Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in Drogheda

• 23-06-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I know there's lots of nostalgia around, particularly 80's stuff but thats the era I grew up in so thought I start a thread in relation to growing up in the town as a youth during that time..

* Going "down the town" with your pals and after going through the Town Centre and maybe a trip to the Sound Shop (to buy blank tapes:)) go home because there was nothing else to do.
    * Newsbeat!
    * Johno's shop on Magdalene St at lunchtime.
    * The Sound Shop 2 at the bottom of Laurences St (tapes downstairs!)
    * Playing in the Drogheda & District Schoolboys league
    * School Sports day at the O'Raghalllll O'Ragha...The Gaelic Grounds!
    * Loving the Christmas lights around the town as a kid
    * The Hot Pot
    * The fountain in the Town Centre SC that changed colour
    * People queueing in the Abbey Cinema all the way down the stairs...and the film posters on the walls "Herbie Goes Bananas" "The Hills have eyes"!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

The fountain in the Town Centre SC that changed colour

LOL - quality.

An good auld jolly up in the cemetary in Thomas Street.

Mitching from school in the ramparts, viaduct and basically everywhere round the town.

Johno's was the business. 1/4 Strawberry & Ice Cream

Whitworth was class when the pool hall was downstairs at the back and the arcade games next to it. Spent probably every night in the place.

I played in the DDSL!

The trek every evening after school downtown into Paddy Dwyers, then around to the sound shop, back over the town to McKenna Man, then sitting on the steps in the summer. All the geeks stood at the back of the town centre, hope you werent one.

Man Dingo's!

Luciano's!

Hot Pot - different class, as was Loughran's on the top of Palace Street, used to get scallops, the little ones about 20 of them covered in ketchup.

Running through the drive thru in Mickey D's when it opened pretending to be a car - lol.

Samba Festival was brilliant.

Spending every lunchtime from school in the bookies.

The No Name! What a place, must have been with every bird in the place.

I'm sure some more will come to me..

School Sports day at the O'Raghalllll O'Ragha...The Gaelic Grounds!

Was always in the smaller pitch next to the main one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah great thread :D

God i totally forgot about the fountain in the old town center full of money it was , used to hang out at the back on the steps or over on the wall next to the river at the boxing club there.

Gisties arcade on dominics st , think its a bookies now.
    Remember sataurday afternoons in the queue for cinema.
    Joe thompson's on shop st,
    Used to love going to the sound shop and play with the guitars
    wow sound shop 2 , id forgotten about that one.
    Hot Pot was legendary .

What was the place called at the end of narrow west st. just on the corner before the abbey shoping center? It's some kind of take away now, used to go there all the time for a mug of tea and a sandwich and chip's. Annoying i cant remember that one :mad:

the 4 lanterns close by too :D

cruisos when it still had the records on the roof and the bar in the club was in the middle and was thatched, and i was way to young to be there and getting hit on by a girl who was way to old for me, it had the unique smell and sticky floors :D

Number 4 on a monday night after work , think it was good fella's before and storm now.

Is the Genoa still there on shop st?

the square at the bottom of stockwell street and the health food place that was on the corner, i used to love how it smelled on the way past.

hat was the place called at the end of narrow west st. just on the corner before the abbey shoping center? It's some kind of take away now,

sounds like Jumping Jacks!

Genoa still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

calex71 wrote: »
    What was the place called at the end of narrow west st. just on the corner before the abbey shoping center? It's some kind of take away now, used to go there all the time for a mug of tea and a sandwich and chip's. Annoying i cant remember that one :mad:

The Hollywood Café!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Ah, pool playing in Gisties on a saturday afternoon. Coffee and cake in Hollywood cafe and the cafe in the town centre.

Does anyone remember the lovely area behind the lane between the old weavers and now mizzoni's pizza? Big fountains and a cafe, was brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Yeah Johno's shop was great, 1/4's of Strawberries and Ice Cream, Rhubarb and Custards etc, remember that time during the American Football craze when you could get those American Football helmet thingys in Johno's, not sure if there were sweets or chewing gum with them as well. Loughran's was great as well, loved the scallops...think they used to be 10p each!

Remember at that time Eagletons had loads of American Football jerseys/hats/jumpers??

The Hollywood Café!

wasn't there an unofficial name for it aswell, your right it was hollywood café
    maybe it was called another name after that? around 98/99???

I must say i was sad when it closed :(

I'm not sorry to see jumping jacks gone however :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

Think it was called Hollywood west!!:D

NAGGIE03 wrote: »
    Think it was called Hollywood west!!:D

Thanks naggie , thats it. It's been bugging the **** out of me all day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Hot pot Chicken burgers with garlic mayo after Mcphails. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Anyone remember Gistys arcade ? , down near the dominican church

From there and back to the whitworth all summer long:D

Yeah I remember Gisty's, great spot for pool etc but from memory I dont think it was open that long?

Also - the garage where McDonalds now is, remember it was the "Ola" garage and the Take Away/Diner in it was called "Breaks" I think?? I remember at the time thinking it was cool that we had an American Style diner in the town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

Never mind Lucianos... what about "Fantasy "Gaah-dens"?!!! :D

sudzs wrote: »
    Never mind Lucianos... what about "Fantasy "Gaah-dens"?!!! :D

That jogs a memory where was that?

calex71 wrote: »
    That jogs a memory where was that?

The Rosnaree Hotel out by Colpe cross on the Dublin Rd. Lately it was called the Europa Hotel but I think it's all closed up now and due for demolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

mickol wrote: »
    and riding your cousin as well ....

This is the funniest comment I have read in weeks! It reminds me about couples in Drogheda breaking-up and instead of staying friends, they stay cousins!

The Old Library up in Fair St, split between kids and adults and wondering if you would get thrown out if you ventured into the adult library (no that type of adult library;))

Woolworths where Penneys is now.

The upstairs bit in Dunnes in West St, this is going back early in the 80's but I think I remember an upstairs with shoes, bags, toys etc.

The Raft Race on the Boyne, I have early memories of this, Dominics Park being packed, Boynside radio blasting out the tunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

The Raft Race on the Boyne, I have early memories of this, Dominics Park being packed, Boynside radio blasting out the tunes!

And the pram race!! All those men in dresses and baby outfits, weird....

The Old Library up in Fair St, split between kids and adults and wondering if you would get thrown out if you ventured into the adult library (no that type of adult library;))

Woolworths where Penneys is now.

The upstairs bit in Dunnes in West St, this is going back early in the 80's but I think I remember an upstairs with shoes, bags, toys etc.

Good god i remeber all of this would have been at the oldest 5 or 6 when wollies went and the upstairs in dunnes , this this closed when the town center opened in 86/87? wollies a few years b4???

One of my earliest childhood memories is in wollies with my dad and me getting lost , and the staff giving me sweets till my dad came and got me i must have been all of 3 or 4 at the time :D

Boyneside radio lmao "it's 3 o clock on the radio and it's time for you and me to make a cup of tea, tea, tea, tea for you and me...." at least i think thats how the jingle went???? Please tell me some one else remembers that and in not inventing child hood memories :confused:

Oh and "boyneside radio....... NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSS" they were one of many pirate outfits in them days b4 going legit as lmfm ? when did lmfm come early 90's? or maybe a little b4 ?

Lmao memories keep coming, early 90's when long wave radio atlantic 252 was THEE station to listen to for the cool kids in town

And Harpo's in the abbey center with the car and dj desk in it ? where we all at least once bought x-works or eclipse jeans before we grew our hair long and switched to mister ace on laurance st where they sold pantera tshirts and fishing gear lol, think mr ace is a phone shop now .

Dominics barber on peters st where all the cool kids went for hair cuts , and you could read Q magazine and smoke while waiting, hey didnt dome now sinn fein dom have a steak in harpos's or one of the barbers there did? and the basement cd shop down stairs with paddy who also ran buses to gigs, (is he still around?)

• Advertisement

Anyone remember a shop called "Madame Le Worthy's" How posh!!!

Was it a newsagent/sweetshop or the place to get your dangly earrings at the bottom of, was it, Dominic st.?

And anyone mention Callan's yet? Very cool spot for posing!!!

LOL, remember going doon de toon for a pose?!!!!!

sudzs wrote: »
    Anyone remember a shop called "Madame Le Worthy's" How posh!!!

Was it a newsagent/sweetshop or the place to get your dangly earrings at the bottom of, was it, Dominic st.?

I think it was at the bottom of shop street opposite wogan's

remember when wogan's there was connolley's and was red ?
    They hardly still have the little café at the top of wogans do they? was nice view from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭andrew1977

What about Joe Thomas's store in Shop street

The man sold everything from digital watches to fake wigs:D

A treasure trove to spend your pocket money in

andrew1977 wrote: »
    What about Joe Thomas's store in Shop street

The man sold everything from digital watches to fake wigs:D

A treasure trove to spend your pocket money in

Ah yeah , they used rent movies upstairs aswell.

I remember my mum got me this cool blue watch in there, with a see through glass digital face, god i loved that watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

What about Mildreds Cafe in the Old Abbey Shopping Centre - fantastic milkshakes!

Or am I going too far back?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

The Hollywood Café!

Legend! The Hollywood Cafe, haha, great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

Ok,weekend blow-in form Naaaaavan though I was, I loved my teen time in Drogheda:

Fantasy Gaaardens was indeed a great spot on a friday night - divided into several factions though - the girls in white shoes, the posers whos dance moves consisted of arms a finger snapping height and one foot tapping and everyone else. And a special mention for the Spanish Students every summer.

Pick'n Pay
    Callans Coffee Shop
    Male Image boutique for wing-tipped shirts
    McDonnells Video Library
    Pilgrims Coffee Shop on Dyer St
    The Boxing Club
    Dorian Mood
    The 4 Lanterns
    Sound Shop 1 & 2
    The Hot Pot
    The Genoa
    The Tom Tom Club in Luciano's
    Hubert Tully's for Ribbons and Odd Buttons to sew on your Levis
    Pink Rhino record shop near the Dominican
    Under the Bridge of Peace on a Saturday afternoon
    Daring each other to walk over the Viaduct.

I'm sure I'll remember more later....:)

Oh, The white Horse Hotel.....see...told ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Darlie

Serious memories there lads!!
    The small and one from Loughrans kept me going through school, while the Hot Pot got me home from McPhails!

Was the club in the Rossnaree called 'Thee Place' at one stage? Or was somewhere else, its in my mind for some reason.

The Linen Hall? Where we graduated to when St Peters steps wasn't cool enough anymore - i.e. at about 15!

The Abbey Tavern, another hidden gem for underage daytime drinking!

Still there and still going strong, Joe's in Yellowbatter. Which reminds me of the Boys Club!! Think it caused more social disorder than prevented!

Wasn't there a bowling alley where the cinema is now?

And the best memory of all, the old ruin of United Park - which hasn't been touched since!!

Wasn't there a bowling alley where the cinema is now?

And the best memory of all, the old ruin of United Park - which hasn't been touched since!![/quote]

Yeah there used to be a bowling alley where the cinema is, and before that it used to be the Oscars cinema, I remember going to all the Breakdance films there!

Good old United Park, pretty much the same now as when I started going back in the days when they wore those horrible jerseys sponsored by Walkers Hotel.

Also remember the Swan Inn, pre Fusion and Man Fridays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

I remember every Sat afternoon going to 'Accessory St' on West st to buy friendship braclets, then to Harpos in the West st Arcade for eclipse/Joe Bloggs/ Juice jeans!! The baggier the better!
    Into Cassidys then for a check shirt and then pose on the wall at the back of the town centre!:D

Advertisement