Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Its unbelievable how much litter on irish roadsides. Why isnt there a massive national continuous advertising campaign to make this behaviour socially unacceptable to all. Its embarrassing to see how little respect people have for the country.
    A Latvian colleague I was talking to about it couldn't understand why we rubbish our own environment. One interesting thing he said, I cant confirm if it's fact, was anybody on the dole in Latvia is allocated a small section of street or roadway local to their home to maintain clean of litter. If they dont keep it clean , no dole. I'm sure it wouldn't work here but it is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Given the general lack of shíts they give about responsibility regarding the virus why should they have any for environment/littering? Its the selfishness mixed with the stupidity. The "me" generation who just want their fun and thats all that matters.

Consequences and responsibility simply have far too many letters for them to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dock the "parents" dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Little unfair to say the human race is dirty and filthy.

I've yet to see a squirrel or rabbit fücking its half eaten packet of Doritos out the window of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I manage the maintenance of a number of public green spaces.
    Workers have been off and we’re just starting back in stages.

It was expected but my god some of the general public are a dirty shower of cnuts.

We’re in a constant battle against littering and fly tipping and it’s disheartening work.

One site has had a number of recycled plastic picnic benches destroyed by burning on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Elmo wrote: »
    Also in relation to the word thrashing I think it is used correctly in the title.

The little ****ers thrashed the place and you’d think they could find a ****ing trash can!

Yes that's what i meant. Like you would thrash a hotel room. I wasn't thinking of the word in a trash can sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This happens every time the weather improves in Ireland .
    You wouldn't see this in the likes of Sweden / Denmark / Norway / Germany ...

Paddy is too lazy. Claims to love his country but leaves his shyte strewn around the countryside after him.
    Arragh shur lookit I pays me taxes and de council will pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This is what unlimited dole does to a society.

This happens every time the weather improves in Ireland .
    You wouldn't see this in the likes of Sweden / Denmark / Norway / Germany ...
    To many people living here have no respect for our stunning country .
    These people will never change ....
    The only thing they understand is fines .
    That would mean providing proper security at these parks / beaches ...that costs money .
    The councils are also to blame ... Not providing enough bins at these places .
    In a lot of cases these bins are to small and remain full over a weekend before been emptied on a Monday .

Unfortunately we just aren't as civilised as those Scandinavian countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pkiernan wrote: »

Not really. Filthy bastards come in all guises, not just people on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Paddy is too lazy. Claims to love his country but leaves his shyte strewn around the countryside after him.
    Arragh shur lookit I pays me taxes and de council will pick it up.

And probably blames travellers when they litter but dont see an issue when they do it because "taxpayer"

Its stupidity and selfishness.

So like, really there's no hope for us is there? It's just going to get worse and worse. I really think the Taoiseach should be coming out and making a statement on this. Something needs to happen. It was just so bad in the park this morning, and I believe it's the same all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a big part of the irish psyche is getting away with it, ah sure its grand, a half assed job.

See most of the homes built in the last 20 years - shoddy workmanship galore.

look at the courts - filled with people with 50+ convictions and people suing the arse out of businesses because they fell off a swing. We don't do personal responsibility.

look at politics - when was the last time an Irish public representative fell on their sword after some scandal instead of brazenly holding on by their finger nails - deny, deflect, distract. Again the instinct is to get away with it - no honour amongst thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

Car99 wrote: »
    One interesting thing he said, I cant confirm if it's fact, was anybody on the dole in Latvia is allocated a small section of street or roadway local to their home to maintain clean of litter.
    very likely true. im neighbors with Latvia, so the system is probably similar regarding the dole.To receive the dole you need to work for period of time, and if you cannot get the job yourself, the goverment will employ you and you will be cleaning around the place and doing other ****ty jobs nobody else wants to do.
    Another thing is there is no widespread takeaway culture that contributes to rubbish along the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

Dock the "parents" dole.

You seem intent on turning this into a dole bashing thread, littering is a problem that goes beyond people on social welfare I'm afraid.

SteM wrote: »
    You seem intent on turning this into a dole bashing thread, littering is a problem that goes beyond people on social welfare I'm afraid.

Yes it totally does. Even my own friends in the last few years have walked off and left rubbish in places we've been, and I'd always make them pick it up and take it with them. Some people just don't even recognise that this is a problem, they are just blind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Maybe it's due to lack/ decline of community ownership. We've a new local community park that's getting heavy use these days, no bins on site, not one bit of litter left around.
    Fair dues to the teenagers of today.

It’s time to get litter wardens in every beauty spot. Give them the powers to photograph people walking away from rubbish and again as they leave in their vehicles. Owner of the vehicle to be fined and points on driving license. Just some ideas to be bandied about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bags of dogs hit annoy me the most. Better just to leave the crap on the ground than bag it first

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Noticed on our beach that its mostly the groups of teenagers/early 20s that leave behind plastic bottles,cans,glass bottles on the beach for somebody else to pick up.

This is the same generation who 6 months ago were protesting about climate change.

• Advertisement

It’s time to get litter wardens in every beauty spot. Give them the powers to photograph people walking away from rubbish and again as they leave in their vehicles. Owner of the vehicle to be fined and points on driving license. Just some ideas to be bandied about.

I took photographs of two groups littering.
    Brought it to the litter warden in the council.

I had to make calll after call and push hard for two €80 fines to be issued. It took six months and I had to sign a statement and an assurance I would go to court as a witness.

We need to make prosecution much much easier.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Bags of dogs hit annoy me the most. Better just to leave the crap on the ground than bag it first

I see people on our woodland walk bagging it and hanging it on tree branches, must be the dog**** fairies who come during the night and gather then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

BPKS wrote: »
    Noticed on our beach that its mostly the groups of teenagers/early 20s that leave behind plastic bottles,cans,glass bottles on the beach for somebody else to pick up.

This is the same generation who 6 months ago were protesting about climate change.

So everyone in a particular generation behave the same way. Plenty of teenagers respect the environment and don't litter, and unfortunately plenty do. Bit like the adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They don't connect their own personal actions to that of the gubbermint and "big business". It's always someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Some people just don't even recognise that this is a problem, they are just blind to it.

Not so sure.

People (generally...) manage to keep where they live, their gardens etc reasonably tidy. They know they'd have to look at and smell all that disgusting shíte day after day if they left it strewn all over their own garden after a party or barbeque until they personally go and throw it out.

In a park (esp. not one local to them) they can just go away after + leave it all & forget about it. It's great - don't even have to pay to dispose of it! It's just laziness combined with the usual Irish contempt for following any petty/minor rule if there is no enforcement there and a personal upside to breaking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

We now live in the new ireland of The me me me philosophy, no regard for their neighbours or the community . Soft on all crime , judges , politicians etc etc
    Do what you want , nothing will happen you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

LillySV wrote: »
    You will find that the same millennials who preach online about global warming and how the cars are polluting the world are the same ones doing this...

I've seen this posted a few times in just this thread and I don't fully buy it. Of course there are hypocrites at all levels but not all teenagers are the same. It's possible that the teenagers who are concerned about the planet and are good kids in general, are not the same group of kids that are wrecking the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

514801.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

The beaches on the continent have extra large bins .
    One bin is for glass ..one for paper .. One for other rubbish .
    WHAT HAVE WE GOT IN IRELAND ???
    Maybe a couple of small bins as a token gesture .
    On a bank holiday weekend these bins may not be emptied until the Tuesday of following week .
    I personally bring my own rubbish home but there's a large amount of Irish that have no pride in their own appearance nevermind public property .

• Advertisement

Same generation but not the same people - teenagers have come to beach cleanups I've been at here in Dublin.

Advertisement