Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

State still committed to funding for Waterford's North Quays

Can't wait for the experts here to explain how this is just another load of waffle.

I don't think people think nothing will happen with the NQ's, I think people made the point that they never believed the Saudi's would be developing the site.

I for one hope Falcon are the ones and we get moving sooner rather than later, as getting another developer creates further delays.

I always said from day one, if we get the infrastructure work done for the NQs and get a really good development in Michael St I'd be happy for now.

Although Michael St seems to have been forgotten about.

I guess we'll know come Monday either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

So - did they sign yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

So - did they sign yesterday?

Doubt it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Can anyone put a figure on what the Council have spent on the project up to the present?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

jelutong wrote: »
    Can anyone put a figure on what the Council have spent on the project up to the present?

€3/4m...? Did they not own the majority of the lands...?

• Advertisement

What's going to happen to that man who is getting/got his garage CPO'd by the council. Last time I checked he was taking them to the high court.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

What's going to happen to that man who is getting/got his garage CPO'd by the council. Last time I checked he was taking them to the high court.

He got his money as far as I know. The petrol station?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Eddie Lynch. Chap who owns the woodlands. Got his money yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Surely the value of the Petrol Station went down because of Covid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

So Rob Cass stating on wlr that the term sheet was being submitted that evening was horse manure, like we all knew anyway

Roll on the council meeting at 9am tomorrow, should be gripping

It's like a very bad Arthur Hailey blockbuster. Airport. Wheels. Hotel. North Quays. A tale of endless intrigue and manoeuvres set on the riverside and in the city hall of Ireland's oldest city.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Looks like Falcon/Al Hokair have been told to hump it, and have never been able to show that they have funding lined up

Someone has some explaining to do!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

kuang1 wrote: »
    Eddie Lynch. Chap who owns the woodlands. Got his money yes.

Not the case, that’s currently still ongoing as of this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Not the case, that’s currently still ongoing as of this morning.

Oh really? I was misinformed so.

This isn't holding anything up though I think right?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/05/17/council-to-seek-new-developers-for-north-quays/
    Our very own Lyle lanley (rob Cass) is some spoofer.you could tell by the way he spoke on wlr he was caught out.blatantly lying that his side will have the contracts signed.waterford is better off without this man.get proper investors in willing to put their money where their mouth is

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2021/05/17/council-to-seek-new-developers-for-north-quays/
    Our very own Lyle lanley (rob Cass) is some spoofer.you could tell by the way he spoke on wlr he was caught out.blatantly lying that his side will have the contracts signed.waterford is better off without this man.get proper investors in willing to put their money where their mouth is

I more than most gave Rob the benefit of the doubt, which I think he deserved at the time and many were quick to move against him.

Hopefully this is a simple case of Falcon providing the clarifications that the council require for proof of funding, as I do not think another developer will be as easily available as the council think.

But Rob is quickly losing all credibility within Waterford and he will need to come up with the goods ASAP otherwise there will be nothing left to lose, it might even be too late already.

Maybe the council are just playing hard-ball but it does not look good for Falcon or Rob.

Any chance of a decent shopping centre at least? City square is stuck in the early 90s. That's one thing I'd like to see in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

In fairness to Rob I don't think the project would have advanced anywhere near as quickly without him and the Saudis, but there's been one too many broken promises now and you can see why the Council have had enough. I'm sure he's hurt by the whole thing, and was probably let down by the Saudis himself.

Don't like to see a pile-on against someone who meant well and has been promoting Waterford around the world, even if they have fallen short at the last hurdle by the looks of it. He's done more than most.

In fairness to Rob I don't think the project would have advanced anywhere near as quickly without him and the Saudi's, but there's been one too many broken promises now and you can see why the Council have had enough. I'm sure he's hurt by the whole thing, and was probably let down by the Saudi's himself.

Don't like to see a pile-on against someone who meant well and has been promoting Waterford around the world, even if they have fallen short at the last hurdle by the looks of it. He's done more than most.

You know who knows how things might have turned out if Covid didn't happen. We have some luck down here unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Any chance of a decent shopping centre at least? City square is stuck in the early 90s. That's one thing I'd like to see in Waterford.

Agreed. Think the focus needs to be on Michael St, get the infrastructure done for the NQ's. Michael St has been sitting idle some time now with no infrastructure constraints.

Let's get Michael St done as shopping then look at NQs as business sector

914 wrote: »
    Agreed. Think the focus needs to be on Michael St, get the infrastructure done for the NQ's. Michael St has been sitting idle some time now with no infrastructure constraints.

Let's get Michael St done as shopping then look at NQs as business sector

I don't know whether Falcon's updated Michael Street plans (if they ever even existed) included apartments in Michael Street but this is absolutely critical.

There is absolutely no decent apartments in the city and we need more people living, working and spending in the city centre.

To think a new development didn't include housing is just insanity in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

would somebody be able to explain to me the situation with the Ferrybank shopping center and why it is not open. I kinda missed that whole situation years ago. Is there even an article or link that goes through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

dzilla wrote: »
    would somebody be able to explain to me the situation with the Ferrybank shopping center and why it is not open. I kinda missed that whole situation years ago. Is there even an article or link that goes through it?

KK CC approved Planning, WCC appealed, appeal was turned down, building built, bust came, Anchor Tenant refused to move in. Lot abandoned.

Junior wrote: »
    KK CC approved Planning, WCC appealed, appeal was turned down, building built, bust came, Anchor Tenant refused to move in. Lot abandoned.

But why now is it still empty if Waterford is crying out for retail units? Is it all down to Dunnes stores moving out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

But why now is it still empty if Waterford is crying out for retail units? Is it all down to Dunnes stores moving out ?

Because it goes against the plan for retail for the city. (short version)

Junior wrote: »
    Because it goes against the plan for retail for the city. (short version)

Ok i see

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

According to this recent article, it has full-time security in operation and regular maintenance is carried out. It acts as security for loans owed according to NAMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Too big, in the wrong place, essentially a cynical grab at rates and development charges by KK Council.

Advertisement