Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Built-in alcove shelving cost

• 06-11-2020 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get some alcove shelving installed, something along the lines of
    https://www.hanksofburton.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/elegant-bespoke-alcove-storage.jpg

I don't really have a reference for what carpentry like this would generally cost. I've got a few quotes from some local suppliers, ranging from €2,500 to €3,000. Is this in the ballpark I should expect or should I keep looking?

Thanks,
    Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

post a picture of the existing, are the walls all solid?
    when you say along the lines of, what exactly do you mean.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Hi Calahonda,

Sure, here's a photo of the room https://photos.app.goo.gl/TJfxN3F5ogPnWv1L7 and some dimensions here https://photos.app.goo.gl/UdKqovnc8yp6WLU26. All walls are solid.

By along the lines of the other photo, I mean very similar with tweaks. e.g.
    - Maybe the shelves spaced a little differently in the right alcove,
    - Logs section switched to right-hand alcove
    - 2nd press in the left alcove instead of logs.
    - And the floating shelves white instead of wood.

Thanks,
    Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Hi Ger,

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Hi Ger,

Where are you located?

I’m in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

gerry87 wrote: »
    Hi Calahonda,

Sure, here's a photo of the room https://photos.app.goo.gl/TJfxN3F5ogPnWv1L7 and some dimensions here https://photos.app.goo.gl/UdKqovnc8yp6WLU26. All walls are solid.

By along the lines of the other photo, I mean very similar with tweaks. e.g.
    - Maybe the shelves spaced a little differently in the right alcove,
    - Logs section switched to right-hand alcove
    - 2nd press in the left alcove instead of logs.
    - And the floating shelves white instead of wood.

Thanks,
    Ger

Hi Ger

May I ask if you got someone for this job?
    I am looking for something similar and I have received just one quotation.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Do these really costs 2.5/3k? Is it it just pieces of wood screwed to the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ebayissues wrote: »
    Is it it just pieces of wood screwed to the wall?

Can't you apply that logic to anything?
    Why is this car so expensive, isn't it just some metal and plastic shaped together, with some glass to see out from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Do these really costs 2.5/3k? Is it it just pieces of wood screwed to the wall?

Have a go at it yourself, one of two things will happen.
    1. You realise around 2.5k is a reasonable enough price to pay someone to supply and fit such furniture
    2. You've missed your true calling in life and should of followed a career in carpentry & joinery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I hired a carpenter to fit MDF units either side of the fireplace alcove in Dublin and the cost was 1600 total including a solid wood floating mantle, so I'd say yes, keep looking. (I then painted the MDF.)

Solid wood is more expensive than MDF of course, but I also had full fitted units with doors and multiple shelves; the design you've shown seems very simple.

The difficulty is demand...I had to wait months for the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭baldshin

Have a go at it yourself, one of two things will happen.
    1. You realise around 2.5k is a reasonable enough price to pay someone to supply and fit such furniture
    2. You've missed your true calling in life and should of followed a career in carpentry & joinery.

This, 100% this. We were looking to get built in shelves and cabinets and decided to give it a go ourselves. Like many people, looked at it and thought it would be pretty straightforward. It's not, and we ran in to tonnes of minor issues, constantly having to run back and forth to the hardware stores.

Has ended up taking way longer than expected, and while I'm very happy with and proud of what we've pulled off so far, despite the many imperfections, it has given me a new perspective on the professionals and why they charge what they do. Even taking away the costs of tools, if you needed to buy them, the costs of the wood, screws, fillers etc add up quickly enough. You'd also need to be pretty good with your planning and with maths, to ensure you get your wood cut right the first time.

If you have the time, patience, and some DIY knowledge with an eagerness to learn, it's a great project. If not, pay for the professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I hired a carpenter to fit MDF units either side of the fireplace alcove in Dublin and the cost was 1600 total including a solid wood floating mantle, so I'd say yes, keep looking. (I then painted the MDF.)

Solid wood is more expensive than MDF of course, but I also had full fitted units with doors and multiple shelves; the design you've shown seems very simple.

The difficulty is demand...I had to wait months for the appointment.

How much time did it take to paint the units

Finally finished ours over the weekend. Picture attached for reference. Cost us about €700 in materials/paints and I'd guestimate it took about 50-60 hours. By no means perfect in person, but happy enough with the final product for the money saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Looks great. I like the Shane O'Malley print too.

What paint did you use?

What paint did you use?

Used Valspar furniture paint. Primed with Rustin's MDF primer and 2 coats of the Valspar.

Nicely done, looks very good.

Advertisement