Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Everyday Racism"

• 20-03-2020 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0319/1124246-everyday-racism-is-an-issue-says-immigrant-council/
    While there is a general openness to immigration, according to Ihunanya Enyi-Amadi of the African Students Association of Ireland, there is still a hostility towards immigration and a fear of immigrants.

1. I have no fear of immigrants or foreigners and have personally never treated any foreigners badly in any way whatsoever whether in all my years living in London or any I met here in Ireland.

2. The issue of racism has noting to do with concerns of immigration and the effects it has in society as seen in the UK. Happy to elaborate on what that means if anyone ask's.

3. The statement issued is contradictory. On the one had they talk of 'everyday' racism suggesting that somehow there is causal racism in Ireland (a socital acceptance of it etc.) while at the same time saying that they estimate most ppl in Ireland are open to immigration.

This 'everyday' casual racism accusation has really got on my nerves and imv is quite the insult in this time of solidarity.

Let't point out the obvious. Anyone who expresses even the slightest bit of concern regarding immigration is a racist according the Immigration Council of Ireland, and by supporters of multiculturalism.

In the last few years in the UK accusations of racism has gone through the roof. Like never seen before even when Stephen Lawrence was murdered.

Why is this? Is it the intention to wipe out racism. I don't think so. It has now become about gaining an advantage. For example a UK university in the UK paid money to Jamaica in some form. "Reparations" is what that was about and indeed a newly elected Labour 'woman of colour' stood up in parliament and demeaned same recently.

And the Immigration council of Ireland are in the same game. If not financial reparations then they are seeking some advantage whatever that might be, be it diversity quotas perhaps, or whatever, who knows, but some concrete advantage. And they don't mind insulting the Irish nation to get what they want. Utterly despicable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

There's racist people in every country is the answer to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Social welfare dependency , which is high in certain immigrant communities.,is not wanted. Pointing things like that out gets people labelled ' racist '. Yawn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Rufeo wrote: »

Only white countries of course, bruh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Stoking fear of immigration is nothing more than a divide and control tactic. Put the masses minds off hating politicians. Put them against one another. It’s implemented by blow in who don’t belong here so they deflect their own issues on why they shouldn’t be here being old gentry and old British planters. In truth racism comes from the highest levels and doesn’t exist lower down the classes

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I couldn't care less what happens in the UK or what they do or don't do. We should be looking at our EU neighbours instead of what goes on across the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Rufeo wrote: »

The definition of 'racist' has changed.

Once it was being a member of the Klu Klux Klan, or that you were happy enough to shoot Jewish ppl in the head, but now it's about a person you have no social cultural religious similarity identity with, and merely pointing out that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

AllForIt wrote: »

Once it was being a member of the Klu Klux Klan, or that you were happy enough to shoot Jewish ppl in the head, but now it's about a person you have no social cultural religious similarity identity with, and merely pointing out that fact.

Now its about well do you support mass immigration or not ..you wont be asked about it ..these dp cells are every bit as deadly as coronavirus..ok so no flights in or out I would support just making anyone living in ireland currently entitled to support ..deportations are not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

everyone is a little bit unconsciously racist, it's time we accept that for what it is and move on, we're not all members of the KKK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Look at the huge rise of African crime in Ireland we dont want it getting worst do we?
    Also it effects law abiding legal Africans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

but then again, there is a lot of actual racism being disguised as 'casual / everyday / unconscious' racism...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

A cottage industry has grown up over the last few years of people “representing” immigrants/trans/travellers/women/disabled etc. (Who appointed them???) and they’ve been making a mint telling regular folks how we are racist and xenophobic and every other type of phobic you can think of. Professional finger waggers.

Im times of crisis, the nation gains a bit of necessary perspective and this kind of casual tarring of the entire population as racist is shown up for what it is - reverse racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

New range from Tesco?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A lot of these so called people who accuse people of being racist have similarities to VEGANS who share animal cruelty clips and headlines on their social media platforms.
    Anyone who wants to share animals in pain are only fillers in society and sick people.

Absolute hypocrisy and dangerous individuals.

The sort of people who post stupid inane sh1t on twitter, Facebook and Instagram and when people point out their stupidly and narcissistic traits, they answer with I didn't ask you for your feedback. And all their goon friends start lambasting the individual who suggested the emperors not wearing any clothes.

We live in an era where we have a lot of people who are not even sure who they are themselves and crying out for attention and they'll use others pain to make themselves feel better.

Granted it's not nice to be discriminatory towards someone because of their race and I would never look down on a race, religion or people's lifestyle choices.

Accusing someone wrongfully for being a racist should be on par for being a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

nthclare wrote: »
    A lot of these so called people who accuse people

:confused:

What are they, dolphins?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If he's not happy he is welcome to leave. I treat everyone equally until I get to know them, I'm sick of hearing people moan about how horrible we are to them while all our systems are under strain not helped at all by the number of people we have coming in to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭enricoh

CageWager wrote: »
    A cottage industry has grown up over the last few years of people “representing” immigrants/trans/travellers/women/disabled etc. (Who appointed them???) and they’ve been making a mint telling regular folks how we are racist and xenophobic and every other type of phobic you can think of. Professional finger waggers.

Im times of crisis, the nation gains a bit of necessary perspective and this kind of casual tarring of the entire population as racist is shown up for what it is - reverse racism.

Professional finger waggers in quangos funded by the taxpayer. Always crying for more cash and almost always getting it.
    Government finances are going to be hammered by this virus, hopefully these parasites get there funding cut to zero, disabled excepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the question has to be;

"racist compared to what and when?"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

And chief amongst that industry is the national broadcaster RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

there will always be people too tell you how much of a sinner you are, how you need to repent. It used to be the church and the jesus freaks. Now its NGOs, academics and influencers. I'm not in the market for your moral superiority, i'm not buying what youre selling but thanks all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Douglas Murray's book " Strange Death of Europe" mentioned how opinion makers (media, academia) had changed the narrative context of what is understood by racism to make any form of questioning of topics such as immigration effectively taboo. They shifted the Overton window. Given the perpetual need to signal their virtue as members of the chattering classes ( see Thomas Sowell's Discrimination and Disparities on how this works in the US) by not having any taint of racism, these type of state media reports are expected.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Does anyone have anything to back their assertions up? A lot of Africans are on the dole, the crime rate amongst Africans is huge, any proof of this?

It's like the myth about all the people getting free houses and the huge number who've never worked. The reality is far different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I've been called a racist on a number of occasions.

1-Worked in a shop before, customer of African Descent shouting on the phone, asked him to keep it down or cake the call outside. Had done the same for some local white folks too...Apparently Racist

2-Someone parked in my SIL drive, asked them to move it...Apparently Racist, probably was, as i was nicer to this girl than i'd ever been to the white folks who had done it previously, normally just get a buddy to tow it away and leave it somewhere random:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I feel like the virus is going to wash away a lot of this stuff.
    I suspect so. I also suspect it'll bring to the surface any cracks in societies along class and ethnic lines too. Contagions tend to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

AllForIt wrote:
    2. The issue of racism has noting to do with concerns of immigration and the effects it has in society as seen in the UK. Happy to elaborate on what that means if anyone ask's.

Racists hide behind this though. Racists use words like "gangs" when there is no gang. Racists try scare the community with "we can't afford them", "they are taking all our jobs", "they're all on the dole" etc. Notice the contradiction there of taking our jobs & yet they are all on the dole.

AllForIt wrote:
    3. The statement issued is contradictory. On the one had they talk of 'everyday' racism suggesting that somehow there is causal racism in Ireland (a socital acceptance of it etc.) while at the same time saying that they estimate most ppl in Ireland are open to immigration.

There is casual racism in Ireland (& here on boards) & plenty of it. However that doesn't mean that most Irish are welcoming of foreign nationals. The small minority makes enough noise & cause enough casual racism for it to be a daily occurrence. I don't see the statement as "contradictory". It's not black and white (pardon the pun). It's possible that they encounter casual racism & yet the majority of people aren't racist. It's the one racist fecker they encounter in a day causes enough upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

timhenn wrote:
    Does anyone have anything to back their assertions up? A lot of Africans are on the dole, the crime rate amongst Africans is huge, any proof of this?

Someone will post official figures showing that there is a higher percentage of Africans unemployed compared to Irish or Ireland as a whole. What they never do is post figures of the percentage of Africans unemployed compared to white Irish living in the exact same area or estate. There aren't too many Africans living in middle class areas with 3rd level education yet. So including middle class areas in the statistics is deliberately trying to spin the "lazy immigrant" nonsense. Racists don't like to compare like with like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    .... Racists don't like to compare like with like

I think this is what the OP is talking about.
    The poster above casually throwing out the "racists" accusation diminishes the validity of real racism claims when it does happen.
    It has gone way past the little boy crying wolf at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dlaughingcow

Oooff long post coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dlaughingcow

Racism and discrimination go in every direction, but it doesn't feel like it's okay to say that.

Years ago, I had a (nationality) girlfriend, as Irish as anybody that claims to be. The relationship eventually ended because her stepdad couldn't stand the thought of her having a boyfriend who wasn't the same colour as him. All her siblings loved me, but I wasn't welcome in her family home purely because of him. He was a fcuking cnut, he used to use emotion to take over half her wages to 'contribute' to the family home because he was unemployed, but for the longest time he didn't apply for jobs because there was nothing that suited him. Eventually he took the easy route towards gaining employment and became a (job) because he saw us working in similar, albeit (job), roles; despite him not having what I'd consider to be the right, caring personality for the job. I could have married her but between him, work, and study, the relationship caused too much stress for both of us.

Afterwards I moved abroad, I've been in a relationship with a (nationality) woman for three and a half years. At least one out of every two times we go to a big supermarket older (nationality) men look at me and then stare at her, sometimes for up to a minute, just staring at her. Sometimes they'll walk in the same direction as us and they keep staring at her, never me. It pisses me off no end, without fail every time, I'll ask them why they're looking at my girlfriend. They become shy when they see that a foreigner can call them up on their behaviour in their own language.

I've also heard groups of young men make nasty comments towards my girlfriend, and my female (nationality) friends, because I'm there.

Over there I (job), while I love them, my top (job) are such little racist pricks, not towards me but in their comments towards people from (country) and black people. I've tried to change their outlook but it really doesn't have any effect.

At the end of January, I went to (country) to visit a relative. While talking, a random black man came up to me started aggressively shouting what seemed like the N word. Repeatedly, over and over. I have no idea why, but it shook a bit of anxiety into me.

While living in (country), I've had English people say disgusting things about The Troubles, and about the broader intertwined history between our countries, and I've had them defend what took place in Croke Park on Bloody Sunday. I won't go into being called 'potato' by some cnuts.

Five years ago I was walking through a park in Edinburgh. I saw a man up in the distance, evidently pissed. He was talking to people as they walked past him, seemed friendly. When we walked past him he said a few things, I thought it was great, nothing makes me happier than having the craic. When he heard my accent his mood changed, he was evidently a Loyalist from Northern Ireland, he became super aggressive, just because of my accent. He threatened to punch me, he followed us, he threatened to stab me. Luckily, a random Scottish man intervened and gave us time to get away.

Racism and discrimination go in every direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

enricoh wrote: »
    Professional finger waggers in quangos funded by the taxpayer. Always crying for more cash and almost always getting it.
    Government finances are going to be hammered by this virus, hopefully these parasites get there funding cut to zero, disabled excepted.

It's a beautiful system , the taxpayer is paying these people who accuse the same taxpayer of being bad people.
    you couldn't make that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

AllForIt wrote: »

Can you point me to a reliable source for your definition of racism?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement