Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Casefile

Comments

a case of fatigue on the part of the listeners and the makers coupled with fact that a lot of the more interesting cases have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

glasso wrote: »
    a case of fatigue on the part of the listeners and the makers coupled with fact that a lot of the more interesting cases have been done.

I think that's it really. Casefile was the first true crime pod I listened to. My first case was Port Arthur, my heart was actually racing listening to it. I think 168 cases in I can't be shocked anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I thought it was just myself finding it a bit more boring as of late, glad im not the only one. It was a pretty poor year as a whole last year and i went back through last years episodes for pig iron and i reckon i didnt listen to the half of them. I remember when i first started listening i often wondered how i slept at nighttime while listening to case after case playing catch up, at the time i was also lving in whats best described as a timber tent with no real security not far from where one of the early episodes was based on Tasmanias North West Corner. The German Exorcism one at the start was tough listen too.
    I saw i hadnt listened to the Stony Blair case either during the week due to the warnings, im sorry now i did listen to it that was tough going.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I still greatly enjoy Casefile but the cases they're covering these days definitely aren't as interesting as that middle period. Still one of the best true crime podcasts out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭maebee

I barely knew what a podcast was until I stumbled upon this thread a few months ago. Thanks to the posters on this thread, I've just finished every episode of Casefile and have to say I enjoyed it. As others have said, it was WAY better in the earlier episodes. The ones I liked the most were:

North Hollywood shootout
    Jaycee Lee Dugard
    The Catholic Mafia
    Amok
    Jennifer Pan
    Daniel Morcombe
    Jonestown
    The 2 Alcatraz episodes
    Silk Road

I would rate an episode as very good when I immediately find the need to google after I've listened to it.

• Advertisement

maebee wrote: »
    I barely knew what a podcast was until I stumbled upon this thread a few months ago. Thanks to the posters on this thread, I've just finished every episode of Casefile and have to say I enjoyed it. As others have said, it was WAY better in the earlier episodes. The ones I liked the most were:

North Hollywood shootout
    Jaycee Lee Dugard
    The Catholic Mafia
    Amok
    Jennifer Pan
    Daniel Morcombe
    Jonestown
    The 2 Alcatraz episodes
    Silk Road

I would rate an episode as very good when I immediately find the need to google after I've listened to it.

I would highly recommend two of my favourites, "Belanglo" and the Muswell Hill Murderer. Two absolutely fantastic jobs.

That new one is rough - The Caffey Family. Pretty hard hitting stuff.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That new one is rough - The Caffey Family. Pretty hard hitting stuff.

Grim enough but nothing like the previous ones all the same.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

maebee wrote: »

North Hollywood shootout
    Jaycee Lee Dugard
    The Catholic Mafia
    Amok
    Jennifer Pan
    Daniel Morcombe
    Jonestown
    The 2 Alcatraz episodes
    Silk Road

I would highly recommend two of my favourites, "Belanglo" and the Muswell Hill Murderer. Two absolutely fantastic jobs.

The "East Area Rapist" five part one was gripping and chilling at the same time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Tina Watson was a great tell too, the imagery was so vivid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Peter Nielsen is another great episode.

Anyone else srruggle to listen to last weeks epusode big time or was it just me? Tried seversl times to listen to it but theres just no major appeal to it somehow or another.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Anyone else srruggle to listen to last weeks epusode big time or was it just me? Tried seversl times to listen to it but theres just no major appeal to it somehow or another.

I'm about 4 episodes behind I couldn't get in to the Caffey family episode and stopped about 15 minutes in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah I just gave up cause I was zoning out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Must be getting a small bit tedious for the crewe of the Podcast, must get to a point where it becomes quite mundane for them

siblers wrote: »
    Must be getting a small bit tedious for the crewe of the Podcast, must get to a point where it becomes quite mundane for them

Plenty of Irish cases out there that would be something different for them i.e. the Tipperary love triangle, the leinster missing persons rriangle, west cork, Joe O Reilly among many others.

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think they might need to give in and do some of the bigger/more well known cases. I just think they've run out of unusual and interesting cases.

Another possibility is to pick non-murder cases, I'm sure there are plenty of unique cases out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭maebee

Plenty of Irish cases out there that would be something different for them i.e. the Tipperary love triangle, the leinster missing persons rriangle, west cork, Joe O Reilly among many others.

They have a "Suggest a case" button and I suggested The Scissor Sisters case.

There's an excellent 2 hr case coming up this weekend. An old fashioned episode I suppose you'd call it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Mens Rea has covered all of those. Not the same as Casefile, but the focus on Irish crime is great in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Mens Rea has covered all of those. Not the same as Casefile, but the focus on Irish crime is great in my opinion.

Tried listening to her a few times but couldnt warm to it as i did to casefile

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Tried listening to her a few times but couldnt warm to it as i did to casefile

Yeah i felt the same initially ....but i suggest you give it another few tries. Her voice /tone has changed from in the beginning....just like the Casefile guys has since he began. His voice bothered me the first few cases and then u dont notice it anymore and grow to love it.

Some podcasts have great quality content but are ruined by bad presenters / voices / tone / speed.

Canadian True Crime is pretty good, although the host is a little annoying. They Walk Among Us - excellent also.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    There's an excellent 2 hr case coming up this weekend. An old fashioned episode I suppose you'd call it :)

the big-baller patreons were back for another tease to stir up the plebs who had to wait until Saturday lol.

decent case - a real travesty of justice

not sure what you mean but old-fashioned tho

glasso wrote: »
    the big-baller patreons were back for another tease to stir up the plebs who had to wait until Saturday lol.

decent case - a real travesty of justice

not sure what you mean but old-fashioned tho

By old fashioned I was been sarky. Since the new year I've really enjoyed Casefile.

Husband was a right scumbag, abusing the sisters, suing the other mother for money. Hard know if he did it as how did he get back in time (also why kill himself). If he didn't pull the trigger I do believe he paid someone too. Poor kids :(

Canadian True Crime is pretty good, although the host is a little annoying. They Walk Among Us - excellent also.

Both are great, and some of the episodes of They Walk Among Us are cases I would have been vaguely familiar with as it's UK based.

I love Casefile though. Hard to beat it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57166662

I think the Somerton man was one of the early Casefile episodes, they're digging him up to try figure out who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

awec wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57166662

I think the Somerton man was one of the early Casefile episodes, they're digging him up to try figure out who he was.

My wife mentioned that they're digging up a body in australia to find out what happened. I asked if it was "the Somerton man". She was shocked I knew. Back from a time I knew every casefile episode and details on each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I think Casefile has finally jumped the shark.

Today's case was the most pointless yet. It was only getting started and suddenly it was over and with no real ending.

I had a bike stolen from outside my house in 1993. Never got it back... Casefile are covering it next week.

Advertisement