Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

• 20-03-2020 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen or heard anything from Mary Lou, Slab Murphy and other good Republicans in ages.

What's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They haven't gone away you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Ni ceapaim

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They were in the Dail yesterday. TBF everyone has vanished except for the handful of politicians we hear from daily. Nobody else needs to be in view at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,772 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I heard ML droning on, and on, and on, and on, yesterday evening on some radio show, not sure what channel.

But I agree, they've gone awfully quiet.

Maybe (thankfully) they've all agreed that now is not the time to be playing silly political buggers - like it or not, the old government is the de facto government until they can agree another one - and frankly there's bigger issues to be dealt with right now. So they need to be given the time and space to get on with it.

If that's what's actually happened, then kudos to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Mary Lou was on with Ivan Yates the other day, spouting on about "They should do this, they should do that". And I would think they are doing most if not all of what she was saying they would do.

But I suppose when we voted such high-calibre TD's such as that one in Clare or Mr "Up Da Ra", I'm sure they have massive international crisis-management potential......

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,950 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I haven't seen or heard anything from Mary Lou, Slab Murphy and other good Republicans in ages.

What's going on?

Mary lous kid goes to the Dublin school that was one of the first affected, so she has been in isolation every since.

This isn't a time for political point scoring.

They are looking after their families

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Mary lous kid goes to the Dublin school that was one of the first affected, so she has been in isolation every since.

the govt have families.

everyone has families.

where are sf?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I think Mary Lou finds it hard to criticise how FG are handling the situation. Everything she says they should do they are either doing or have plans to do. The empty can rattles the most but for now the can remains silent...

I don't think there are many people in the country who would want a party as inexperienced as SF handling the situation right now regardless of which side of the left right spectrum they stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose this goes to show how bombarded we are with snippets and images every day, and how politicians must stay in the press or be considered vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

aido79 wrote: »
    I think Mary Lou finds it hard to criticise how FG are handling the situation. Everything she says they should do they are either doing or have plans to do. The empty can rattles the most but for now the can remains silent...

I don't think there are many people in the country who would want a party as inexperienced as SF handling the situation right now regardless of which side of the left right spectrum they stand on.

Surely it shows why She's a good politician, no political point scoring. Shes able to admit when people are doing a good job.
    Youre clearly anti sinn fein but probably have no problem in them sharing power in the North. Why is it okay for people to put aside their differences up north but down here we have hypocritical folk like you going on about can rattles. Not following the thread just sticking it to ya -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think politicians realise that it’s not the time for petty points scoring. Michael
    Martin has been quiet as well.

It’s also the fact that the media are throwing everything at the covid19 reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

SF do not want to be seen in a crisis like this as they fear getting things wrong and losing votes in the next election. All they care about is protesting and bandwagoninering and there is not much to protest at the moment and no bandwagon to jump on.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

they won't be happy that Leo and Co seem to be doing a reasonable job over the virus. its a major potential banana skin for any government and FG seem to be keeping it together so far. Leo, as far as his abilities allow, did a good job with his state of the nation address.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

If SF were front and centre people would accuse them of trying to hog the limelight, intruding and being a hindrance.

Now that they've taken a step back and are letting the government get on with the task at hand, people are still whingeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

They're writing letters.....

Mary Lou in an interview the other night: "I wrote a letter to the Taoiseach outlining what needs to be done/what needed to be done".

Pearse Doherty: "I wrote a letter to the banks telling them what needs to be done"

How are these letters delivered?
    Are they read?

SF have a funny way of trying to claim that they have some influence from these letters...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Now that they've taken a step back and are letting the government get on with the task at hand, people are still whingeing.
    its the right thing for SF to STFU right now but its noteworthy because we're so used to them being vocal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I think politicians realise that it’s not the time for petty points scoring.

Paul Donnelly SF soon realised that after his tweet about Varadkar's speech,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

zoobizoo wrote: »
    They're writing letters.....

Mary Lou in an interview the other night: "I wrote a letter to the Taoiseach outlining what needs to be done/what needed to be done".

Pearse Doherty: "I wrote a letter to the banks telling them what needs to be done"

How are these letters delivered?
    Are they read?

SF have a funny way of trying to claim that they have some influence from these letters...

Pearse Doherty's wife re registered as a nurse to help fight the Covid 19 so he's probably a stay at home dad at the moment.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yes, it's all gone very quiet regarding SF. I certainly haven't heard anyone suggest they should be in Government to sort out the current situation. Probably for the best considering none of them have cabinet or ministerial experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

She has in her hoop... She's been out of isolation for at least 10 days.

Proof: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9m0glOgJKl/?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think SF would be putting all their energies into 'free money' all round for people if they were leading the fight on this crisis......

They also likely be forcing Tony Holohan to deliver all updates in Irish as well as English.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

She has in her hoop... She's been out of isolation for at least 10 days.

Proof: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9m0glOgJKl/?hl=en

Yeah, wasn't she in the Dail a day or two after the kids were told to self isolate at home IIRC

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Surely it shows why She's a good politician, no political point scoring. Shes able to admit when people are doing a good job.
    Youre clearly anti sinn fein but probably have no problem in them sharing power in the North. Why is it okay for people to put aside their differences up north but down here we have hypocritical folk like you going on about can rattles. Not following the thread just sticking it to ya -

Can you explain to me why exactly you think she is a good politician? What has she ever actually done apart from criticise?

I'm not really sure why you're bringing the north into this. SF have an obligation to be in government there due to power sharing. It's hardly putting differences aside. Regardless of how many votes they get in the north SF have to be part of the government. Fortunately it's not the same in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

There is going to be some very tough decisions to be made after this.

Whoever is in government will have to look after business to get them back on Thier feet and it will be to the short term detriment for many people.

The people of this country will have to make sacrifices to get the economy back on its feet, whoever is in government will have to make hard unpopular decisions for the long term stability of this country.

I cannot see SF or the left making these decisions.

Also the pot if money they where going to use to solve everything is now gone. I fully expect SF to sit on Thier hands and winge about everything for the next five years in opposition, while FF and FG make the unpopular decisions needed to get people back to work.

walshb wrote: »
    I think SF would be putting all their energies into 'free money' all round for people if they were leading the fight on this crisis......

They also likely be forcing Tony Holohan to deliver all updates in Irish as well as English.

Ah right, it must be them that's behind the reason every time a bus stops in Dublin the announcement is made in both english and Irish.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Clara Kelly has it and is on radio every day.

This Muppet wants to be leader of the country. Still taking her pay I'd imagine.
    Maybe slab and the lads have yet to decide on their virus policy so she's waiting on instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Why are people moaning about SF or any other party for that matter?

Varadker - Taoiseach
    Coveney - Tánaiste
    Harris - Minister for Health

Who else exactly do you want to hear from at this present time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Reality is SF manifesto has gone up in smoke and while its the same for other political parties they didn't promise as much.

MOR316 wrote: »
    Why are people moaning about SF or any other party for that matter?

Varadker - Taoiseach
    Coveney - Tánaiste
    Harris - Minister for Health

Who else exactly do you want to hear from at this present time?

Sinn Fein could come up with a cure for Covid 19 tomorrow and you'd still have muppets on here complaining...

"Why didn't they do it sooner?"

"Look how many died".

"It's all their fault, they're murderers".

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein could come up with a cure for Covid 19 tomorrow and you'd still have muppets on here complaining...

"Look how many died".

"It's all their fault, they're murderers".

FG/FF could come up with a cure for Covid 19 tomorrow and you'd still have muppets on here complaining...

"Look how many died".

"It's all their fault, they're murderers"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement