Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Lidl Silvercrest 32" "full HD" Thursday 2nd December 2010

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101202.p.32inch_FullHD_LCD_TV_with_MPEG4_Tuner

Has MHEG5 http://www.saortv.info/about/mheg5/

First ever compatible TV sold by Aldi or Lidl.

It will work also with N.I., Wales and IOM freeview if you are near enough, but not with "Freeview HD".

It's possibly a Vestel, same manufacturer as makes Walker TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

We have a Samsung LE40B551 it displays both SD and HD broadcasts does not seem to support MHEG-5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭championc

Hey Doctor_L, what about the MHEG-5 ? Please check for ref for other potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I have a Samsung t.v with U.K freeview built in, I bought a cam thingy (don't know the actual name of it) from ebay, it slots into the side of the tv and converts the mpeg 4 to mpeg 2 so good sound, picture and the text works too.

See will they take it back
    1) It's not compatible. It will stop working
    2) Quality of image is poor compared to real tuner ( I have done side by side comparison)
    3) It may damage TV as they run VERY hot
    4) It can't ever do HD. In months there may be only HD transmissions of RTE2, though most upscalled.

see http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/saorview-reception/

No-one should buy these CAMs. Total waste of money. The Manufacturer (Neotion) has admitted they are not suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

Sony KDL 40EX401 working perfectly with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Sony KDL 40EX403 works perfectly. Teletext also works!!! Set to Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Phillips "5000" series tellys may require a firmware upgrade.

They may also require that you know and input the Frequency of your local transmitter (not the Channel Number). Channel numbers versus frequencies are in this table , use the lower or upper ones for your local UHF channel which is normally a number between 20 and 60
    A Boards user describes how to get Phillips Firmware here.

These are bit confusing and some don't apply here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_channel_frequencies#UHF

So go bottom page here http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites
    It has both the DTT frequency and old Analogue frequency below the DTT TX list
    The DTT frequency is normally the one to enter.
    e.g. Ch 47 (woodcock) is 682MHz or 682000 on some tuners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bone Idol

No problem. All the DVB TV and Radio stations courtesy of a little DVB aerial. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Philips 37PFL8694H/12 has MPEG4 so all channels OK, also MHEG5 works great when the country is set to UK.

Bone Idol wrote: »
    No problem. All the DVB TV and Radio stations courtesy of a little DVB aerial. :-)

Sorry... Please don't re-enforce myths. There is NO SUCH thing as a DVB, DTT or Digital Aerial. Just aerials.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

My LG 26LD350 is working fine with MHEG5.

+1 - Have this TV, HD broadcast on RTE Two tonight working well, MPEG4 and MHEG5 all working well - Great TV!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

watty wrote: »
    It's possibly a Vestel, same manufacturer as makes Walker TVs.

Confirmed, I was in Lidl today, and it says Vestel GmbH in small print on the side of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

My SONY

KDL-40W5740
    is also SAORVIEW compatible.

MHEG-5 OK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heres my experience with the following tvs.

Sony 32EX403 has Irish Digital and the new teletext. However sometimes I do notice the old teletext appears on the odd occassion.
    Now and Next epg information working fine and shows 7 day epg but no information for programmes after now and next ,just says event information invalid. Must be some sort of fault on the tv.
    Sony 40EX503 Has Irish Digital and the new teletext.
    Sony 40EX401 Has Irish Digital and the new teletext.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

philips 40pfl8664 works. I have to check the epg though as I need to set it to UK apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I see the Samsung LE32C530 is on the list.

Does anyone know if Saorview works on LE32B530?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

astrofluff wrote: »
    +1 - Have this TV, HD broadcast on RTE Two tonight working well, MPEG4 and MHEG5 all working well - Great TV!

is there a difference between UK and European LG models. Saw this one on pixmania.ie and noticed the freeview (but not freeview hd, even though they say it is). The same model is mentioned on LG's .ie site.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4968063/art/lg/32ld350-lcd-television.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amygdala

I have just been told by the powercity.ie helpdesk that the Samsung LE32C450 does not have MHEG-5 and therefore only has analogue Aertel. It's marked as MHEG-5 OK at the top of this thread. Anyone who owns this TV able to clarify? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Look back through the thread and PM the person who posted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

just to add i have a samsung LE32C530 and it works brilliant for both saorview and mheg 5 interactive text. sets up perfectly with ireland in setup. full 7 day guide also and great pic quality. i see it is already on list but just to add is excellent tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ubeonek

Thanks for all the info re tvs , what would be great is some info as to where it can be got and what kind of box will solve all the problem for those of us who have the wrong telly thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

surf board wrote: »
    Firmware upgrade wont work. Its an Mpeg2 set. The LExxBxxx & LExxCxxxx sets will work for Saorview (with country set to uk for mheg-5).

ive got a le46c750 and everything works when ireland is selected as origin of the tv set

even mheg5 teletext works on rte1

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

I have an LG 22LE3300 that works and also MHEG-5

RTE2 HD no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

BArra wrote: »
    ive got a le46c750 and everything works when ireland is selected as origin of the tv set

even mheg5 teletext works on rte1

The LExxBxxx will have to be set to UK for Mheg-5 to work. If its not a big deal for users, keep setting as Ireland to have the channels starting from 1 upwards. Having it at UK setting will have channels in the 800's. RTE 2 HD works fine on this.

Panasonic TX-LxxG20B or the TX-PxxG20B (L=LCD, P=Plasma). Has BOTH Freeview HD and Freesat HD Tuners onboard so gives best of all possibilities - obviously with a slight premium pricewise when compared to a single tuner model of the same size and type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

Sony 40BX400
    MHEG5 - OK
    3e and RTE2 HD - OK

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Please only use this thread to post details of Saorview compatible TVs *ONLY*.

I have opened a new thread for users to ask questions about TVs mentioned here.

I'll delete any further questions in this thread...

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Sorry, newbee, understand.

Advertisement