Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a funeral

• 26-02-2021 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭

Can you fly to the states for a funeral? My mom's aunt isn't doing too good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Nope, the proclamation banning travel is law. There are exceptions for some specific categories but not situations. Plus many states have quarantine anyway so if you fly over you ain’t going anywhere for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

According to US embassy in Ireland:

Q: I am NOT exempt from the travel restrictions in the Presidential Proclamation of January 25, 2021, but I have an emergency need to travel and I have a valid nonimmigrant, immigrant, or fiancé(e) visa or a valid ESTA. Is there anything I can do?

If you are physically present in the Republic of Ireland and do not fall under one of the exceptions to the Presidential Proclamation of January 25, 2021, but you have a valid visa or a valid ESTA and you have a humanitarian need for travel, such as for critical medical treatment, or have another urgent need to travel, send an email to DublinNIE@state.gov.  Please make the subject of your request “National Interest Exception Request: SURNAME, FIRST NAME” and then provide a detailed description of the emergency or urgent need in your message.  Please note a National Interest Exception might also be known as a “212(f) Exception”.  We are unable to answer emails not relating to a request for an exception through this email address.

So it is definitely worth a try sending them email to that email address and see what their reply will be. But do not show up at the airport with a ticket - you won't get on the flight unless you have NIE (you can still buy tickets no problem so I think that confuses a lot of people :( I really hope your mom's aunt will pull through!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭beachhead

I don't the guards view travelling out of the country to a funeral as essential.Whatever Uncle Joe says.Then again,no quarantining on return.

I know someone who got an NIE to travel (healthcare worker moving to a job in the US). It took a while. I also personally think a funeral wouldn’t count.

Plus there is still the quarantine on arrival issue. Getting there in time for a funeral doesn’t really seem an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

go via turkey or mexico

• Advertisement

A two week wait in Turkey or Mexico. Sure the funeral would be over!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Skyknight

It might be possible for someone to live stream the proceedings. Not the most personal I have to admit, but it is the safest.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

A two week wait in Turkey or Mexico. Sure the funeral would be over!

They can keep her on ice, they don't bury them straight away like us

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

I got an NIE back in August last, and while possible, tightly controlled and I would say not advisable.. Worst airport experience bar none and I travel many years with work.. had to run to gate in the end with family in tow.

However before you can even go down the NIE route you'd need a valid VISA / ESTA, and ESTA's are not available right now, and any attempt to travel with proclamation in place would see a valid ETSA cancelled, assuming you are denied entry. Again despite having valid Visa's and NIE it was still touch and go.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

ESTAs are not suspended, you are correct in saying it will be cancelled if you try and travel with one in contravention of the proclamation or without an NIE.

I applied for an ESTA in Nov and travelled on it in Dec with no problem (as the parent of a minor citizen I’m exempt).

• Advertisement
Advertisement