Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Short term memory loss?

It was you who brought it up again in post #175 :D

Not sure how to link, but it's only eight posts previous ....

Let's move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Not sure how to link, but it's only ten posts previous ....

Let's move on.

In future just click on the wee #175 in the top right corner and then post that link.

Or press reply on that post and copy the whole of that text into the reply. It's just courtesy.

I went back on full site.

---

I highlighted how everyone is an Irish citizen. You then went down a road about Arlene Foster.

That was the frippery.

In future just click on the wee #175 in the top right corner and then post that link.

Or press reply on that post and copy the whole of that text into the reply. It's just courtesy.

I went back on full site.

I highlighted how everyone is an Irish citizen. You then went down a road about Arlene Foster.

That was the frippery.

Oh for goodness sake, would you forever just get over it (and get on with it) and stop your frippery.

Let's move on ...

Oh for goodness sake, would you forever just get over it (and get on with it) and stop your frippery.

Let's move on ...

You get awful testy when you can't engage in your airy fairy nonsense and are challenged.

It's a very thin facade.

• Advertisement

Do you blame me?

I posted this, thinking it was very tame and thoughtful, and now you keep posting crap about frippery, of course I'm getting fed up.
    What will change after Covid has gone?
    Nothing & everything.

What will change after Brexit kicks in?
    Nothing, & everything.

Nothing will change in a "united" Ireland?
    Nothing, & everything.

If a UI ever happens, GB will carry-on as before but without haemorraging money on an annual basis for the upkeep of Northern Ireland (happy days for GB Treasury), with more money in the pot for all GB citizens on the island of Great Britain.
    NI citizens however would now of course be Irish citizens, and would be funded by Dublin & Brussels. Same money, different supplier!

Island of Ireland IRISH, island of Britain BRITISH.

Simples ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Do you blame me?

I posted this, thinking it was very tame and thoughtful, and now you keep posting crap about frippery, of course I'm getting fed up.

You never explained what you meant by 'funded'. They won't be funded, they'll be working for the good of the whole country like everyone else. Their own country that they are invested in and have a say in, just like everyone else. Unless of course FF and FG take the hump again and refuse to deal with the DUP or the UUp.

You never explained what you meant by 'funded'. They won't be funded, they'll be working for the good of the whole country like everyone else. Their own country that they are invested in and have a say in, just like everyone else. Unless of course FF and FG take the hump again and refuse to deal with the DUP or the UUp.

He mentioned "Funded = Barnett Formula".

But again, who cares. Handing money over to England to then have them decide what you deserve is insane.

Do you blame me?

You asked a question that was answered. You asked purposely in what I thought to be an obtuse way to get a response.

You're not an idiot. I hate when people play dumb in threads like this when they can easily engage better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭downcow

What did you suggest then? Did you leave yourself some wiggle room?

You show me the post you are referring to and if it still confuses you I’ll help you.
    Stop just making stuff up when you have lost the argument

• Advertisement

Yous literally wanting it on table,for a utd ireland discussion (which your entitled to do)???

Quite,why you feel,someone agreeing everything should be up for discussion is lacking integrity is beyond me,

Blaaz you are simply telling lies. Just put up the post where I have said I would like negotiations or where I have said I I would like roi to unite with England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Anyway back to the land of reality. The only change to the current status quo is a United Ireland. Any other unions are figments of vivid imaginations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What do you mean 'funded'...they would be contributing to the pot just like everyone else .

They would of course, what’s the biggest industry I wonder?

Cattle smuggling, diesel laundering?

I hear haulage is a big earner up in the Monaghan booooders?

Lot of refrigerated trucks about...big fleet...big fleet ..Bulgarian some of them... very entrepreneurial indeed.

Anyway back to the land of reality. The only change to the current status quo is a United Ireland. Any other unions are figments of vivid imaginations.

Imaginations determined to block out that thing they hated in the first place. That thing that Jim Molyneaux said was 'the worst thing ever happened to us', the Irish people winning self determination for all of us.
    They cannot bear that because they know only too well what it means.

They would of course, what’s the biggest industry I wonder?

Cattle smuggling, diesel laundering?

I hear haulage is a big earner up in the Monaghan booooders?

Lot of refrigerated trucks about...big fleet...big fleet ..Bulgarian some of them... very entrepreneurial indeed.

Kinda hard to hide 40 foot trucks Brendan, if they are operating illegally, it shouldn't be beyond the Gardai to shut down. In fact you would wonder what has being going on that they have been able to operate so freely for so long. And how even 'the dogs on the streets' once again know what is going on but nothing is done?

Anyhow, that is beside the point the people of NI cannot be classed as being 'funded' in their own country that they are contributing to.

downcow wrote: »
    You show me the post you are referring to and if it still confuses you I’ll help you.
    Stop just making stuff up when you have lost the argument

Yes that's exactly what's happening here. You got me!

:sar:

But what will we do with all of these strawmen that I have here to sell you?

Kinda hard to hide 40 foot trucks Brendan, if they are operating illegally, it shouldn't be beyond the Gardai to shut down. In fact you would wonder what has being going on that they have been able to operate so freely for so long. And how even 'the dogs on the streets' once again know what is going on but nothing is done?

Anyhow, that is beside the point the people of NI cannot be classed as being 'funded' in their own country that they are contributing to.

Why do Partitionists think it's always a straight transactional process?

It's maddening.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing who the "No to Unity" side end up being.

Agreed. It has been decided so all this nonsense about negotiations and discussions are void of reality.
    GFA it is - ie UK until there is a vote otherwise, and then UI. And then the fun and games starts again as we work for autonomy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

Deficit already at 6.1 billion this year compared to 63 million at the same point last year in the Republic.

https://www.thejournal.ie/finance-coronavirus-government-covid-paschal-5113941-Jun2020/

NI is facing a severe recession with one department likely to run out of funds by the 19th of June. What's this year's subvention going to be ?

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2020-05-26/northern-ireland-faces-very-severe-recession-conor-murphy/

Do people still think an UI is a realistic prospect? Decades away at best.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    Deficit already at 6.1 billion this year compared to 63 million at the same point last year in the Republic.

https://www.thejournal.ie/finance-coronavirus-government-covid-paschal-5113941-Jun2020/

NI is facing a severe recession with one department likely to run out of funds by the 19th of June. What's this year's subvention going to be ?

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2020-05-26/northern-ireland-faces-very-severe-recession-conor-murphy/

Do people still think an UI is a realistic prospect? Decades away at best.

Wait, so you're saying it won't happen tomorrow then?

Covid's effects are the latest excuse to not bother.

Wait, so you're saying it won't happen tomorrow then?

Covid's effects are the latest excuse to not bother.

Prior to COVID it would of involved a big financial sacrifice from the South now there isn't a chance of an UI until the economy has recovered. I said previously i believe MLD would never see an UI. If this crisis continues for much longer i don't think anyone who voted for the GFA will see it either.

Prior to COVID it would of involved a big financial sacrifice from the South now there isn't a chance of an UI until the economy has recovered. I said previously i believe MLD would never see an UI. If this crisis continues for much longer i don't think anyone who voted for the GFA will see it either.

"Sacrifice" as if we're being great benevolent charitable people.

You really went out on a limb there with your prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CharlesDarwin

Woops, I kinda feel guilty in creating a new social media web site for Ireland now after reading this thread lol

"Sacrifice" as if we're being great benevolent charitable people.

You really went out on a limb there with your prediction.

Well we've had 20+ years already given the circumstance not hard to believe it will be multiples of that before we see any real movement.

Well we've had 20+ years already given the circumstance not hard to believe it will be multiples of that before we see any real movement.

And it's hard not to believe that perhaps Northern Ireland as an entity as part of the UK is a failure given the fact that it's in its current state after nearly 100 years.

Perhaps it would be better served being reunited eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Around 1916 Dublin had some of the worst slums to be found among western European cities.

Iv no doubt that's true. I'm just saying the country was the 11th richest in the world around 1916. Dublin slums got even worse as did Limericks before they started falling down and finally replaced..we still have horrific areas to this day. The World is a tough place. I think we are abit immature as a Nation.
    We reject any of our British past..We say we were as colonised as the Indians. We take no ownership of our part in the British Empire ...as Empire Builders.. stats like 60% of civil servants in Bengal in the 1850s being Irish..half Catholic. It is beyond our ability to see past the victimhood of the famine ,as terrible as it was and realise we arent some special case. Even the Indians dont talk as negatively of their British past as much as we do. It's weird. We are ok with all the poor Irish in the British Army over hundreds of years ( no choice,needed
    to put food on the table..,rubbish most joined because they wanted to) ...but as soon as they get to be officer rank we disown them because we Irish cant be Colonisers ..

And it's hard not to believe that perhaps Northern Ireland as an entity as part of the UK is a failure given the fact that it's in its current state after nearly 100 years.

Perhaps it would be better served being reunited eh?

A valid point of view, but for you unfortunately a minority point of view at every single point during the last 100 years, and I am pretty confident it will remain a minority point of view for the next 100 years

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Iv no doubt that's true. I'm just saying the country was the 11th richest in the world around 1916. Dublin slums got even worse as did Limericks before they started falling down and finally replaced..we still have horrific areas to this day. The World is a tough place. I think we are abit immature as a Nation.
    We reject any of our British past..We say we were as colonised as the Indians. We take no ownership of our part in the British Empire ...as Empire Builders.. stats like 60% of civil servants in Bengal in the 1850s being Irish..half Catholic. It is beyond our ability to see past the victimhood of the famine ,as terrible as it was and realise we arent some special case. Even the Indians dont talk as negatively of their British past as much as we do. It's weird. We are ok with all the poor Irish in the British Army over hundreds of years ( no choice,needed
    to put food on the table..,rubbish most joined because they wanted to) ...but as soon as they get to be officer rank we disown them because we Irish cant be Colonisers ..
    this is a wonderful statistic. One I have not heard before. Would you have any evidence or a link - just checking before I open a wee bottle to celebrate my newfound knowledge

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    We reject any of our British past..
    I don't, I am actively involved in preserving their presence here.
    We say we were as colonised as the Indians. We take no ownership of our part in the British Empire ...as Empire Builders.. stats like 60% of civil servants in Bengal in the 1850s being Irish..half Catholic. It is beyond our ability to see past the victimhood of the famine ,as terrible as it was and realise we arent some special case. Even the Indians dont talk as negatively of their British past as much as we do. It's weird. We are ok with all the poor Irish in the British Army over hundreds of years ( no choice,needed

It is when some deny the brutal parts of that past that the problems arise.
    What individual Irlsh people did is their own responsibility, far more took no active part in colonisation or the augmentation of the 'Empire', don't forget that stat.

Advertisement