Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velvet Revolver and Audioslave are obsolete dinosaurs.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

There are plenty of good young-ish bands out there.

On VR and Audioslave, I thought Scott Weiland's voice was a bit weak for the rock stuff, he was great for the ballads, The Last Fight and Can't Get It Out Of My Head are some of the few songs I like by them.

Audioslave were hit and miss, I love the first album, Show Me How To Live, Like a Stone, Shadow on the Sun, I Am The Highway and Last Remaining Light are all great, listened to Revelations after Chris Cornell died and it was much better than I remembered, his presence is still badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

There are plenty of good young-ish bands out there.

On VR and Audioslave, I thought Scott Weiland's voice was a bit weak for the rock stuff, he was great for the ballads, The Last Fight and Can't Get It Out Of My Head are some of the few songs I like by them.

Audioslave were hit and miss, I love the first album, Show Me How To Live, Like a Stone, Shadow on the Sun, I Am The Highway and Last Remaining Light are all great, listened to Revelations after Chris Cornell died and it was much better than I remembered, his presence is still badly missed.

who are the good young-ish band, im kinda out of the loop and would like some new music.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

cosatron wrote: »
    who are the good young-ish band, im kinda out of the loop and would like some new music.

AC/DC, they're a young up and coming band out of Australia. Their frontman Bon Scott is definitely irreplacable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

interesting that slash has no happy memories of VR at all

generic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

AC/DC, they're a young up and coming band out of Australia. Their frontman Bon Scott is definitely irreplacable.

ha, did ye hear about this ginger lad out of hollywood, his got some wail

• Advertisement

All the young ones love bon scott!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

cosatron wrote: »

Lari Basilio

Joanne Shaw Taylor

Beast in Black

Cellar Darling

Unleash the Archers

Black Stone Cherry

Myrkur

Most of these didn't exist when Velvet Revolver broke up in 2008.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I'd also add Halestorm to that mix

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

I'd also add Halestorm to that mix

That song is from 2012. Halestorm had promise pity they become pretty forgettable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

This thread reminded me that 2006 was 15 years ago, please shut it down immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've only recently discovered Audioslave. They have some epic tracks, but I couldn't get into any of their albums.

I was a huge GnR fan and was around when they came on the scene, and was into a lot of the LA rock at the time.
    I've never liked Scott Weiland in VR. I just don't like his voice. Seems better on his own. VR I could never get into. Seems less than the sum of its parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Saw this thread and I was wondering what had happened..:D

Saw VR few years ago. Saw GNR live in 1992. Comparisons are unfair.

You meet a nice girl when you are both 19, don't expect her to be the same when you are both 47!!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Mecrab wrote: »
    Id say we'd all kill for a new rock band that's as good as Velvet Revolver or Audioslave in 2021..

You will be waiting quite some time.

Those two bands were the dying embers of the decadent rock 'n roll lifestyle that simply can't be replicated or indeed could continue for much longer.

Rock and metal are at an all time low in terms of popularity right now. It tends to go in cycles; the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 00s (whatever you think of nu metal, it was certainly innovative with the groundwork laid by Korn back in 94) were seminal decades for the genres. There seemed to be a bit of a revival in the late 00s to very early 10s but that is long since gone. They could come back to massive popularity, but there needs to be an inspiration.

Audioslave is a great album if slightly by the numbers and Out of Exile is great for how diverse it is. VR's Contraband is slightly by the numbers too but compared to redundant recent nonsense like Greta Van Fleet, it's basically a classic and Libertad worked in places.

It's sad we lost two great voices of their generation. You won't see or hear the like of them ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

On a side note, another Army of Anyone album could be a good thing. Richard Patrick's vocals really suited that project. While the current Korn drummer was on it, I think he went a bit OTT on some of the songs, but still a solid album.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

berettaman wrote: »
    Saw this thread and I was wondering what had happened..:D

Saw VR few years ago. Saw GNR live in 1992. Comparisons are unfair.

You meet a nice girl when you are both 19, don't expect her to be the same when you are both 47!!;):D

I'd still do both of them

I'd still do both of them

me too

• Any good original hard rock/metal band knocking around small town Ireland the last few years? Stereo Nasty (Carlow/Kildare) really hit the spot when they were around. An 80s Ozzy buzz off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭thebronze14

Audioslave's first two albums were unreal. They went a bit stale by the third

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

Loved the first audio slave album. Didn’t care much for the other ones.

was the same for qotsa songs for the deaf. Loved that album, maybe even my favourite ever but never liked their other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Layne

Couldn't agree more especially with QOTSA.

Songs for the Deaf is one of my all time favourite albums. The rock radio interludes, the ferocious Nick Olivieri on bass and vocals (especially on Six Shooter!!) and the tone change on songs with Lanegan on vocals. A monster of an album. Almost everything from them since has been average by comparision imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Joffrey

With their own sound you say? well I dont think we can be accused of ripping of anyone in SWG

Advertisement