Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The wimp list ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Fair weather cyclist here. Climbed into a nice warm taxi yesterday and this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

After a light breakfast of nails, I rode in wearing short-sleeve shirt and shorts, with 2 x 20kg weights in my backpack and some ice-cubes in my water bottle.

Spokes

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Raingear is for wimps.....ahem....where did I leave my car keys

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Cycled yesterday and today, sure how else would I get to work? :)

Wind and rain are no match for the long trench coat and water-proof mascara!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

QueensGael wrote: »
    Got to disagree on this - I find the pockets fill up with water and weigh you down a lot more ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Another non-wimp here, I cycled both mornings. After the initial *ahhhh crap* I quickly settle into a nice, damp rhythm. Overtaking countless dry motorists on the way helps.

The bikeshed at work was deserted this morning! Could barely get a spot last week.

Currently I have my cycling clothes drying on a chair beside me, with my side light heating my gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Seen some bloke in his shorts and t-short this morning out running the block as I was dropping the nipper to school. He would have done at least 3.5k when I saw him and god knows how much further he went! I had to think to myself what kind of a nutter was he, I can understand if you are actually going somewhere, but he was just out for the craic!! Fair play to him, but he must be nuts, and keen to bring on hypothermia or somethin!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

stevieob wrote: »
    Seen some bloke in his shorts and t-short this morning out running the block as I was dropping the nipper to school. He would have done at least 3.5k when I saw him and god knows how much further he went! I had to think to myself what kind of a nutter was he, I can understand if you are actually going somewhere, but he was just out for the craic!! Fair play to him, but he must be nuts, and keen to bring on hypothermia or somethin!
    Come on, it was 10c this morning, still pretty much summer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dónal wrote: »
    The bikeshed at work was deserted this morning! Could barely get a spot last week.
    Mine was jammed by all the wimps who left their bikes there overnight... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

cycled both yesterday and today. I always find the cycle counter on Rock Road interesting. I pass it just before 8 every morning. On a fine day I am around number 125-150. I was in the 40's today and yesterday..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This was going to be part of my Strava challenge for the commute home:

486850_10151048254490770_1310083776_n.jpg

Not so sure now ....

(Seaswimmer, can I borrow your username until tomorrow please?)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beasty wrote: »

Not so sure now ....
    HTFU

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

QueensGael wrote:

Got to disagree on this - I find the pockets fill up with water and weigh you down a lot more ...

You have pockets in your waterproof mascara? :eek: I've heard of people having bags under their eyes but it seems like you are going the whole hog and having pocket-filled handbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

QueensGael wrote: »

I've a terrifying fear of my trench getting caught in the chain. Barbour's your only man in weather like this..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What is the standard kit for cycling in weather like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

godtabh wrote: »

kayak.jpg

The only "concession" I've made to the weather over the past couple of days has been to wear 3/4 bibtights and a rainjacket - otherwise it's the same gear as last week - it's not particularly cold (yet)

486850_10151048254490770_1310083776_n.jpg

Not so sure now ....

(Seaswimmer, can I borrow your username until tomorrow please?)
    Road was clear - KOM improved by 6s:D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Damn it all. I can't stand it anymore. I am cycling in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The only "cocession" I've made to the weather over the past couple of days has been to wear 3/4 bibtights and a rainjacket - otherwise it's the same gear as last week - it's not particularly cold (yet)

I've had the man flu for the last 2 days. I'll risk it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

Not as windy as I expected this morning - indeed a quite tame 26kph NNWesterly. Still it pushed me to an average speed of just under 34kph. There was quite a bit of standing water, but nowhere near as bad as last night - the main problem was spotting the worst of it in the dark

Spotted you again Beasty flying by on your way home. Just curious what bike are you using in this s**ty waether. A Cyclocross bike or road bike?

billyhead wrote: »
    Spotted you again Beasty flying by on your way home. Just curious what bike are you using in this s**ty waether. A Cyclocross bike or road bike?
    Don't have a cyclocross bike - it was the Focus Cayo. Chain and cassette are due to be replaced shortly, so I'm not too fussed about wear & tear on the drivetrain. Not sure if the good bike's Di2 battery would survive being submerged a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

That would've been so much more impressive if you hadn't mentioned the road was clear. :o

Cycled in my best fred uniform of GAA shorts and jersey for the evening, was grand actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I've had the man flu for the last 2 days. I'll risk it tomorrow

Be careful man, are you sure you shouldn't take the week off and get the complete Star Wars, LOTRs and a couple of Family Guy boxsets. This is not a virus to be trifled with.

I had left my bike in Work for the last few days but 20mins to do 300m today in the car melted my head.
    The forecast for the morning is waterproof jacket and thermals and passing lots and lots of slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The only "concession" I've made to the weather over the past couple of days has been to wear 3/4 bibtights and a rainjacket - otherwise it's the same gear as last week - it's not particularly cold (yet)

Jaysus, I'm doing it wrong so:

Bibshorts (nasty adidas ones I don't wear normally)
    DHB leg warmers
    DHB merino base layer
    DHB padless bib tights
    Lightweight jacket
    Boards winter jacket
    Waterproof socks
    PRO Tarmac H2O overshoes
    Gloves
    Buff
    Casquette

Admittedly, I was quite warm on the way home at 20:45 tonight, but better to be warm than cold I guess.

Also, it's a little restrictive.

I'll probably wear less tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

Did you have that much tailwind when you set the original KOM? I would have thought the water on the road would have cost you a few seconds.

buffalo wrote: »
    That would've been so much more impressive if you hadn't mentioned the road was clear. :o
    Sorry - got my words mixed up - meant to say "the road was dire".:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cycled yesterday and today. Nearly got wiped out coming out of Rush by a b**tard in a green Audi A6 who passed me and then immediately braked hard to take a left. On the way home tonight my front light gave up - water probably entered it somewhere. :(

It's still very mild out there. I don't know why people are wearing tights and gloves yet.

(Beasty - I relieved you of the burden of one of your KOMs a couple of weeks ago! :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

unfortunately, no other choice. Epically heavy thundery nightmarish rain forecast :(
    so much for that. Forecasters here about as good as back in Ireland. Lovely morning.

Advertisement