Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What way do you like your beans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I never leave the teabag in the cup but I might start. Sounds convenient and makes it stronger.

Soaks up milk and then smells in the bin, best avoided.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Soaks up milk and then smells in the bin, best avoided.

Milk ruins tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In a beef stew. Brilliant for thickening up the overall texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Always cold. Pour them out of the tin onto the plate. I’ve brought my kids up this way too. It’s the only way. My wife can’t understand it.

Years ago, when I was about 10, my folks brought us on a holiday to Achill. We stopped in a cafe for lunch. I ordered sausage, chips and beans but asked for the beans cold. The waitress stopped for a second and said “we don’t have cold beans, but we can let them cool down for you if you want”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Baked beans should be eaten cold straight from the tin once they have had copious amounts of ground black pepper added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Milk ruins tea.

Asia has ruined you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Bachelors, Heinz are too watery.

Heated with black pepper & salt, & mashed.

I'm always so disappointed when I get a tin with hardly any sauce in it.
    Because I mash my beans, if there's not enough sauce, I'll need to add a drop of water to them & that's obviously going to take away from the flavour.

Can't ever order beans in a cafe because they use the spoon that all the sauce draines out of. Its just a big blob of bean. Terrible image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hot, poured across a couple of slices of warm toast, with loads of melted butter and a few splashes of Worcester sauce over them.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Refried, with rice and salsa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I like them where they are, in a tin, in the back of the press and never appearing on a plate belonging to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Tesco Taco Mixed Beans
    Big pinch sea salt
    Squeeze of HP sauce
    2tsp BBQ seasoning

Put in microwave for 3 mins and serve with cous cous or rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'll eat them cold from the tin while pouring them into the saucepan.

And I never leave a tea bag in my cup:) most times I use a teapot;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

I like my beans in a tin, unopened on the shop's shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

(This is something from my childhood that keeps coming up again and again in my therapy sessions.)

When I was a child and my mother would make beans on toast, she would always butter the toast. Every time, I would tell her that I hate butter on my toast when there were beans involved. The sauce that the beans are in is sufficient. Every time, she'd still do it.

"It's less hassle for you if you don't put the butter on the toast, and saves a bit of butter in our poverty-ridden existence! PLEASE, WOMAN, NO BUTTER!!!" sez I.

And still she buttered my toast...

I was the same with the butter as a kid. Strictly beans on raw toast. At some point in adulthood I relented though, and would have butter on it now. However, with jam or marmalade on bread or toast I’m still very strictly no butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

Heated in a pot with sliced/crushed garlic added. Delish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Milk ruins tea.

Tea without milk is like drinking paint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Shot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

gogo wrote: »
    I like them where they are, in a tin, in the back of the press and never appearing on a plate belonging to me

Yea.
    I even hate handling the tins.

Kids like them but I won’t even handle plates afterwards

Beans are the devils puke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

For me i only eat beans with three meals.

1 Cold beans on toast.
    2 Cold beans with chicken and chips.
    3 I'll have hot beans if eating a full Irish in a cafe. And i don't like the beans touching off a fried egg on the plate. The red beans sauce cannot be mixed with egg yolk. Some cafe's have a the beans seperate in a little cup. I like things neat on the plate if possible :)

gogo wrote: »

I’d be like that with Bachelors beans. My mother-in-law gave us two cans a few months ago (she’s the kind of person that considers that an appropriate gift). They’ll never be eaten, even during the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse of 2021. I’ll eat my shoes first.

Heinz beans, in the other hand, belong in my belly. All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I’d be like that with Bachelors beans. My mother-in-law gave us two cans a few months ago (she’s the kind of person that considers that an appropriate gift). They’ll never be eaten, even during the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse of 2021. I’ll eat my shoes first.

Heinz beans, in the other hand, belong in my belly. All of them.

Bachelors are a superior bean to Heinz imo.

Bachelors are a superior bean to Heinz imo.

Well, if you’re ever near my house, I have two cans I can regift.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

If we're talking about tinned baked beans then I often remove the sauce which is very sweet and syrupy and add the beans to Italian style tomato sauce and pasta to make a more substantial meal. It saves me the trouble of preparing and cooking dried beans.

But mostly, I just have baked beans on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really do not get why people do not like cold beans and Heinz are the best but I eat Bachelors too but prefer Heinz. I love them straight out of the fridge nice and cold added to a nice hot dinner. Heating up beans just ruins them and they become horrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

JayZeus wrote: »
    The best way to eat cold beans is straight from the can, while sitting on the couch, drunk, wearing a pair of underpants on your head because you’re really that much of an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Heated, on buttered toast. Have no place in a full Irish breakfast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Heated in a pot and poured over crispy cold buttered toast, greasy spoon style.

Nice with steak also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I cook a load of different types with lentils too in slow cooker. Mutti tomatoes, curry paste, loads of garlic and chilli, delicious and nutritious.

Advertisement