I was flying.
    Then got to the turn for Boroimhe and it had just turned 5.30.
    I thought that once I got to the back of the airport it would be tricky but only got a cross wind turning to a tailwind.
    The last section which is the worst is the road from Kilshane cross to Cappagh. Its in a shocking state and unlit but I know where most of the wheelbreakers are. Thankfully its well sheltered and flew down it.Hit hte yard at almost bang on 5.45 these welcome-ing word from the boss 'Your fooking mad' to which I relpied 'But these are the most enjoyable spins' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Even with a tailwind it's fair going considering it's in the dark you have to go off the beaten track a bit.
    bcmf wrote: »
    the road from Kilshane cross to Cappagh. Its in a shocking state and unlit
    An awful piece of road especially in the wet (and I've only ever cycled it in daylight).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Cycled from Santry to D2 then to Phoenix Park (where I stood under a tree for a half hour) then home to Santry on Monday morning. Was meant to go back into town but I just couldn't bear it.

Cycled to school with mini-me this morning. We were both wearing waterproof trousers and they wroked darn well, so I'm glad to see he won't be chickening out any morningsin the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Short cycle to work for me: 4ish miles. 20 minutes tops. I went in today and will again tomorrow, and will again on Saturday. It's getting dark at 7ish. Might have to begin taking a different route soon, one with a lot more traffic. Hate the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Cycle in myself this morning. My god was it an experience . As soon as I got to Lusk I got caught up in a huge downpour and was soaked for the rest of the journey. Had a lovely wind on my back that helped though and got into work in an hour. At least the journey home was a lot more pleasant and tomorrow is forecast to be okay:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

with all this talk of people braving horrible weather, I decided to cycle in today*. Imagine my disappointment when i looked out the window and saw a lovely morning.

*Ok, I looked at the forecast first. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Casquette

Everything else in your post was in English but you chose to say this rather than cap. I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Cycled in last few days, so a welcome break from the soaking this morning.

Hats off to the guy in the GAA shorts, T-Shirt and runners cycling in the p!ssing rain on a single gear (fixie?) at pace through the Phoenix Park yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

First time on the bike this morning in over a week. I nearly collapased at the bike lockup in work :o This cycling business is stoopid.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Bring back the rain, couldnt get a spot in the rack this morning with all the fair-weathers back on two wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

sorted the brakes out yesterday evening and was determined to cycle in today.
    It was grand, I don't know what you were all complaining about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

stevieob wrote: »
    sorted the brakes out yesterday evening and was determined to cycle in today.
    It was grand, I don't know what you were all complaining about :)

This morning was calm relative to the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Cycled into college yesterday, was grand didn't get too wet. It's only 4.9km anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

AG2R wrote: »
    Cycled into college yesterday, was grand didn't get too wet. It's only 4.9km anyways

I would round that to 5km. Sounds better. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

The wimp quotient for cycle commuters on the Rock Road seems to be 40 to 50 percent juding by the cycle counter at Blackrock College. I usually pass there around 10 when the peak commute will have finished. The past few days the number was in the early 200s while today it was 440.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

(Beasty - I relieved you of the burden of one of your KOMs a couple of weeks ago! :))

You should have let sleeping beasts lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I can see a few bike sheds having overnight guests this evening!

*blows dust off thread in preparation of tomorrow*

106ng9j.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i'll get me excuses in by closes of business today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

looks nasty, i might have to wear a jacket :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Will have to put my winter bib shorts. And a summer jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

I'm new enough to cycling and I Cycled home from work for the first time today. Work in Blanch left car in Glasnevin and cycled home to Balrothery did around 34k. Took about 1hr 15 left at 5 and it was a dark misty drizzly evening. Have new altura night vision jacket which made me feel some way safe but forgot my rear light. Roads were nice and mucky from the farmers, a few skids from the back wheel got the heart racing! I found road from airport to Roganstown r108 not that enjoyable to cycle. Too many close passes from the cars but once you get past Roganstown it's enjoyable. Took in the Nags head for a bit of a climb and free wheeled from there home. Got my first puncture half a km from the house and my wife picked me up on her way home and just as we'll as I left my small pump in the shed!

detones wrote: »
    half a km from the house and my wife picked me up
    WTF? You need to HTFU! :D

(I lost a pedal recently and cycled the remaining 19kms on one leg. But then again, you haven't met my wife!)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

half a km from the house and my wife picked me up
    WTF? You need to HTFU! :D

(I lost a pedal recently and cycled the remaining 19kms on one leg. But then again, you haven't met my wife!)

My laziness knows no bounds. That's why I took up cycling, I'm too lazy to run anymore play ball or even finish this repl.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It'll be just another day for me tomorrow so :D Cycling in any condition is much quicker and much, much cheaper than getting the bus anywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

Sucks to be you guys, I'm headed to Edinburgh tomorrow!

...hope there's no turbulence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was fine until hit by a wall of water from a passing bus (considering i only saw this and 2 other cars how unlucky is that)still dry under sealskinz socks, aldi over trousers and a dhb jacket. but my commute is only 15 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

lovely morning in dublin, little damp on the roads, no rain, and balmy! After the wind that was up when I was heading to bed last night I was delighted when I saw the conditions this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont worry its coming

224030.png

• Advertisement

My laziness knows no bounds. That's why I took up cycling, I'm too lazy to run anymore play ball or even finish this repl.....
    .....one of the few sports one can partake in while remaining seated! :cool:

Advertisement