Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Damage:
    548852.jpg

Clean up the area:
    548853.jpg

Make graphics using a carefully removed good piece from a scrap fairing:
    548854.jpg

et voila. €330 saved - yes, €330 for a bloody decal. Not mistaken; not joking!!
    548855.jpg

The true solution is a good, used complete fairing which would run €100-€150 but in the absence of one available, this will more that do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

H_Lime wrote: »
    Looking forward to it. You have your next project lined up? Any work on yer own bikes?

Motivation went through the floor in the New Year and a promise to put me on shift work didn't happen so I've struggled with the mind, energy, and the time to keep after multiple projects.

On one hand, I might take a break after the Fazer and Fireblade are finished. On the other hand, I'm half looking for something to use and abuse ahead of my beloved GSX1400. It's currently declared off the road so I have nothing of my own on the road. I wouldn't mind finding something sports-touring-ish or ideally, something adventure-ish I can do some touring on this year! If it needed fixing up, all the better.

If nothing turns up, I may put the Fazer on the road in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Fair play I would be still sitting at the side of the road!

What brand Sticky String Kit \ Compressor do you have?

The compressor is an Airman brand. Works a treat.

The puncture kit I'm not sure but there are plenty on line, although I noticed when looking today for more of the strings that a lot of the kits don't come with the rubber cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Just picked up an RAC compressor from Argos. €18 so pretty cheap. Took it apart and greased the metal gears and oiled the piston.
    Got it as it's the smallest I could find (not much storage space on the bike).
    Comes with crocodile clips, SAE and accessory plug.
    Tried on wheelbarrow tyres, so it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Pretty sure I got my Airman here

https://www.nippynormans.com/k1200s/airman-adventure-tour-electric-air-pump-with-extra-attachments-and-bag

Possibly not the best place now with Brexit. It's a compact unit with storage for everything. Fits nicely under the pillion seat of the Tiger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

After a few distractions, mostly work shaped I've finally got the finger out.

F4i clocks wired into the F3 and working, need to make brackets now and a temp sensor from a 900RR to make the temp work. Should have it back out on the road in the next couple of weeks

Waiting on rebuild kits for the front calipers and need to reassemble the rest

https://imgur.com/gallery/BxoCBGd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

lennymc wrote: »
    did very little in quite a while, went to start the fazer a couple of weeks ago after a good while sitting up, and it was dead. Charged battery, but it wasnt holding, so new battery. test ride around the block, and it was riding rough as a box of frogs, and eventually died. New battery was dead, recharged, left it for a few days and came back to 6 volts. Charged, put a meter across it, and <12 volts at5k rpm. new regulator ordered and fit, so its now back in spec at 5k rpm. Battery fully charged now, so will get out for a spin around the block later, see how it's riding, and monitor battery level over next few days to make sure that there is no drain. The joys of parking things up. Stupid covid.

Bike is riding fine now, good charge and battery holding charge. Mysterious drain is gone, happy days. Will get around to fitting the lights and heated grips just in time for summer and the longer evenings... :)

i had actually forgotten how nice it is to ride - does needs lots of revs to get going tho. redline at 14k, nothing below 6k.

I got ordered a pair of Rizoma bar end mirrors yesterday from a bike shop in Genoa, Italy Carpimoto. Rizoma stuff can be hard to find here. Lots of UK shops sell them but stock is intermittent and I didn't want to get stung with brexit charges. They were posted at 5.30pm yesterday, delivered today at 11.30am and on the bike not long after that.

42VzZS8.jpg?1
    0TwjRYa.jpg?1

Rain started bucketing down as I was putting them on, flooded my tool box in a few seconds it was so heavy :mad:

YxIXE2n.jpg?1
    5IV4E1g.jpg?1
    yubgbdS.jpg?2

A vast improvement over the stock mirrors, now I can see something other than my elbows. Next on the list when I can spare the cash will be black Rizoma handlebars and risers. Then maybe Bonamici rearsets, funds permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I got ordered a pair of Rizoma bar end mirrors yesterday from a bike shop in Genoa, Italy Carpimoto. Rizoma stuff can be hard to find here. Lots of UK shops sell them but stock is intermittent and I didn't want to get stung with brexit charges. They were posted at 5.30pm yesterday, delivered today at 11.30am and on the bike not long after that.

42VzZS8.jpg?1
    0TwjRYa.jpg?1

Rain started bucketing down as I was putting them on, flooded my tool box in a few seconds it was so heavy :mad:

YxIXE2n.jpg?1
    5IV4E1g.jpg?1
    yubgbdS.jpg?2

A vast improvement over the stock mirrors, now I can see something other than my elbows. Next on the list when I can spare the cash will be black Rizoma handlebars and risers. Then maybe Bonamici rearsets, funds permitting.

Yeah carpi are handy alright and some great prices on some of their stuff.

Anyone have any idea how expensive powder coating is? I was going to swap the bars and risers and rearsets on the MT10 for rizoma or similar but now I'm thinking just powder coat the stock ones instead. I think the bike will look much better with as much of the alloy materials done in black. Is it expensive, take long to get done etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭goblin59

Anyone have any idea how expensive powder coating is? I was going to swap the bars and risers and rearsets on the MT10 for rizoma or similar but now I'm thinking just powder coat the stock ones instead. I think the bike will look much better with as much of the alloy materials done in black. Is it expensive, take long to get done etc?

you will probably be cheaper just buying new bars.
    Doesn't take long to do, maybe a week most.
    But its not cheap in Dublin.
    Depends where you are though, if your near fermanagh / Cavan try JME, he was cheap enough

goblin59 wrote: »
    you will probably be cheaper just buying new bars.
    Doesn't take long to do, maybe a week most.
    But its not cheap in Dublin.
    Depends where you are though, if your near fermanagh / Cavan try JME, he was cheap enough

Yeah I'd just buy different bars.
    Swap em back when selling on the bike.
    Sell the new ones and recoup some of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Swapped front mudguard for black carbon one I got from previous owner

Before
    20210410-123846-3.jpg

After
    20210410-130706-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Got my speedo working again! Only cost me a rectifier and possibly a new battery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

hedzball wrote: »
    Got my speedo working again! Only cost me a rectifier and possibly a new battery
    Possibly :D:D:D

kWAElK0m.jpg

Possibly :D:D:D

kWAElK0m.jpg

Jaysus hope that's not a regular occurrence!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

blade1 wrote: »
    Jaysus hope that's not a regular occurrence!

They're known for rectifiers to go kaput every now and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

They're known for rectifiers to go kaput every now and then!

A yuasa probably would have survived that. I've had 2 of those motobatts in the past and both died before a year. I actually put my old yuasa back into one bike and it survived another few years before I sold the bike. If you've got a bike that has known stator or RR issues (I'll assume it's a Honda) then a decent battery is worth getting.

zubair wrote: »
    A yuasa probably would have survived that. I've had 2 of those motobatts in the past and both died before a year. I actually put my old yuasa back into one bike and it survived another few years before I sold the bike. If you've got a bike that has known stator or RR issues (I'll assume it's a Honda) then a decent battery is worth getting.

Apparently Yuasa batteries made in US are inferior to the ones made in Japan.
    Or so I heard anyway.
    Bought a motobatt for the first time around Christmas for my mattiff purely because a couple of lads I know swore by them.
    Replaced a Yuasa which I'd normally buy.
    Then again I've heard a few fellas saying they wouldn't touch Yuasa :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Living in France and with Covid restrictions, feeling far from home.

549957.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

Had a close one on Sunday, had an ALDI charger on one of the bikes and young lad went into garage and found it having a meltdown, literally!
    I won't be buying another one, see pic :eek:

Yes it was attached correctly before anyone asks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

mamax wrote: »
    Had a close one on Sunday, had an ALDI charger on one of the bikes and young lad went into garage and found it having a meltdown, literally!

I have one of those on my bike now... or one very similar from Laldi also. *Goes to the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

di11on wrote: »
    549957.jpg

Fill it up with Guinness ;)

Life ain't always empty.

I have one of those on my bike now... or one very similar from Laldi also. *Goes to the shed

A quick Google search shows I'm not the first to have this happen.
    I won't ever leave anything like that unattended again, 3 bikes, 5 bicycles along with everything else gone up in smoke would have driven me over the edge.
    I was very very lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Fook thats not good very close to going on fire i would say
    I have one of those I wont be leaving that plugged in unattended or maybe just chuck it in the bin
    Bummer

Fook thats not good very close to going on fire i would say
    I have one of those I wont be leaving that plugged in unattended or maybe just chuck it in the bin
    Bummer

The young lad saved the day, just as he opened the door he saw flames starting so upplugged it from wall then bike and kicked it out the door, I owe him big time lol
    Bike appears to be fine thank fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

The young lad saved the day, just as he opened the door he saw flames starting so upplugged it from wall then bike and kicked it out the door, I owe him big time lol
    Bike appears to be fine thank fcuk
    A very close call indeed could easily had ended in tears
    well done that young man :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Fill it up with Guinness ;)
    I was half thinking of getting a custom tank job to make it look like a pint... the wife said that was too cringe... but I'm an emmigrant... that gives me latitude, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I was half thinking of getting a custom tank job to make it look like a pint... the wife said that was too cringe... but I'm an emmigrant... that gives me latitude, right?

You'd have to make it a two-stage ride every time ya took her out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Breezin

Living in France and with Covid restrictions, feeling far from home.

549957.jpg

Living in Ireland and with Covid restrictions. Not feeling sorry for you!

Advertisement