Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

sherology wrote: »
    The HSE has indeed sourced PPE from there so perhaps EI has won the delivery contract.

Peking PPE flights running until June 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

sherology wrote: »
    The HSE has indeed sourced PPE from there so perhaps EI has won the delivery contract.

At least they can stopover there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Elaine762

Kcormahs wrote: »

It doesn't mean nationalising though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

joeysoap wrote: »
    At least they can stopover there.

I'm guessing a similar operation would be preferable to EI. Flight time isn't too dissimilar to PEK. (very roughly looks to be about 1000km beyond Beijing)

Tenger wrote: »
    I'm guessing a similar operation would be preferable to EI. Flight time isn't too dissimilar to PEK. (very roughly looks to be about 1000km beyond Beijing)

360nm-666km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm guessing this would only be an option if Aer Lingus went asking for state support. It wouldn't go down well with IAG, after all, the Spanish government has already agreed a loan for Iberia without even considering taking a stake in the airline.

Would be short sighted and more trouble than it's worth for the government in my opinion.

Yes, I agree on that. But as a last resort...

And you can bet the EU will have something to say.

But if it's good enough for France they should be told to take a hike. The French have smashed every EU rule on state support across a range of industries in recent weeks.

I don't think it will be needed though, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Yes, I agree on that. But as a last resort...

And you can bet the EU will have something to say.

But if it's good enough for France they should be told to take a hike. The French have smashed every EU rule on state support across a range of industries in recent weeks.

I don't think it will be needed though, hopefully.

Hopefully to save jobs as hundreds to be made redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-EIN on its first revenue flight today, operating EI123 to Chicago. Presumably giving 'EIM a rest which has been alternating between ORD and JFK since its arrival into the fleet.

360nm-666km

Pro Tip;
    Don't use nail of little finger as a measure of scale while using Google maps on the bus to work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

I saw a pic somewhere of the ex Qatar A332 with its Irish reg (EI-EIK) applied, does that suggest EI are taking it or does it mean nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

EI-LRD parked at Dublin sans a sharklet.
    49902565532_90b6565099_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EchoIndia wrote: »
    EI-LRD parked at Dublin sans a sharklet.
    49902565532_90b6565099_b.jpg

Any reason as to why they have been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Only one has - some vibration issues, apparently.

john boye wrote: »
    I saw a pic somewhere of the ex Qatar A332 with its Irish reg (EI-EIK) applied, does that suggest EI are taking it or does it mean nothing?

I saw it parked in mid-March with A7-AEH still applied.

Saw this posted elsewhere, I checked and its on the EI website now;
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/?rrid=4364421&rmid=20200515_Face_Covering_Notification_Pre&utm_source=general_offers&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200515_Face_Covering_Notification_Pre&utm_term=all&mi_ecmp=20200515_Face_Covering_Notification_Pre

Face coverings required on board
    Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our customers and our staff is our number one priority.

From Monday 18 May all customers flying with us will be requested to use a mask or suitable face covering from the point of boarding the aircraft until they are inside the destination airport. This will be a mandatory requirement from Thursday 21st May. This is a temporary measure to enable us collectively play our part in keeping everyone safe on board.

We recommend that customers bring sufficient face coverings for the duration of their journey. Face coverings can be reusable cloth masks or disposable masks. Wearing of face coverings is mandatory while boarding and for the duration of the flight. Customers who are unable to keep a face covering in place, including children, are exempt from the mandatory application of the policy.

We recommend that customers consider wearing a face covering from the time of entry into the departure airport.
    Our cabin crew will also be wearing suitable face coverings during flight.

The wearing of a face covering will be mandatory until August 31, 2020.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Peking shuttle, there's 6 330's in the air at the moment, 4 inbound, 2 outbound. Mind boggling to think how much PPE is being used at the moment, as there are other carriers also bringing items in from China and other places.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI past the 100 round trip marker over the weekend.

1300+ tons so far moved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

EI past the 100 round trip marker over the weekend.

1300+ tons so far moved
    13,000 kgs per FLIGHT? This is insane, how can this be considered cost effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

smurfjed wrote: »
    13,000 kgs per FLIGHT? This is insane, how can this be considered cost effective?

Is the PPE bulky rather than heavy? Are there any freighters available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

It remains to be seen what the cost will be.

IAG have the taxpayer bent over the barrel.

You can be sure they are being paid handsomely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A330-300 passenger could lift 45 tons if you could fit it in the hold, the limiting factor is volume not weight. A330-300 has a pretty decent underfloor cargo capacity compared to other jets.

EI has a fleet and crew available to go when needed and can scale up and down the operation more or less same day. The rumor was 250-300k per trip. The lease on a new A330 is close to a million a month...

There just isn't a large number of cargo hulls out there. All the major carriers are running freight ops with passenger aircraft. Since it looks like -LAX will never fly again with passengers, rip out the seats and come up with a solution to pack in light cargo?

The next gig, the HSE has ordered face masks from South Korea? Will EI be sent to ICN to collect, its only 500km further than PEK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Negative_G wrote: »

I think you'll find COVID19 has the whole feckin world over a barrel. IAG are doing the flights at cost.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Yes, it's bulk rather than weight, they are packing boxes into the cabin on the seats as well to maximise the quantity being shipped on each flight.

I just wish Simon Harris would introduce massive fines for the morons that are dumping used masks and gloves all over the place, it's not hard to take it home and dispose of it properly.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I think you'll find COVID19 has the whole feckin world over a barrel. IAG are doing the flights at cost.

Has this been published anywhere officially?

I know Harris was asked at a press briefing or in the Dail some weeks ago but was unable to answer.

Companies are in the business of making money. I'd be very skeptical of any claims to be doing this operation at cost.

It's a big PR win for IAG anyway regardless even if the initial media fawning was a little OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭NH2013

You’ll probably also find COVID-19 has IAG bent over the barrel, may as well use money to keep an Irish company going rather than pay a foreign airline to do the work and then end up spending the money anyways to bail out Aer Lingus 6 months down the road. This way the money is actually put to good use and keeps the jobs and taxes in the country.

Im pretty sure that EI are making some revenue on this, even if it is less than there would on "normal" flights. They arent a charity, even with the kudos they have received. Those pilots and engineers need to be paid and fuel covered.

But the supplies being brought in are bulky rather than heavy. (Imagine a cardboard box with 1000 masks) From looking at the couple of videos about the operation you can see the staff throwing boxes around with very little discernable effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This is one of the problems of using statistics, if they said xxx,xxx masks etc per flight it mightn’t sound so bad :)

NH2013 wrote: »
    You’ll probably also find COVID-19 has IAG bent over the barrel, may as well use money to keep an Irish company going rather than pay a foreign airline to do the work and then end up spending the money anyways to bail out Aer Lingus 6 months down the road. This way the money is actually put to good use and keeps the jobs and taxes in the country.

I don't wish to get into semantics but just in the interest of clarity, Aer Lingus is no longer an "irish company" and is fully owned by IAG.

As for any potential bailout, that's for IAG to be concerned about. Not sure how legal or practical it would be to provide state aid to a specific part of a privately owned commercial business but who knows. These are not ordinary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don't wish to get into semantics but just in the interest of clarity, Aer Lingus is no longer an "irish company" and is fully owned by IAG.

As for any potential bailout, that's for IAG to be concerned about. Not sure how legal or practical it would be to provide state aid to a specific part of a privately owned commercial business but who knows. These are not ordinary times.

Well for someone trying to be clear, you’re not doing a good job.

Last time I checked, it may be owned by IAG, but Aer Lingus is still an Irish registered company with its management based in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well for someone trying to be clear, you’re not doing a good job.

Last time I checked, it may be owned by IAG, but Aer Lingus is still an Irish registered company with its management based in Dublin.

The arm of the company I work for is registered in Dublin too and the management is based in Ireland but is 100% an American company. Companies are registered in Ireland for tax reasons.
    EI is 100% owned by a foreign company, so is no longer an Irish company.

Advertisement