Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kolrus - Sign ups [Closing: 7th May, 9pm]

• 07-04-2021 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭

0e377be77f453b1a981266c8e2dc5b97cfa96263.png
    Welcome to Kolrus

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. The standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories and a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) and the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why am I doing it?

Well I love music and I’m actually surprised I’m only getting around to running my first walrus now.

What kind of music do I like?

Probably easier for me to say what kind of music I don’t like. Country is not for me. Not a big fan of grunge. Most other genres are fair game.
    What I would listen to most is 80s and 90s rock and pop. Also like some RnB, classical, 90s dance music. What I would like to get into more is jazz and
    The Categories

1 - Female Vocal - I tend to listen to more male singers than female. It is not by choice it just seems to be how things fall. So please pick a song sung by a female, can be solo or group, rock or R&B, anything female.
    2 - Original - We hear a lot of songs which are actually covers which we don't know about. Here I would like to hear the original from well known cover songs.
    3 - Dance Floor - I was hitting the dance floors of the late 90s to early 00s. I then found out that jumping around like a maniac (2000) is not really dancing :) However, I still have great memories of the dance songs from that era. So please pick a dance floor hit from mid 90s to mid 00s
    4 - Debut - Some artists have to work hard for success and some achieve it overnight. Here I would like to hear famous debut songs.
    5 - Changed your mind - Remember those songs you used to hate but over the years they have grown on you. Please pick a song you really disliked originally but have since changed your mind and like it now.
    6 - Uncharted - I have found some great songs on Youtube videos and other background music over the years. Here I would like to hear songs that were never released as singles. (In Ireland, UK, or US)
    7 - Hair metal - Well, I couldn't have a walrus without my favourite genre, love it or hate it, Hair Metal or 80s Glam Rock is awesome. Hit me with your best one.

Bonus Category - This one is just for fun, I will rank it but no points awarded to the overall scores as it is quite a niche category, in other words, you don't have to play this category if you don't want to. Pick a Bon Jovi song. Be aware, I'm more partial to their earlier material.

Please PM me your picks.
    No closing date as of yet, let's see how many we get and how other games go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I already know the song for the Dance Floor, I will research the rest tonight.
    Great categories, lots of 80s scope for me!!! :D:pac::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Irish Aris wrote: »

That's the only one I know too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've sent my choices in...

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's the category that I could offer absolutely nothing for. I'd probably even struggle to come up with anything from any other period instead tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Here I come.
    tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Kolido wrote: »
    4 - Debut - Some artists have to work hard for success and some achieve it overnight. Here I would like to hear famous debut songs
    There are some definitive answers to this question, it's hard to resist going very obvious :p

Similar for the originals of famous covers actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Zaph wrote: »
    That's the category that I could offer absolutely nothing for. I'd probably even struggle to come up with anything from any other period instead tbh.

Me neither but I'm going to put forward some songs I like, with a bit of shoehorning into the categories and Kol will come up interesting sometimes humorous reasons why he doesn't like them. Its all good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

There are some definitive answers to this question, it's hard to resist going very obvious :p

Similar for the originals of famous covers actually

Totally agree.
    Usually I try to go with lesser known tracks so the host can get some new music, but at least 4 categories here (original, dance floor, debut and hair metal) really look for something obvious. I actually think Necro has done a similar category to the hair metal (was it 80s power ballads or something, because I remember submitting Skid Row) and it was one of the best categories ever in a walrus.

Anyway, I'm in. After I narrowed down to 4 songs for some categories it was difficult to choose but I'm happy with my selections. Really looking forward to it!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Totally agree.
    Usually I try to go with lesser known tracks so the host can get some new music, but at least 4 categories here (original, dance floor, debut and hair metal) really look for something obvious. I actually think Necro has done a similar category to the hair metal (was it 80s power ballads or something, because I remember submitting Skid Row) and it was one of the best categories ever in a walrus.

Anyway, I'm in. After I narrowed down to 4 songs for some categories it was difficult to choose but I'm happy with my selections. Really looking forward to it!!

Just power ballads, but yeah it was unreal (and most submissions were 80s music anyways :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

4 submissions so far, thanks all.
    Apart from the Debut and to an extent, the originals, (song might be famous but the version not) there is plenty of scope for thinking outside the box here. Though going obvious and mainstream is all good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

After my Easter crucifixion at the hands of Emperor/Dame Necro in my first ever Walrus I'm a little reticent to have another go.
    But what the hell!
    One of the categories is quite a favourite genre of mine, one is going to be a challenge, the others will be fun.
    Besides, I need to wrestle the wooden spoon from Purple Tin.
    Gimme a couple of days and I will have this nailed (crucifixion-stylie).
    :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll definitely sign up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It'll be a massive undertaking for me to find a hair metal and Bon Jovi song I like :pac: Wooden spoon incoming methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dance floor is tricky - like do I offer some amazing trance from the period but then be disappointed that he wanted something more mainstream or do i go the mainstream route and then be disappointed that he wanted something Trancey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Got to stick to your guns Rikky, you've got to search for the hero inside yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jbj-731x1024.jpg

Bon Kol Jovi I am in

Me me I'll play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

After my Easter crucifixion at the hands of Emperor/Dame Necro in my first ever Walrus I'm a little reticent to have another go.
    But what the hell!
    One of the categories is quite a favourite genre of mine, one is going to be a challenge, the others will be fun.
    Besides, I need to wrestle the wooden spoon from Purple Tin.
    Gimme a couple of days and I will have this nailed (crucifixion-stylie).
    :D
    Hey you :mad: That's fightin talk, just let me get myself pumped up here..

giphy-downsized.gif

I'll try get an entry in for this. Have something in mind for most categories, however.....
    5 - Changed your mind - Remember those songs you used to hate but over the years they have grown on you. Please pick a song you really disliked originally but have since changed your mind and like it now.

....the last time I played this category I came last (thanks tusk). Not sure what other song comes to mind, might just have to randomly pick a Bon Jovi song and pretend I hated it but love it now. MUAH-HA-HA.... wait, maybe I shouldn't have typed that.....oh well. *Submit Reply*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

tenor.gif?itemid=5185063

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470mo4g8curfsf32yuw0zu7d3t6b1pstrzy9svt3oc&rid=giphy.gif

7 submissions in now, thanks everyone.

Just want to clarify my Hair Metal category, I know I mentioned 80s glam rock but you are not restricted to just the 80s. Apologies for the confusion there if there was any. Plenty of great songs from the 90s and even to this day. So no era restrictions here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

You now have 8 submissions!

iVGclr.gif

Number 6 has me stumped. A song that wasn't released as a single in the UK, US or here. There's loads but I haven't a clue what they are.

Number 6 has me stumped. A song that wasn't released as a single in the UK, US or here. There's loads but I haven't a clue what they are.

I'm sure this guy has a few...

7598d103a735d5568964e4967e42823d.gif

Necro wrote: »
    I'm sure this guy has a few...

7598d103a735d5568964e4967e42823d.gif

giphy.gif

I just submitted an album track that was never a single released anywhere.

If Kolido meant a song that was released in other countries as a single (but not US, UK or IRL) then I definitely need to resubmit.

Yeah basically an album track or could be foriegn music that was only released locally. I'm hoping with this I get songs I've never heard before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

3 - Dance Floor - I was hitting the dance floors of the late 90s to early 00s. I then found out that jumping around like a maniac (2000) is not really dancing :) However, I still have great memories of the dance songs from that era. So please pick a dance floor hit from mid 90s to mid 00s

Have fallen down rabbit hole :pac:

Might be shoehorning some of these classics into other categories, so much choice! ;)

Advertisement