Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do some people stop using online forums?

Options
  • 10-04-2021 8:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

Like boards or others? I know this forum has been controversial for some but I don't get why some posters with 5,000+ posts and having been here for over 5+ years just suddenly stop posting.

Is it death, boredom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Some just get board with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

In fairness, internet forums probably peaked around 2006.

If you annoy some of the mods a bit too much, you get 'disappeared.

Only on the sinn fein forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Only on the sinn fein forum :D

An Ceapaim

Ni Ceapaim

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

I've done this a couple of times.
    Sometimes it's good to take a break.
    Give your mind a rest and space.
    Cold turkey.
    Recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

the culture war/ left-right thing killed a lot of the conversation.

any mild opinion just got you accusations of belonging to such and such a camp, and references to historic events, and how your views on a 5 euro change in council tax will manifest in the rising to power of extreme forces and the eventual destruction of society. as per 19-whenever.

so you'd just end up *talking with some partisan loon in a basement, and they'd never give in even if faced with physical proof. so it was just time to say fck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Its the satisfaction in committing murder with your online persona as the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'll close mine when I'm CaughtBandit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Been reading Boards for years but only started posting about 12 months ago. I expect I’ll stop posting again when we return to post-Covid normality.

I find a few posters on here quite annoying and really don’t enjoy their input at all. It’s easier to tune them out when you aren’t actively posting.

There was a girl who used to post on here for quite a few years. She lived in Madrid and posted regularly about her life there. I always found her content interesting, particularly as I lived abroad myself at the same time. She just stopped posting overnight and never returned under a new persona. One of the few posters who really resonated with me and whose content I genuinely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I dissapeared off a forum i was involved running although id zero involvement in setting it up... it was music based.. for about four or five years it was fun, interesting, informative.. friendly...music based in the main but it had a section for general fun and good natured bòllocks much like after hours here....plus cinema, travelling and more besides...

It got taken over by a seemingly older cohort of oddballs... who seemed like ok a bit eccentric... a bit lost and perhaps lonley.. moaning if anybody was drifting off topic on 'their' threads but it was ok for them to waffle endlessly about the most random nonsense.. where people were talking about music / current affairs / .... the guy running it was too nice to want to let us fix it and basically... after a user complained for the third time that these chumps were derailing threads on purpose.. it wasnt the job..of any of us to act às social workers for these people i just said good luck...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Changing technology and cultural shifts online and off. The move to phones and tablets for many if not most tends to drive quick and short responses and is more a device for forwarding of memes and conversations. As 85603 notes the imported from Yankland culture war stuff has also divided people more, or at least more obviously so. That in turn and human nature in general tends to prefer places where they can hang out with generally similar minded people, so we have the increase in so called "echo chambers" where different opinions are downvoted to oblivion or never invited in the first place.

I say human nature because the rise of the interwebs was initially mostly populated by nerds and there was that barrier. I've found nerdy folks in general tend to be brighter than average, more open to different opinions and more into rules of conduct. They do tend to be more "left wing" too, but that's part of the more open to different opinions as a general thing. Like any new arena it starts small and with some general mutual agreement about the rules coming soon after. As more and more people show up, more and more internal groups form and look to mark themselves out. Kinda like if you open up a club and 20 people show up at first they'll tend to hang out together, when the numbers hit a 1000 you get far more groups forming. I reckon the above is a lot of it anyway.

Add in generations coming along who seek different outlets for conversation and attention and the ageing demographic in here. As people age they tend to get very set in the thoughts and philosophies they have decided fit(doubly so for men in my experience) so they're less up for debate in general. Younger people, again in general are far more fluid on this score, more engaged, less rigid, more open.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Hdjsjsjsj

Guess it's due to interest changing. I posted in an Android Forum for about 5 years and one day for no particular reason I just stopped.

Novelty wore off I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Hamachi wrote: »
    Been reading Boards for years but only started posting about 12 months ago. I expect I’ll stop posting again when we return to post-Covid normality.

I find a few posters on here quite annoying and really don’t enjoy their input at all. It’s easier to tune them out when you aren’t actively posting.

There was a girl who used to post on here for quite a few years. She lived in Madrid and posted regularly about her life there. I always found her content interesting, particularly as I lived abroad myself at the same time. She just stopped posting overnight and never returned under a new persona. One of the few posters who really resonated with me and whose content I genuinely missed.

I think you fancied her.

Who's annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They might have died?

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think you fancied her.

Who's annoying?

On the former, I’ve no idea what she looks like, so no idea. Do you remember her too?

On the latter, not going there!

For millions of reasons I imagine. People change and move on, they no longer get anything out of posting, the community changes or disappears, interests change. I don't think it always means that the particular medium becomes an issue for them.

Some of the reviews of Boards on Trust Pilot were interesting. I wonder if they are from posters who had an axe to grind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

This isn't my first account. I stopped posting for a good while because I was busy and this was a distraction. I wasn't planning on returning - not for a while longer anyway, but I wanted to join a particular show's discussion on the TV forum.
    On the former, I’ve no idea what she looks like, so no idea. Do you remember her too?

On the latter, not going there!
    I know who you're referring to. All good by her. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Cock blocking.

Celchick wrote: »
    I know who you're referring to. All good by her. :)

Good to see you back! Used to look forward to your latest slice of life from Madrid :)

• Advertisement

Good to see you back! Used to look forward to your latest slice of life from Madrid :)
    Oh no it's not me but I know her from here. She's getting on fine anyway!

Oh no it's not me but I know her from here. She's getting on fine anyway!

Ah ok! Glad to hear that. I’m sure she would think it extremely weird that an anonymous stranger on the internet remembers her, but her posts chimed with my own life abroad at the time. I occasionally wondered if something negative had happened that caused her to disappear. Good to know that’s not the case!

Ah ok! Glad to hear that. I’m sure she would think it extremely weird that an anonymous stranger on the internet remembers her, but her posts chimed with my own life abroad at the time.
    Not at all. There are always posters that we connect with!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've left twice and reluctantly came back. Usually it's biased moderation that pushes me away.

Not at all. There are always posters that we connect with!

There are a few from the long ago I wonder about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

clubbing forums were great... I miss them

When I first joined boards there was a poster called e_e who I found I was on a similar wavelength to with similar tastes etc and then they closed their account out of the blue. A thread like this would remind me of them and make me wonder, are they still on boards now with a different username or if not was everything ok for them or what made them close.

arccosh wrote: »
    clubbing forums were great... I miss them

the gaa forums used be mad.....lads in school used log in,during computer class

Then there would be wholesale investigations as regards,who was who across several forums......our class used line up with some schools in kk and tipp and general laugh and pisstakes to be had

Alot of people made good friends there and linked up at oxygen/college/back packing etc........great "internetting culture" where noone took serious,.....pity they died off tbh,as much as reddit is good etc,they had a good natured wildness that reddit is too big to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Alot of people made good friends there and linked up at oxygen/college/back packing etc........great "internetting culture" where noone took serious,.....pity they died off tbh,as much as reddit is good etc,they had a good natured wildness that reddit is too big to have

that's it, facebook is too personal, reddit hasn't the granularity or the "die hards" that forums usually attracted...

glad to have kept a good few forum friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

There are 3 or so posters who have left here in fairly recent times who I had a lot of time for.

Advertisement