Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair - are they pulling a fast one?

• 05-10-2020 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Original flight time 12.00
    New flight time 14.25

So they've delayed it by 2.25 hours BUT on looking the flight number has also changed

Does this constitute a cancellation of my original flight, even though they are not mentioning the cancelled word?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

What they likely did is what they did recently on my flight back from Bratislava: they cancelled one of two flights and moved all passengers to the other flight.
    It is possible, as was with my flight, that it will now be overbooked. For my flight dozens of people were left stranded.

If this is what happened, they will prioritise the people who already checked in before the 48 hour free check in (i.e. people who paid for their seat) for both flights. If you have not already done so, I would greatly recommend purchasing a seat and check in so you have your boarding pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

bigar wrote: »
    What they likely did is what they did recently on my flight back from Bratislava: they cancelled one of two flights and moved all passengers to the other flight.
    It is possible, as was with my flight, that it will now be overbooked. For my flight dozens of people were left stranded.

If this is what happened, they will prioritise the people who already checked in before the 48 hour free check in (i.e. people who paid for their seat) for both flights. If you have not already done so, I would greatly recommend purchasing a seat and check in so you have your boarding pass.

Flight date not for a few months

I gather it's a cancelled flight and have moved the booking to the second flight and therefore I should be entitled to a full refund. Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Tick the boxes: (a): are you surprised? (b): how can they tell?
    (c): see a above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

vicwatson wrote: »
    Original flight time 12.00
    New flight time 14.25

So they've delayed it by 2.25 hours BUT on looking the flight number has also changed

Does this constitute a cancellation of my original flight, even though they are not mentioning the cancelled word?

What’s the chances that the actual flight departure time is different again and if they told you the true time then they would have to refund you as it’s over the time limit of three hours???

What’s the chances that the actual flight departure time is different again and if they told you the true time then they would have to refund you as it’s over the time limit of three hours???

Over 2 hours is refund territory, but they tell you 3. It’s 2 hours in their t and c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Over 2 hours is refund territory, but they tell you 3. It’s 2 hours in their t and c

2 to 3 hours is meal vouchers/refreshment/phone call/internet access etc time, over 3 hours is refund time if they can’t get you to your original destination within 5 hours of your original arrival time.

billie1b wrote: »
    2 to 3 hours is meal vouchers/refreshment/phone call/internet access etc time, over 3 hours is refund time if they can’t get you to your original destination within 5 hours of your original arrival time.

I’m referring to situation where they delay your flight in advance like in my OP but I’m thinking they’ve infact cancelled the flight and moved the booking to a new flight 2.25 hours later.

My original questions still stands - “Does this constitute a cancellation of my original flight, even though they are not mentioning the “cancelled” word?”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I am shocked Ryanair would pull a fast one

I gather it's a cancelled flight and have moved the booking to the second flight and therefore I should be entitled to a full refund. Am I correct?

No. The flight number and plane is irrelevant.

You booked to travel from A to B at a certain time. They are still facilitating that booking within the time limit.

No. The flight number and plane is irrelevant.

You booked to travel from A to B at a certain time. They are still facilitating that booking within the time limit.

They aren’t though

If they haven’t cancelled the original flight by changing the flight number they are still in breach of their own terms and conditions on delays, which is 2 hours not 3.

• Advertisement

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Tick the boxes: (a): are you surprised? (b): how can they tell?
    (c): see a above.

No, im not surprised, but wondering can you answer my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

I’m referring to situation where they delay your flight in advance like in my OP but I’m thinking they’ve infact cancelled the flight and moved the booking to a new flight 2.25 hours later.

My original questions still stands - “Does this constitute a cancellation of my original flight, even though they are not mentioning the “cancelled” word?”

No unfortunately it doesn’t as it will get you to your destination within 5 hours of your original arrival time, your flight number is irrelevant, they can change for numerous reasons, even for normal flights, unless you receive an e-mail stating that your flight is ‘cancelled’ it’s only a time change, which is also in their terms and conditions to suit their scheduling.

No unfortunately it doesn’t as it will get you to your destination within 5 hours of your original arrival time, your flight number is irrelevant, they can change for numerous reasons, even for normal flights, unless you receive an e-mail stating that your flight is ‘cancelled’ it’s only a time change, which is also in their terms and conditions to suit their scheduling.

Thanks for reply, but a delay according to their own T&C's is more than 2 hours, yet they are spouting 3 hours for a refund from every one of their sources. Will talk to Flight Rights and see what they say.

Thanks for reply, but a delay according to their own T&C's is more than 2 hours, yet they are spouting 3 hours for a refund from every one of their sources. Will talk to Flight Rights and see what they say.

They aren’t though

If they haven’t cancelled the original flight by changing the flight number they are still in breach of their own terms and conditions on delays, which is 2 hours not 3.

You are incorrect. The terms and conditions do not state this anywhere.

They do specifically state they can do it though:

"9.1.1 When we accept your booking, the scheduled flight timings and flight numbers in force at the time will be shown in your booking confirmation or itinerary. The flight timings and flight numbers shown in your booking confirmation or itinerary may change before scheduled departure."

and here they specifically state its 2 hours before you are entitled to compensation but not a mention of a right to a refund:

"9.2.2 If your flight is cancelled or delayed by two hours or more, we will give you information on your rights, including your rights to compensation and assistance."

They then have a link that brings you to This, which states very specifically that they will only refund where theres an overall delay of 5 hours and includes a minimum notice period of 2 weeks and a whole range or other restrictions.

So please, provide some proof of your claim because afterall, you sought our input

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

All this talk of 261 Compo is a red herring.

OP, you said the flight is months away. That ends any compo talk.

If you’re not happy with that time change, you’ve a right to refund. That’s all.

It’s only when you get within 2 weeks of departure 261 comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

and doesn't apply when they give proper advance notice, so the clock is ticking from new scheduled departure time. OP says the flight is months away

You can be sure its in their T&C's

Here is all the gen.

https://www.google.fi/amp/s/europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/indexamp_en.htm

Scroll down about 40% of the way. Look for Cancellation - Compensation and then the bit in bold about 14 days.

If that 2:25 delay isn’t suitable you’re entitled to a no quibble refund.

3xh wrote: »
    All this talk of 261 Compo is a red herring.

OP, you said the flight is months away. That ends any compo talk.

If you’re not happy with that time change, you’ve a right to refund. That’s all.

It’s only when you get within 2 weeks of departure 261 comes into play.

Not looking for “compo” looking for a refund only, thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

They have given you "months" notice as you say.No compo is due.If,they cancel or delay on the day of flight or 24 hrs before you would have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

They have given you "months" notice as you say.If,they cancel or delay on the day of flight or 24 hrs before you would have a case.You can ask for a refund and get charged a fee then fork out for the 2nd flight.

• Advertisement

beachhead wrote: »
    They have given you "months" notice as you say.No compo is due.If,they cancel or delay on the day of flight or 24 hrs before you would have a case.

Where did I say I was looking for compo? I only want a refund

I only want a refund

Fill in this page and see if you can get one. You then know straight away.

Fill in this page and see if you can get one. You then know straight away.

No, you don’t, as it’s set to only allow a refund in the circumstances of a delay of 3 hours and above and not 2 as per their own T&C’s

Vic, were you informed by email? If so, I’d say there was a link somewhere to take you down the course of saying ‘no, I do not agree to this change in contract’ and from there you should be able to sort your refund.

If there is no email link, I guess phoning their customer support is the only option.

Either way, don’t delay. There could be a time limit from them informing you to you saying no before the new flight becomes the new contract between you and them.

You seem to be confusing a Schedule Change, which is the case here with a delay occurring when the scheduled flight is delayed.

The two hours you mention only applies in the latter. With a schedule change the T&C mentions the following:

• we make a significant change to the scheduled departure time;
    • this is unacceptable to you; and
    • we cannot book you on an alternative flight which is acceptable to you;
    You will be entitled to a full refund of all amounts you have paid in connection with that flight.

For the first, significant seems to mean 3 hours or more for Ryanair so your argument does not apply.

The second and third could apply to you, however, so the only way for you to receive a refund is to contact Ryanair. Tell them the change is unacceptable and you should receive your refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

You seem to be confusing a Schedule Change, which is the case here with a delay occurring when the scheduled flight is delayed.

The two hours you mention only applies in the latter. With a schedule change the T&C mentions the following:

You will be entitled to a full refund of all amounts you have paid in connection with that flight.

For the first, significant seems to mean 3 hours or more for Ryanair so your argument does not apply.

The second and third could apply to you, however, so the only way for you to receive a refund is to contact Ryanair. Tell them the change is unacceptable and you should receive your refund.

This!

It happened to me - a flight meant to be 7.35am, moved to 9.50am.

5 weeks notice, I had the chance to cancel or carry on - obviously carry on.

I don’t get the indignation and request for meal vouchers and compensation and “they’ll leave dozens behind on the tarmac”.

Sometimes admin is just admin.

No, you don’t, as it’s set to only allow a refund in the circumstances of a delay of 3 hours and above and not 2 as per their own T&C’s

Now this is bloody annoying OP, very bloody annoying.

I quoted you the terms and conditions, I bolded the words that applied direct from their own website. I took the time to do that for you and you have seen to ignore that because you dont want to be corrected

You are wrong and clearly just engaging in a bit of trolling at this stage. If not, please point out where in their conditions it states a refund for 2 hours

Perfect, thanks for your assistance.

Advertisement