Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spray painting a motorbike tank

Options
  • 05-04-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭

I restored a classic bike over a couple of years and about the last thing to do is a paint work refresh. The are only two painted parts, the tank and the rear fender.

Shape wise both parts are in good nick, no dents, nothing bent. All damage looks to be just paintwork; superficial except for a couple of rust spots on the fender. Prep work will be just getting the old paint off and taking care of the rust spots. Then a bit of filler and sanding. Something I would be able to do myself.

What I dont have is much spray painting experience and spray painting equipment and I want the stuff to look good. I'm thorn between having a go with 2K spray paint cans myself or contacting a local body shop.

Anyone any idea whether you can get good results from DYI and what to look out for?

I wouldnt hesitate going to the body shop but I need a white coat and a clear lacquer coat and in between some decals need to go on the tank. Probably not something most body shop painters would do every day. I was thinking I'd rather do that myself. But then maybe thats bread and butter stuff for body shop guys?

Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Go to the body shop and get a price, these guys are the experts and have the facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Motors DIY doesn't really deal with spray painting motorbike tanks.
    Sent to Motorbikes forum.

Did you look on YT?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's the point of restoring in all yourself and then giving the large parts to someone else. It's doable yes. Can it turn out excellent. Yes of course. Good quality materials. Time and preparation.

I think you'd get more kick of completing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Give it a whack yourself, worst case ya hate it, wasted some time, sand paper and rattle cans and ya end up handing it off.

It's not that hard to get a decent quality paint job diy'ing it with rattle cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I would agree. With proper research, the right materials and good attention to detail you will do a job that you will be proud of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

biko wrote: »
    Motors DIY doesn't really deal with spray painting motorbike tanks.
    Sent to Motorbikes forum.

Did you look on YT?

Thanks for moving the post.
    And thanks for this video. It reminded me that a spray job involves after work. That its not perfect just after drying.

Thanks for all the other comments, too. I think I'll give it a go myself. Worst thing that could happen is I'd have to strip it down again. Maybe ruin a set of decals but unlikely.

Advertisement