Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IngazZagni wrote: »
    From that article

Surely that would affect the long term viability of these flights? Or is it a short term issue?

The US booking is only until CAA approve AOC. Should be available by late April at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Usually that’s only a short term measure, something you see when tickets are on sale but there’s still a few things to be signed off, in this case the pending UK AOC is probably the likely cause.

I seriously doubt Aer Lingus would go ahead with this if they’re never allowed carry US originating passengers!

Edit; Jamie2k9 explained it better than I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI UK will be doing a proving flight for the CAA on Monday 29/03.

American Airlines onward connections in the US are now available via Aer Lingus. Looks like just via JFK, LAX for all and MCO for MAN only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    American Airlines onward connections in the US are now available via Aer Lingus. Looks like just via JFK, LAX for all and MCO for MAN only.

So is the Jet Blue/United codeshare gone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I had looked at ticket prices yesterday from MAN and the B6 codeshare was still in place for onward travel from JFK.

The UA codeshare shouldnt be completely incompatible with joining the TATL J/V. A tweak to the website would make the connections with AA to be more prominent. But a condition of joining may be to not renew the UA codehare if it has a timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Jetblue will remain a major partner as long as EI remain in the Jetblue terminal in JFK. That terminal is by far the nicest you will find in the US and Jetblue has probably the best product in Y. Connections with AA at JFK will require a terminal change and the messing with TSA security

You have been able to purchase EI-AA tickets for years via TA's as EI maintained the integration post OW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Well, how long before direct Caribbean flights from Dublin? I dont know why EI hasn't at least done Bermuda before.

All others remain. AA offering is currently very limited.

EI-LRH should arrive in Dublin sometime this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Well, how long before direct Caribbean flights from Dublin? I dont know why EI hasn't at least done Bermuda before.

Too much competition with Virgin or BA out of the UK. Charging a premium for a direct flight will cause some punters to go elsewhere. Its a leisure market.
    Their existing routes to Florida never got to daily flights.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    EI-LRH should arrive in Dublin sometime this afternoon.
    Its a fecking new plane!

Fechin/St. Fechin is the name on LRH. Which is pretty bad.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A9ch%C3%ADn_of_Fore

But I think LRG is worse, Conchubhair/St.Concord!!!

the anglicized version of Conchubhair is Connor. Aer Lingus have used this version before!!!

Running out of Saints at this stage. Be interesting to see whats on the side of G-EIUK when it is revealed in due course

EI has a huge amount of data on historical travel patterns from Dublin via UK with Virgin and BA to know if the numbers are there or not. The US business generates US origin traffic and pre clearance is a unique offering.

Caribbean (and MCO/MIA) are very much one way traffic flows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Stovepipe wrote: »

Or how about one to L................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Or how about one to L................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

careful there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Will be interesting to see if Aer Lingus end up changing terminals at Chicago in order to move to AA's terminal 3, would allow for much easier connections, especially with pre-clearance and better lounge access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Running out of Saints at this stage

I sort of assumed they ran out years ago and just picked random names. Has anyone actually worked out if all the names on Aer Lingus aircraft are actually recognised saints?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Noxegon wrote: »
    I sort of assumed they ran out years ago and just picked random names. Has anyone actually worked out if all the names on Aer Lingus aircraft are actually recognised saints?

Pretty sure they're all recognised saints, there's still a hundred or so to choose from although a couple of the more recent choices or their translations have been questionable.

The four most recent A330s have been named, Sillan, Dallan, Began and MacDara. The only one I didn't recognise was Began which is possibly an alternative name for St Becan.

I also think there's names they don't use again because the aircraft have been involved in fatal crashes; St Phelim, St Kevin etc. although they (mistakenly?) reused St Kevin on EI-CVD, one of the original batch of A320 aircraft.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, Patrick isn't really recognised for starters...

No shortage of “Irish saint” names. The medieval Irish church went it own way from Rome in this regard. A relic of never having been a vassal of the Romans.
    EG. “Carthage” certainly sounds non Irish but is actually well known in county Waterford. Another “Irish saint” not recognised by Rome.
    My hometown also has a local saint who isn’t “official”. Haven’t seen his name on an aircraft yet though!

I’m not at all religious myself but I’ve always loved the use of saints names. While superficially it comes across as religious I like the nod to Irish history.
    EG.The 6 A321 received in 1998/99 were all given Ulster names because of the then ongoing peace process. And the A319s used to start the Belfast operation had “Scottish” sounding names. (Andrew and Moira)

I’ve got a list somewhere that I will dig up. It’s probably tucked into my copy of Flight of the Iolar. Tallying the usage of certain names was a little project I did about 8-10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I'd agree it's a good way to build some brand and recognition. Enthusiasts will always be interested in which ones they've been on or to try complete all of them and for non-enthusiasts it can be a great talking point. The Norwegian Air tail-fin series was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 neutrino

EI-DES is St. Pappin; opposite side of fuselage has the Irish version “Paipan”, which one of their cabin crew enjoyed pointing out, has a different translation in Japan and the Philippines:

http://meaning127.com/en/p/paipan

Just spend an hour going through “Flight of the Iolar”.
    Over 30 names used up to 1985. Another 50 added from then up to the present date.
    I updated my previous list and I count 84 different names used. Unsurprisingly in dear old Ireland the vast majority are male names. Brigid is the standout in this regard. She was all alone until a Viscount was named Dympna.

I could well be a little off. It’s a little hard to keep a solid record as in the 1950-70s an aircraft might be credited with different names as it went off on/came back from foreign leases. So I counted each usage of a name. Also some of the names were used for less than a year on leased in aircraft.
    EG. B747 EI-ASI was Colmcille 71-79, then Patrick 79-94, then Oliver Plunket 94-95 after EI-DUB St.Patrick was delivered.

I’m also missing the names of a few recent aircraft, some of the Aer Arann ATRs and the Cityjet Avros.

Names used on the most aircraft were Patrick (unsurprisingly) and Senan.

Patrick; DC3, L749, L1049, V707, B720, B747, B747, A330, A330.
    Senan; DC3, Viking, Bristol170, Carvair, B707, S360, Saab340, A320, AT72.

Brendan; DC3, L1049, L1049, V707, B720, B734, A320,B757.
    Brigid; DC3, L749, L1049, V707, B720, B707, A330, A320.
    Jarlath; Viking, DC3, V707, Carvair, B732, B735, A320, A319.

Finbar; L749, Bristol170, F27, V803, Bae146, S360, AT72.
    Laurence O’Toole; DC3, V707, B707, B732, B733, A330, A330.
    Flannan; Viking, Bristol170, F27, V803, A330, F50, A320.

Colmcille; DC3, V707, V808, B747, A330, A330.
    Fintan; DC3, L749, F27, V803, F50, AT42.
    Ronan; Viking, Bristol170, DC3, Bac1-11, B735, A330.
    Cillian; DC3, V808, B732, MD-11, A320, A321LR.

Albert; DC3, Carvair, DC3, Carvair, B732, B735, A320.
    Declan, DC3, DC3, Bac1-11, B735, A320.
    Fiachra; F27, V803, B732, Bae146, A321LR.
    Canice; V805, B707, B732, B735, A320.

4 uses; Kieran, Malachy, Mel, Colman, Kevin, Enda, Finian, Eithne, Oliver Plunkett.
    3 uses; Gall, Celsus, Phelim, Fergal, Pappin, Macartan, Ita, Cronan, Ultan, Aoife, Ciara, Maeve, Fergus.

15 names used twice.
    30 names are only used once, all in the last 22 years.

EI-LRE is carrying out Aer Lingus UK's CAA proving flight this morning from MAN.

Callsign EIN1CA

Seems like someone in ops is planing for more than 1 proving flight...

It looks like the full deal as they headed straight out on a track for somewhere in the US and turned back around the oceanic entry point

Does anyone know where the NEO will be based so far when things pick up? I know things can change and theres no definite return date for Travel. Just wondering the Schedule thats planned

Avgeek2101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the NEO will be based so far when things pick up? I know things can change and theres no definite return date for Travel. Just wondering the Schedule thats planned

It's all up in the air.

Assume 2 in Manchester.
    1 in Shannon (assuming alternating JFK/BOS ops) Back to 2 for Summer 2022.
    4/5 in Dublin. EWR. YYZ. IAD. 2nd JFK.the odd LHR? PHL?

BDL as well would share with IAD/PHL

2-3 NEO's would make it out of Dublin for a quick trip to LHR, CDG and somewhere else, probably no further East than DUS or FRA

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

I think the last time I checked BDL/PHL aren’t down for 2021 schedule and the NEO was down as operating YYZ, IAD,EWR, the late JFK and both Boston’s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Tenger wrote: »
    It's all up in the air.

After the last year that can only be a good thing :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Assume there’ll be 10 A333s and 4/5 LRs based in Dublin next year (if the A332s are coke cans), with 1/2 LRs in Shannon, and 2 A333s and 2 LRs in MAN.

There were supposed to be at least 14 A330s in DUB this summer, possibly 15, so there’ll be big rout reductions for sure. MSP and MIA are already gone, but combined they were only due to be 5 & 3 x weekly A332 respectively. That still leaves effectively 3 A330 routes hanging. LRs were doing BDL & PHL, with potentially YUL to be added but I doubt that’ll happen. If LRs take IAD, YYZ and EWR then that covers everything existing if BDL gets dropped. If one of the LRs originally destined for Shannon moves to DUB then BDL can be kept.

Is it confirmed anywhere that all 4 -200s are gone? The lease on GEY at least should still have a few years to run no?

Advertisement