Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Oul Christmas time.

• 24-11-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

So what do you do for the mental season that is Christmas? Do you go and stay with the kids and grandkids or perhaps you invite them all over to your place? Would you get a few close friends around for a bit of a knees up?
    Or my favourite, bah humbug the whole thing as a waste of time and effort?

The real question I want to ask though is if there is anyone here going to be alone this christmas?

PM me if you wish. Maybe I could pop around to anyone Dublin based with a mince pie and glass of sherry, just to say hello. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

OldGoat wrote: »
    The real question I want to ask though is if there is anyone here going to be alone this christmas?

PM me if you wish. Maybe I could pop around to anyone Dublin based with a mince pie and glass of sherry, just to say hello. :)

We eat until we can't move, and snooze beside the fire and miss the films we had sat down to watch! Out into the air for a bit of exercise on St. Stephen's Day and back for more eating and snoozing in the evening. Usually quiet, cosy, and hopefully happy, that's all we want or need. We is simple folks. 'Night John Boy!

P.S. I don't think visitors would be impressed with us so we never have any!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sounds like most nights of the year - 'cept for that exercising lark. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Since I split up with the harridan, I have spent every Christmas on my own. I sort of look forward to it, so please no coming around and spoiling it for me. :pac:

Seriously Christmas day is the one day every year I look forward to just slobbing out on my own. New Year however I visit my Dad. (He spends Christmas with my sister.)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Christmas for us is just me, himself and the dog. Far too much food, wine and slobbing out, though we do make an effort to try and walk off the after-effects.

Simple-ness is the order of the day in our house :)

......bah humbug the whole thing as a waste of time and effort?

Modern Christmas is just not what it should be about anymore, it's lost its original meaning and been hijacked by Disney and Hollywood and others cashing in. I stopped doing all the rushing around and buying presents for the world and his wife, just a couple for the immediate family and the rest for charity. Maybe I'm a bit 'bah humbug' but I personally would rather it was all over. Enforced jollity never rings true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Rubecula wrote: »
    the harridan

Thanks Rubes- am trying to learn a new word every day,and you've provided me with the word of the year so far-will definitely try and use it again.Cheers,and have a wonderful Christmas-ho ho ho:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Alice1

Well, Santa still has one believer in this house (child of my autumn years) so, we will have the traditional Christmas. Being woken early by high pitched screams is the order of the day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I find it very difficult to explain why I never celebrated Christmas,but I didnt,since I was very young.

When my children were small,because we were'nt in 'the loop' it was easy for us to just carry on, (Santy did arrive btw)but oddly when they hit their t(w)eens they wanted decorations etc. So I (I mean I as I was a lone parent)tried to get into the swing of things but I got caught up in the stress rather than making them happy.
    So....we ignored it again for years until last year.

I put ad's up on free sites in January asking for anything Christmassy and people were great. I got a ton of decorations etc that I kept adding to.

I went from nothing to ridiculous re decorating :D

Presents are not for us. Its a habit I thought they had taken but no...they tend to spoil me and I do love it. When I buy for them,its always something from Boher or Oxfam (chickens,trees,guinea fowl etc)

We choose a country last year to have a themed meal..Scotland :) and because I love cooking,this was great.

We're voting tomorrow on the country for this year,I feel it will be African cos myself and he-who-is-not-my-husband have talked about out voting the children :pac:

Oddly enough,drink is'nt big in our house at Christmas. We will do odd things like finish last years game of Monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Alice1 wrote: »
    Well, Santa still has one believer in this house
    Lucky you- I've been made redundant(from my ho ho ho job) as and from a few weeks ago-bit sad but they've still written their letters- more for me than them:o-.....
    plus, I'll still get emotional watching RTE news on Christmas eve......not to mention the perfect excuse to have C2H5OH every day for a full week-can't wait!!!!

http://www.noradsanta.org/

I presume you know about this Alice?
    I discovered it last year,he'll be leaving Christmas eve morning..bright and early :eek:
    I love it :D

• Advertisement

Not sure if I have that one Chucken. Thank you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The French celebrate on Christmas Eve. So on that night, as the hubby is a froggie, I'll be cooking up my usual seven course meal with accompanying wines for him and my daughter.
    It is a meal we all looking forward to as I pull out all the stops.
    By the end of it, we'll be fit to burst and more than a bit merry.

Christmas day will be spent recovering and eating left overs while watching a few films.
    Will go down the boonies to see parents and sisters on the 27th.

I love doing christmas the same way. Do the big dinner on the eve and then spend the entire day in a dressing gown just picking bits and pieces from the fridge as required.
    Stress free day - the way it should be.
    On Stevens day we alternate with close friends, we go to theirs, the following year they come to ours. It's a big noisy buffet of all their leftovers and ours and hoards of kids making way too much noise while we 'adults' get tanked (again). Thankfully it's their turn this year. Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Most people get only two days off here ....... Christmas Day dinner of turkey etc., then Boxing Day for leftovers. And you cannot say Happy Christmas, it's got to be Happy Holiday. This will be my first violation ......... apart from two speeding warnings :o.

Spread wrote: »
    Most people get only two days off here ....... Christmas Day dinner of turkey etc., then Boxing Day for leftovers. And you cannot say Happy Christmas, it's got to be Happy Holiday. This will be my first violation ......... apart from two speeding warnings :o.

I suppose they think 'Christmas' would insult those who are not (Christian) believers. What a travesity! But having said that there are a lot of Irish/British etc., unbelievers who still are ok with 'Happy Christmas'. Hope we never have to drop that here. It would really make me angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Christmas Eve is big in our house with the grandchildren sitting around listening to yours truly reading ‘The Night Before Christmas’. Lots of spiced beef, mulled wine etc. Our GCs are on the cusp of belief/non belief in Mr C so we have to thread warily this year. Christmas Day we decamp to one of our children’s houses for ‘The Full Christmas’, hopefully peaceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I did here of a shopping centre in South East Asia where the staff made a special effort to decorate the place for Christmas to make all their western visitors feel welcome. But they got their myths & legends mixed up and erected a crucified Santa!

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I did here of a shopping centre in South East Asia where the staff made a special effort to decorate the place for Christmas to make all their western visitors feel welcome. But they got their myths & legends mixed up and erected a crucified Santa!

I've heard of Christ on a bike ........... but Santa on a cross? Sounds urban legend to me. Unless they stuck him up with velcro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/cross.asp

Seems to be a kind of Chinese (Japanese) Whispers sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Lets face it - isn't the Turkey a crucified santa. My sister knit the two little santa hats to go on the Turks legs!I like Longinus, was the one who stuck the skewer in his side and declared santa dead! **I'm definitely going home for this years christmas.

I forgot to explain that we had turkeys at home. They're lovely and good''., not like the geese - they were wicked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Sheep noises and stripey mints.

oh yes

Bah. Humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Rubecula wrote: »
    Sheep noises and stripey mints.

oh yes

Bah. Humbug

Hear, hear. As an aside, I had a mate who used to give people in the pub individually wrapped humbugs on Chrsitmas Eve. Very few people got it...

Mrs.Goat bought me a bag of humbugs over the weekend. They don't taste like humbugs anymore. All sweets are now bland. Bring back artifical flavourings and colourings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'll be cooking this year. For 12. Including a couple of special diets. I don't care - I prepare a lot on Christmas Eve, and then the roasting really doesn't require attention. The house then divides between those who watch TV at top volume for the deaf amongst us, and the ones who go off and play board games (me).

Then a forced march in Wicklow for anyone I can still influence on Stephen's Day. The rest of the time is my own, with no real meals, just picking at leftovers.

Everyone knows what I want but I never get it. So I've given up on the presents stuff. If I can't get it in the local Euro shop, you're not getting a present. (Well, maybe a packet of Cheddar.)

Mrs.Goat bought me a bag of humbugs over the weekend. They don't taste like humbugs anymore. All sweets are now bland. Bring back artifical flavourings and colourings.

She should have bought you the bah humbugs.These bulls eyes are guaranteed to have you running to the dentist by New Year's Day :)

Alice1 wrote: »
    Not sure if I have that one Chucken. Thank you.

Heres another one for you :)

http://www.portablenorthpole.tv/home

Thought I'd revive this thread with the season that's in it, etc., etc.

If there is anyone around please tell me what pressie I can buy for an 'oul fella. Last year himself and meself decided not to buy each other pressies, (1) because neither of us need anything (2) neither of us know what to buy the other (3) any gadget for himself will produce questions of 'such a model would have been a better choice' or 'where did you buy it' or 'it's cheaper on such a website' and the item gets put away and never reappears again. I kept to the deal, and he didn't, as he produced DVDs for me and he got zilch from me making me feel like a twat. Now I could be wrong but it looks like this might happen again but I have no idea what 'oul.......'oul.......geezers want (keep it clean if at all possible please).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    If there is anyone around please tell me what pressie I can buy for an 'oul fella.

If he uses those multi blade contraptions (or hasn't a beard) how about this

http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

Seven Worlds will Collide

Just putting this bit of the OP out again. Still holds true.

• Advertisement

Very kind of you Old Goat.

The child of my autumn years still believes in Santa so I daresay we shall have the dawn screeching again this year.

This Christmas will be a bit different for me though, cos it's the first one since my Mam died.

Advertisement