Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Annasopra wrote:
    So now they have Box Burger Vox Burger Smashed Burger Wing It Joes Chicken Platform Fish Bar Little King Martello Harbour Bar Firefly One14

Add Pici to that list now!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,742 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

marko99 wrote: »

I dunno. Too much expansion too fast?

Or will they just end up buying the Star and Butler and Barry and The Strand for the Bruggan Seafront?

Edit: last comment was tongue in cheek. I dont begrudge them at all. I like what they do. They are good for the town bringing nice food and a lot of employment. Im just a little puzzled about their business strategy of expanding with so many new brands.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I wonder is it a tactic of setting up very low cost, manned by one-two people “food truck” sized places to saturating the the take away delivery market to make up for some of the revenue lost out by the pubs? And that they’ll be wound down and brought into their more established restaurants when things open back up.

Smash -> box
    Joe’s -> box or platform
    Pici -> platform
    Etc.

marko99 wrote:

Oh, and Fika too, of course!

Oh, and Fika too, of course!

I dont think Fika is them. I think its rented to whoever runs Fika

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Annasopra wrote:
    I dont think Fika is them. I think its rented to whoever runs Fika

Ah, ok!

There is a new coffee van up on Bray head called a Brew with a view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

In the carpark or actually up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AmongHomes

Duggans have bought Duffs, the pub scene in Bray is fast becoming a duopoly we will have €6.50 a pint for Christmas with few options in the town

AmongHomes wrote: »
    Duggans have bought Duffs, the pub scene in Bray is fast becoming a duopoly we will have €6.50 a pint for Christmas with few options in the town

I don't believe this.
    Not in a Victor Meldrew way, I actually don't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

If this continues, Bray town council will have to replace the Brabazon griffin with a bust of JD (joke! I like that they are regenerating Bray, even if the idea of that level of monopoly creeps me out a little)

3 days too late.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Is Everest of Kathmandu closed or just being redecorated?

Drove by it the other night, looked like they are renovating. Hopefully so, lovely food there.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

If this continues, Bray town council will have to replace the Brabazon griffin with a bust of JD (joke! I like that they are regenerating Bray, even if the idea of that level of monopoly creeps me out a little)

What happens if you get barred from one? Your gone from them all? Not that I have ever been barred from a pub before but I know my cousin was barred from the Martello.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

No idea mate. Wouldn't say so.

Thargor wrote: »
    In the carpark or actually up there?

Not sure, a friend said it was parked in a field however.

Another offering at the Anchor Bar on its way called Beach Yard. Seems to be a food truck festival of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

I was up on Bray Head at the weekend. It's parked in a lovely spot on the upper cliff walk, just as you walk down from the cross towards Greystones. Probably around 500 metres from the cross.

Didn't buy anything from it as it was quite busy while we were there - as you can see from the photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ha, looks like a Roddy Doyle book cover.

Duggans have bought Duffs

I heard this again yesterday

Plus The Old Anchor (porterhouse) are pulling out their beer garden at the back and will have bays for loads of different food trucks. Hoping to open in summer.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It had been rumoured in previous years that the Duggans had bought The Bray Head Hotel and the Porterhouse, so I'll wait for confirmation from John before I'd believe it

• Advertisement

Duffs wasn't for sale, it would have attracted a lot of attention if it had been.

Duffs wasn't for sale, it would have attracted a lot of attention if it had been.

You sure of that? ;)

You sure of that? ;)

Yeah

Lots of businesses quietly sell without publicly going up for sale. Hollands was never for sale.

Terry Pratchet

zoobizoo wrote: »
    It had been rumoured in previous years that the Duggans had bought The Bray Head Hotel and the Porterhouse, so I'll wait for confirmation from John before I'd believe it

They were buying the porterhouse but it fell through.

Terry Pratchet

Annasopra wrote: »
    Lots of businesses quietly sell without publicly going up for sale. Hollands was never for sale.

We all knew Holland's was closing down before it was bought?

Annasopra wrote: »
    They were buying the porterhouse but it fell through.

That's not what I heard! Apparently the Porterhouse refused them.

We can all share unsubstantiated rumours and pass them off as fact.

Yeah

Well, I guess we'll find out.

So far the evidence is:
    1. A post on Boards by a user that hasn't been back to the thread since.

No that's it.
    Thing about rumours is even if you've heard it more than once, there's no guarantee it's not the same source. Say I said to my husband "Someone online says Duffs has been sold." He goes into work and asks his colleague "Did you hear Duffs has been sold?" His colleauge says "No, didn't hear that", goes home and asks their housemate. The housemate is a Boards user, so they come on here and find this thread, and "Hey, that's the second time I heard that, it must be true."
    You can understand my skepticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I heard Duffs was sold to the Duggan’s and they’re gonna set up a Penney’s to put an end to the near 25 year old rumour that Penney’s is coming to Bray.

Is there anything they can’t do?

Advertisement