Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate Battle of South America

Options
1565758596062»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ari101 wrote: »
    I'm not generally into traditional crested flags as much, and am very swayed by colour.

You're gonna love the next edition so. That's all I'll say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Omackeral wrote: »

Woohoo! :D

I'm not generally into traditional crested flags as much, and am very swayed by colour. There were a few I liked along the way (Durazno/Chubut/A navy one with a 4part crest I can't remember the name of :o, etc ) that really earned a place in my heart :)

Was it Belém?

thumb2-flag-of-belem-4k-silk-texture-brazilian-city-blue-silk-flag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Have 1 already drawn up and ready to go.
    Have 2 at the ''yeah, I reckon we can run those'' stage.
    One or two others at the back of my mind.

Oh and somewhere down the road we'll be holding the Ultimate Ultimate Battle, where every winner goes into a special tournament.

Have I said too much?!

I think you underestimate the difference these tournaments have made to people Omack, especially during the lockdowns last year when lot of us were home alone and needed a distraction. You made a difference to a lot of us and as you can see we enjoyed them so still coming back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Special mention to our 100 Club for a century or more of posts, namely KathleenGrant, Purgative,
    Zaph, JP Liz V1, SineadSpears and Cosmo Kramer!

oh cool, I felt like I missed loads of this especially the earlier in the day rounds.

glad to see I made it into the wafflers club :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I missed the result and the ensuing penalty shootout, so just catching up now. Delighted that having missed them I still managed to be involved in the final decision, it truly is a special flag.

Omack, you've outdone yourself with this one, thanks for a truly epic and hugely enjoyable game. And special credit to Kathleen for doing what the rest of us were too lazy to do and actually find out about the flags. :)

I'm not generally into traditional crested flags as much, and am very swayed by colour. There were a few I liked along the way (Durazno/Chubut/A navy one with a 4part crest I can't remember the name of :o, etc ) that really earned a place in my heart :)

wait, what does this all mean :eek: no crests maybe??? I love crests!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

wait, what does this all mean :eek: no crests maybe??? I love crests!

No, I reckon that there'll be loads of colourful ones. Durazno and Chubut didn't have crests.

Zaph wrote: »
    No, I reckon that there'll be loads of colourful ones. Durazno and Chubut didn't have crests.

shoot, I cant remember them all by name.

but Chubut, brrrrrr.

it makes me cold. and I dont like it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Zaph wrote: »
    I missed the result and the ensuing penalty shootout, so just catching up now. Delighted that having missed them I still managed to be involved in the final decision, it truly is a special flag.

Omack, you've outdone yourself with this one, thanks for a truly epic and hugely enjoyable game. And special credit to Kathleen for doing what the rest of us were too lazy to do and actually find out about the flags. :)

Sometimes it's not needed thiugh. Some people it suits to just look st something and say yes or no. I just love that flags have a story to tell. To be honest i didn't see the albatross on the TdF flag. I just saw a white irregular line. But once i read about the albatross and its meaning I was sold. But also reading about the Brazilian flag and realising that the arrangement of stars had meanings on 3 or 4 levels. It really does help me to look at something i have i have seen hundreds of times with a new appreciation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Was it Belém?

thumb2-flag-of-belem-4k-silk-texture-brazilian-city-blue-silk-flag.jpg

Yes it was - feels like a nice bit of art more that a traditional flag, I liked it a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Oh and somewhere down the road we'll be holding the Ultimate Ultimate Battle, where every winner goes into a special tournament.

Have I said too much?!

Marshall Islands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great contest Mack. Massive amount of work involved, thanks for running.

Missed the finale, a worthy winner indeed.

Barna77 wrote: »
    Marshall Islands!!

Absolutely!

Here's all the winners so far and links to the competitions if you wanna have a look back;

Ultimate Battle of World Flags - Marshall Islands
    Ultimate Battle of Canada and the USA - Nunavut
    Ultimate Battle of Western Europe - Canary Islands
    Ultimate Battle of Oceania - Tino Rangatiratana
    Ultimate Battle of Mexico - Guerrero
    Ultimate Battle of South America - Tierra del Fuego

Kolido wrote: »
    Missed the finale, a worthy winner indeed.

Which way would you have went? Would've been a deciding vote actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Which way would you have went? Would've been a deciding vote actually...

I prefer the design on tierre but like the colors more on caraboba. Honestly, I probably would have went caraboba

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I somehow thought the final was Saturday. I would have been unable to choose between the two finalists. A draw seems like a complete validation of these two being the heavyweight contenders and both can consider themselves winners here.

This was the first of these I managed to get any votes in on time but I'll be looking out for the next ones. Great idea and great craic.

Really love doing these and have the next one selected already!

Next three are ready... May, June and July will all see tournament action.

Advertisement