Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J-Visa for the USA!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jdean1

Hi All!

A friend of mine knows a company that has started processing the Irish Work and Travel visas. I am not entirely sure of the requirements for the program as there is nothing about it online but their website is www.panatlanticsmsgroup.com

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

jdean1 wrote: »
    Hi All!

A friend of mine knows a company that has started processing the Irish Work and Travel visas. I am not entirely sure of the requirements for the program as there is nothing about it online but their website is www.panatlanticsmsgroup.com

if they have been doing this for the past "20 years" as it says on the website, I think you are mistaking this visa for the new J1 visa that we are so earnestly awaiting information on.

I don't mean to be snide about people trying to help but let's not keep getting peoples' hopes up with false leads like above.

I yet again hope to be proven wrong!

veritable wrote: »
    if they have been doing this for the past "20 years" as it says on the website, I think you are mistaking this visa for the new J1 visa that we are so earnestly awaiting information on.

I don't mean to be snide about people trying to help but let's not keep getting peoples' hopes up with false leads like above.

I yet again hope to be proven wrong!

Hi Veritable,

The Irish Intern work and travel program is a J-1 visa program - they have been processing J-1 visas for over 20 years and now that the new Irish Work and Travel program is in effect - they can sponsor people for this particular program too. Just ask them - not to sound snide...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gyladene

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum - an American waiting for the program to be implemented so that I can apply for the Irish visa and be ready to go in June. There have been no updates on this side at all since the end of September. They said that the program was set to launch the first week of November. Here we are a couple of days from December and still no word...

Hi Veritable,

The Irish Intern work and travel program is a J-1 visa program - they have been processing J-1 visas for over 20 years and now that the new Irish Work and Travel program is in effect - they can sponsor people for this particular program too. Just ask them - not to sound snide...

Well find another thread because you're confusing which j-1 we're all waiting to hear about. stop spamming about this company

PS everyone subscribed: sorry for bumping the thread with no good news. I rang usit,sayit etc this week and they are still waiting to hear from the government agencies about the start date

• Advertisement

PS everyone subscribed: sorry for bumping the thread with no good news. I rang usit,sayit etc this week and they are still waiting to hear from the government agencies about the start date

No need to say sorry, Veritable. :) I know you're primarily looking out for news on the Irish end, but I really appreciate your vigilance as it helps me know that it's not just the American side that's being super slow with the updates.

I'm generally a patient person, but this wait is going to be the death of me! I'm so tempted to just buy my plane ticket now...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

sry for bumping the thread without contributing anything:o, but can someone tell me if a plc in security would count as post secondary education?

Well find another thread because you're confusing which j-1 we're all waiting to hear about. stop spamming about this company

I'm sorry for the confusion, but I just don't understand why you think I'm not talking about the same program? It is my understanding that we all want to know about the Irish Intern Work and Travel Program - which I am not confusing with a typical exchange visitor program. All I'm saying is that a friend of mine is currently applying for the Irish Intern Work and Travel Program - you know the one where you come to the US for 12 months to work? Yeah...not the typical J-1 program that has been around for years but the new one for Irish and American students. Perhaps there is someone else besides YOU that knows something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I'm sorry for the confusion, but I just don't understand why you think I'm not talking about the same program? It is my understanding that we all want to know about the Irish Intern Work and Travel Program - which I am not confusing with a typical exchange visitor program. All I'm saying is that a friend of mine is currently applying for the Irish Intern Work and Travel Program - you know the one where you come to the US for 12 months to work? Yeah...not the typical J-1 program that has been around for years but the new one for Irish and American students. Perhaps there is someone else besides YOU that knows something...

Well said.

And it's an internet forum thread. People can post to it when they want if they want to add or ask something.

If you want actual information, how about going to the US embassy. Or make it easier and just ring.

Unfortunately you must have missed the posts before yours that say we are looking at the new j1 visa, not the existing intern visa. In fairness do you think we are thick - as if we don't know about our existing options when it comes to US visas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Unfortunately you must have missed the posts before yours that say we are looking at the new j1 visa, not the existing intern visa. In fairness do you think we are thick - as if we don't know about our existing options when it comes to US visas.

You don't seem like the brightest spark, so I don't blame him for tryin to help.

If you actually read what he's posted he is sure he's talking about the new visa this thread is about.

He stated that the web site has no info currently up, but they have info if you ring them.

Stop bein a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Stop going at each other please. Keep checking this thread and seeing nothing but fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

Kanney wrote: »
    Stop going at each other please. Keep checking this thread and seeing nothing but fights.

LOL, I was gonna say that too...

So no news yet on the visa? did ye all send if your application for the DV Lotto last week. its meant to be like 1 in 164 people win a permenant visa tru that thing... I like them odds

Still no updates on my end. Sorry for bumping with no news, but I just feel like commiserating.

I just wish the websites would at least update their info. Every site I visit, both on the Irish side and the US side, say something about a November launch. Well here we are well into December and...nothing.

I get the feeling this wait is going to carry over into the New Year. :( With the holidays approaching, the launch of this exchange visa is probably the last thing on the minds of the people in charge.

i agree gyladene, december is a terrible time for getting business done, fingers crossed for the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Its sickening i graduated last December. If they go into the new year, I am out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

What are you all taking as the date you graduated? Is it the day you got your final results or the day of the graduation ceremony? Stupid question maybe but my online transcript lists my status as "graduated" but the ceremony isn't until the middle of January.

I feel so bad for those who graduated last November/December. I hope they sort it out soon so that at least some of them will be eligible.

I'm dying to know more details, like whether we can choose a date to activate it or if it just starts when we land there (within the 12 months obviously).

Usually when organizations/companies ask for a graduation date, they mean the date shown on the official transcript.

I don't finish my Masters program until May, but I'm still nervous about this wait. On this end, they've now changed the launch from "November 2008" to "late 2008 or early 2009". I'm hoping they mean no later than January, but we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Gyladene wrote: »
    Usually when organizations/companies ask for a graduation date, they mean the date shown on the official transcript.

I don't finish my Masters program until May, but I'm still nervous about this wait. On this end, they've now changed the launch from "November 2008" to "late 2008 or early 2009". I'm hoping they mean no later than January, but we'll see...

Ah ok that does make more sense, thanks. I guess I have a year from today then :D

I've decided not to go until late next year but I'm still getting impatient because I'd like to know more about the process and how the visa's start date is determined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clarebearstare

I would hope in the interest of fairness they'd be lenient enough if your year since you graduated is up in Nov/Dec/Jan because it's hardly your fault that red tape or whatever delayed the visa from being released in November like the public were told it would be.

I graduated in October just gone but some of my friends are in the situation were they graduated a year ago this month, it seems really unfair that they would nitpick about a month or two :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

it seems really unfair that they would nitpick about a month or two :)

If only!! :rolleyes: you obviously have never gone through the visa process before! Unfortunately they wont care, and have no problem refusing visa, many more people that will take your place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clarebearstare

Oh I know all about the process, I've done the J1! I should have no problem seeing as I only graduated in October but in general if the delay is down to them being unorganised or whatever I think some level of leniency should be applied.

Just curious but has anyone rang the embassy? Or have you been dealing with USIT/SAYIT?

Hi All!

I guess USIT/SAYIT will not be processing this particular visa until after the new year since a lot of the US Embassies are really busy around this time. I did see one sponsorship organization posting more details about the program. My school has also been posting stuff on the program too. Check out http://www.tcd.ie/Careers/vacancies/job_details.php?vacancyID=6708

and

Here is the link and what the company says about it:
    http://www.panatlanticsmsgroup.com/j-1_visa_program/news/

J-1 Visa Program

J-1 Visa Program > News
    Exciting new US opportunity announced for Irish Students!
    Talk about the luck of the Irish! A just announced new opportunity is available only for Irish students who want to participate in an internship program in the United States.
    The United States and Ireland soon will begin to implement a Twelve-Month Intern Work and Travel Pilot Program for post-secondary students or young people within twelve months of graduation. The new program is an innovative exchange program that will allow thousands of young people from Ireland to enter the United States for a period of twelve months on a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa.
    Here are the requirements to participate in the program:
    All participants must be interviewed in-person and must meet the following program eligibility requirements:
    • You must be a citizen of Ireland.
    • You must be a bona fide post-secondary college/university student or recent graduate. A recent graduate is defined as an Irish citizen who has graduated from a post-secondary college/university in their home country no more than 12 months beyond graduation. The applicant must provide evidence from his/her post-secondary institution of student status or graduation.
    • Vocational students pursuing studies at a tertiary level accredited academic institution are not eligible for participation unless such vocational study is part of a structured program leading to a degree or other credential recognized as equivalent to Level VI of the Irish Higher Education System.
    • You must provide proof of sufficient financial resources, prior to the issuance of a visa (with Form DS-2019, and that you can support yourself throughout your program and for your return home.
    • You may not be accompanied by spouse or dependents.
    Contact us today to learn more!

Has anyone contacted them to find out more info?

Hi Again,

Just called these people and I guess they are accepting people for the program now. They said to go online to submit your CV to start the process and learn more about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frank007

Thats the same thing as you posted before, thats not the new visa

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

It's all pretty confusing isn't it? :confused: I've been keeping an eye on the news, but so far it seems no formal application process for the 12 month work visa has opened yet. I signed up with USIT to be notified when the program is open so hopefully they'll keep me posted. There's a link to register your interest on the USIT home page....

Frank007 wrote: »
    Thats the same thing as you posted before, thats not the new visa

I believe it is the new Irish Intern Work and Travel Visa - why would you think it is different if the company says it is for the Irish Intern Work and Travel program?

JDean, I think the issue people are having is that this company is not the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs nor is it the U.S. Embassy. Neither of those entities have said anything about people being able to apply now, and they're the ones in charge of the program. All other visa processing companies are mirroring what's being said by the Embassy - the launch date for applications is "TBA". So it makes sense that people are skeptical of this one company that says it's accepting applications for the 12-month visa when everything else regarding the 12-month visa appears to be at a stand still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I believe it is the new Irish Intern Work and Travel Visa - why would you think it is different if the company says it is for the Irish Intern Work and Travel program?
    There already is an Intern Visa. The new Visa is not an 'internship' Visa, is it? So I doubt it's the same one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fierce

Hi All I've been keeping an eye on the thread and I'm as eager as the rest of ye to get more information and get my visa sorted.

If ye look at this link http://exchanges.state.gov/jexchanges/index.html
    and click on intern work and travel pilot program for Ireland in the corner of the page you will see the guidelines for administration basically the requirements to enable you to get the visa.

Also note that it says at the bottom of the first paragraph that the program has been effective on Oct 31.

This panatlantic crowd that has been mentioned in previous threads is a designated sponsor of the US govt and they are now accepting applications.

Usit, Sayit etc being Irish companies will not be designated sponsors they will merely link up with a designated sponsor in the USA and my guess is that they have not yet done that for whatever reason.

Advertisement