Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4 year old with allergies at night

• 06-09-2020 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We have a 4 year old who frequently wakes at night with a runny nose, red rimmed eyes and cough. He takes a preventative inhaler daily. He had not suffered these symptoms at all during lockdown. He is only a couple of days into school, and these sypmtoms are back. His sleep is really disturbed, and he is very restless at night. Apart from antihistamines, we have not been given a lot of help /advice from the doctor. Just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation, any advice or help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Wearandtear

Ask your doctor to do a blood test which screens for what's causing the allergies. It's the only way to be certain, skin prick tests are not deemed reliable. I had bloods done myself which showed I'm very allergic to both dust mites and cats.

Just speculating here, but as the symptoms are bad at night, there's a good chance it's dust mites, which build up in bedding. For me, I can't have carpet in the bedroom, and wash all clothes and bedding at 60 degrees as any cooler doesn't kill the mites. I also found that going dairy free really reduced my symptoms. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are you now shutting the windows in the bedroom?
    If it was the bedding, strange it only kicked in on return to school.

Suggests there is something in the school or on way to school that could be causing allergic reaction.
    e.g. dust in the school built up when closed up or from building work during the break

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Proper skin prick testing is more sensitive than blood tests - but its expensive to get it done privately. I had mine done by a Malaysian doctor who sits in the Beacon Consultants Clinic:

https://www.beaconhospital.ie/allergies/

From my own experiences in changing to wooden floors, changing pillows every few weeks etc I turned out not to have allergies but chronic low level sinusitis that was more or less resolved (bar flare ups) from a combo of saline water nasal rinsing (Neilmed - you can get it in a chemist - there may be child friendly versions), a steroid nasal spray (similar to an inhaler - Dymista works for me - the doc in the link above was involved in the development of it) and a Dyson Air Purifier in the bedroom - the Dyson made the biggest immediately noticeable difference tbh - again though - expensive.

It turned out I wasnt allergic to anything in my environment. Given that your son is suffering while taking antihistamines, it may be that he doesnt have an allergy issue either.

My own sinus issues (which started in childhood but were largely ignored until my 20s) led to me requiring surgery for nasal polyps which had formed because of the constant inflammation in my sinus cavities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

dont eat near bedtime.
    buteyko breathing technique. breath through the nose.

Advertisement