Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is anyone else starting to go f**king insane?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

It’s mad how differently people are coping. Some people are able to find peace and actually enjoy the lockdown. Some people are getting by. And then some people are driven demented with anxiety, loneliness, or in some cases domestic violence or the threat of homelessness. There but for the grace of God go I, my path littered with minor inconveniences.

Take care of yourselves folks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Parsnips wrote: »
    Gates are being locked this year to discourage little hands.
    Well that got me in the feels.

I bloody hate winter anyway, but I'm lucky because I'm still working and get out most days and see and interact with people. I talk with friends on a daily basis. Being in an urban environment helps enormously as it's easy to see life going on even if you never left the house and a lot more compared to the last lockdown(to the point at times of what lockdown). Plus if you do go out and about there's a lot more going on within 5k. I don't know how rural people are coping TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't know how rural people are coping TBH.

Funnily enough I’ve been thinking the exact opposite. I live on a cul de sac lane with several other houses and we’ve all gotten to know each other much better over the course of the year. I’ve much more space in a comfy house than we could ever afford in Dublin. Local village is very agricultural so not a whole lot changed even in first lockdown. Lots of lovely walks nearby too. And I’m able to meet my mum for walks.

I was a lot more down/ anxious before the restrictions came in. I was happy to see them as numbers were going out of control fast.

Anyway we are both still working. I’m in office at least once a week so not much has changed here. Feel for people who are very isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

emo72 wrote: »
    Polishing my glock.

I never heard it called that before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Started a 1000 piece jigsaw and it's surprisingly addictive and rewarding.

This is something I would never have done previously. It passes the time quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Parsnips wrote: »
    Speaking od Netflix.
    Dont watch that new Adam Sandler halloween film on Netflix.
    Worst Ive ever seen of his. Pure ****e
    I love him but this is pure lazyness

Running out of stuff to watch, on the foreign language ones.
    Always a pathetic selection for Ireland with streaming, no wonder people opt for the less than legal option.

RTE never bothered rising to the challenge, calling 5 or 6 year old films network TV premieres, big whoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I just posted the opposite in the other thread.

Always loads to do here either in the garden or on the farm. I’m on WFH but very little happening so I’m free to tip about doing”stuff” and get full pay. Thismorning I’m doing some emails, then it’s grooming the pony and loading to being to the riding school as they are clipping horses today, then daughter has a three day intensive horse riding camp so the pony will stay over for a few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All things that made the city appealing for me are gone, closed or fcuk all craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

People who keep going on about mental health don't seem to know the science behind it. People prone to depression will be suffering but they suffer anyway. A lockdown isn't ideal but neither is normal life. People who are depressed need psychotherapy and help, using the gym or some other coping mechanism is a short-term solution.

But, this lockdown sucks. It's too busy out and about and lacks the serenity of the March/April days. The whole idea of living through a historical moment and the lockdown being part of the ups and downs of human experience has gone. It's just boring now. I'm over it now though; relationship ended and the job market is ****ed, I'm in my 30's and lucky in some ways though so just best to ride it out and hope this 'new normal' eventually comes to an end, but I wouldn't be so sure. I think the freedom of life pre February 2020 will be a long while away, unless more and more numbers start revolting.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Just remember its only temporary. Look after yourself and find joy in the small things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I watch old comedy shows, I listen to podcasts, cycle around to random places,
    Maybe now is the time to read books that u never had time to read.
    Even if it's cold everyone needs
    exercise walking for 30 minutes
    has a positive effect on the mind
    and the body
    You can still go to a park sit on a bench
    It's much tougher now as its cold
    At least the first lock down was in the summer

People who were meeting up or
    Not following social distance
    rules caused this 2nd lockdown

I read news online
    I do not watch TV news it too grim
    At least our government has a rational policy
    towards fighting covid unlike america
    where every state has different rules

I'm fairly introverted and like to spend time alone so I'm not too bothered about the lack of interactions with others. I live with my missus so I do have some company. I love this time of year and I love the long dark nights. Seems to be the opposite for a lot of people.

My family live in another county and I can't see them. That's probably the worst thing for me at the moment.

I love this time of year too and the dark evenings :) I can be introverted as well but I absolutely hate this pandemic and how it has disrupted my life. It's been a struggle. I even get aches in the bottom of my stomach for the way things were.
    God knows I'm trying to be positive and focus on all the ways I'm lucky but it's hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

riclad wrote: »
    I watch old comedy shows, I listen to podcasts, cycle around to random places,
    Maybe now is the time to read books that u never had time to read.
    Even if it's cold everyone needs
    exercise walking for 30 minutes
    has a positive effect on the mind
    and the body
    You can still go to a park sit on a bench
    It's much tougher now as its cold
    At least the first lock down was in the summer

People who were meeting up or
    Not following social distance
    rules caused this 2nd lockdown

I read news online
    I do not watch TV news it too grim
    At least our government has a rational policy
    towards fighting covid unlike america
    where every state has different rule
    s

What are you talking about? Look at the EU and the extremes in our policy towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

its a load of pox this time. there was an excitement or buzz in the air last time. the weather was decent too.

I love training but training outdoors is poxy now compared to the last lockdown.

I'm off for the week and tbh not much to do bar the park/beach and call of duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

I do worry how people would cope with a real emergency in this country and many others tbh. You'd swear we lived in the Gaza Strip the way some are going on about this lightest of lockdowns. The vaccine is a few months away from being safely distributed to every citizen of the state and the people can go back to doing whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I would consider myself to be mentally very strong but its even getting to me now and wearing me down.

My girlfriend has struggled very bad for years with her mental health and she is what seems to be to be in a bit of manic episode pretty much constantly the last few months, its very tough. She has zoom calls with her therapist but its not enough.

Its hard to keep going with no end in sight and nothing to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

For everyone rightly so losing their minds being locked up again, there's absolutely no need for the destruction of our society and sanity. Tell everyone you know.

See attached.

I'm fairly introverted and like to spend time alone so I'm not too bothered about the lack of interactions with others. I live with my missus so I do have some company. I love this time of year and I love the long dark nights. Seems to be the opposite for a lot of people.

My family live in another county and I can't see them. That's probably the worst thing for me at the moment.

Surely you miss romping with your school chums in the fens and spinneys, when the twilight bathed the hedgerows like a lambent flame?

Friends in Melbourne have just emerged after around 100 days of lockdown I’m just hoping we will get out of it after half that time.

I think we will be out of it at the 6 weeks mark to give the economy a pre Christmas boost. The data seems to be going in the right direction.

November can be an indoorsy time anyway most years in the run up to the festive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I'm sort of lucky I suppose as I don't go to pubs or clubs so not really missing out on anything there.

I do most of my shopping online (books, vinyl, ebay etc) so that also hasn't really been affected.
    I've been able to carry on working, so my daily routine is much the same apart from wearing a mask etc.

No staff Christmas party to "look forward" to this year as well, which is a bonus in my book! :D

I actually consider myself to be fairly unattractive (my wife disagrees!) so I'm happy enough wearing a mask as a lot of people seem to have lovely eyes when that's all you can see!

Apart from my immediate family, I don't like greeting/kissing/hugging etc so I'm not feeling any great physical contact loss there, as some people are.

I do miss going to restaurants, gigs and cinema though and not being able to go abroad on a nice Italian city break is disappointing.

I suppose you could say this virus has been easier to deal with for those of an introverted nature?

• Advertisement

kkelly77 wrote: »
    For everyone rightly so losing their minds being locked up again, there's absolutely no need for the destruction of our society and sanity. Tell everyone you know.

See attached.

If we had a decent health system we would not be at this point.

The risk of it being overwhelmed is too high. It is not all about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just remember its only temporary. Look after yourself and find joy in the small things.

But that's just it, there's no end in sight, ive wrote off 2021 as being exactly the same more or less.

If countries sign up to the Great Barrington Declaration approach we might see the light, current way of dealing with this is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

Hi all, personally we don't mind it really. Ok, you don't get to see family as much but working at home full time is brilliant, I see so much more of our toddler than I did for the first months of his life as I was away for days almost every week for work. My wife is still not back to work after maternity leave though which I know makes it easier as we don't have childcare problems. She has been looking to get back working now but the jobs market is a little slow even in her sector which overall isn't being hit hard by covid.

I can understand its a very different experience for those who live in house shares and other situations like that especially those who have lost jobs and so on. Unlike some of the posters who talked earlier in the thread we would not have been introverts and would have gone to restaurants and the pub weekly even after having our child but we appear to have adapted quickly.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think we will be out of it at the 6 weeks mark to give the economy a pre Christmas boost. The data seems to be going in the right direction.

November can be an indoorsy time anyway most years in the run up to the festive season.

And back in to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

And back in to it again.

Possibly.

This will actually depend on how people behave. If people had behaved correctly we could have remained at L3 restrictions and lived away easily.

So when we do get out of the L5 people need to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What I don't miss about this time of year when it is "normal":

1. Going to work in the dark
    2. Going to work in the dark, in the pi**ing rain
    3. Sitting in the office at 4pm looking out at the dark
    4. Standing on a crowded Dart with every second person coughing all over the place
    5. Going home in the dark
    6. Walking into a cold house as the heat hasn't come on

What I like about things now:
    1. Nice basic routine, making breakfast, taking time to make nice coffee, chats at the kitchen table as no one is in a rush
    2. I don't have to leave the warm house
    3. Getting out for a lunchtime walk in the park or on the beach
    4. More time to make a decent dinner rather than rushing in the door and everyone is starving
    5. Going to bed early as there's not much else to do - it's quite nice to chill out with a book and not feel guilty about it

The only thing I do miss now is the gym being closed, going to the cinema, having more options for lunch, and not being able to have friends over for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

for me and alot of my friends its not being able to travel home to see family and friends and being stuck in dublin, would usually head away maybe 1 in every 3 weekends to family, friends and now we are stuck...

My three cents. Out of work again with escalation of restrictions. One blessing in disguise is absence of social drinking - I seldom crack a can at home. The 7.30am run has filled the void to a certain extent, and devised a daily schedule to cut out morose drift. Online learning since September in anticipation of the inevitable helping somewhat. Trying to manufacture something out of adversity, harnassing the free time. Better days lie ahead, want to be primed and ready for future opportunity. Easier said than done, however life is too short to feel sorry for oneself. December isn't far on the horizon, already looking forward to catching up with family & friends.

_Brian wrote: »
    Possibly.

This will actually depend on how people behave. If people had behaved correctly we could have remained at L3 restrictions and lived away easily.

So when we do get out of the L5 people need to behave.

I'm not so sure it's all down to how people "behave". Of course there are things we must do in order to stem the tide of virus but with our society back open then cases will increase.

• Advertisement

Makes no odds to me if I'm ignoring level 3 or level 5 restrictions

Advertisement