Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Import duty on vintage comic bought from USA???

• 26-01-2021 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, so I’m thinking of buying a vintage comic from 1966 for $6000 dollars in cased in cgc slab and I’m wondering will I get charged import tax or duty when it’s posted to me from America. And if so what’s the percentage?
    Because even if it’s a low percentage it’s still $6000 for this item and that will push it out of my budget

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Yes - you'll have to pay VAT and Customs Duty:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

If it was the before times, it'd be cheaper to fly to the US and pick it up yourself and bring back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LeighHall

Draco wrote: »
    Yes - you'll have to pay VAT and Customs Duty:

If it was the before times, it'd be cheaper to fly to the US and pick it up yourself and bring back.

Ok so i found out that the comic will be ahipped described as books and i also seen somewhere during my research that books have 0% duty on them so does this not mean i wont be charged at customs??? Sorry i just never bought comics outside europe before.
    Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Comics are specifically charged VAT at the second reduce rate (currently 9%):
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-printed-matter-20181012122445.pdf
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/current-vat-rates.aspx

If they don't examine the package and accept it is a book, then they'll put 0% VAT on it.

You'll still have to pay the customs duty (not the same thing as VAT).

Draco wrote: »
    Comics are specifically charged VAT at the second reduce rate (currently 9%):

If they don't examine the package and accept it is a book, then they'll put 0% VAT on it.

You'll still have to pay the customs duty (not the same thing as VAT).

Ok so worst case scenario vat is 9% of the value and then what is the percentage for custom duty?

I need help and confirmation on if and how much extra I’ll be charged on vat and customs duty if I purchase this comic from American auction site.
    The comic itself is expensive so I need to know will I get hit by customs when it’s being delivered.
    The comic is $6000 so how much extra will I be charged if any?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

TBH this seems like the kind of situation where you'd be best to check with an accountant. You'll want insurance on the shipping, which has to be commesurate with the $6K cost and would likely mean your purchase gets treated as a collector's item, not a book or comic.

An accountant will be much better placed to tell you what fees & charges would apply, and what options you have to legally minimise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Out of curiosity what comic is it?

Advertisement