Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yurt! wrote: »
    I want the current FG crop a million miles from the cabinet table. But it's very instructive that they've clearly clocked out when they could very clearly be in the hunt to form part of a government if they wanted to.

They are doing the very thing they spent years telling the electorate the left did.

Truly a bunch of wasters

I would see it as a holding position. If the Left government is not formed, it could be back to FF/FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭dubrov

Necro wrote: »
    320 million wiped off the market in Irish shares at the mere thought of SF taking power.

Careful what you wish for SF voters, you just might get it.

Where are you getting that from? The bank prices seem to have moved in line with the general market since Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I want the current FG crop a million miles from the cabinet table. But it's very instructive that they've clearly clocked out when they could very clearly be in the hunt to form part of a government if they wanted to.

They are doing the very thing they spent years telling the electorate the left did.

Truly a bunch of wasters

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

That’s the one. FG went to the people with a message about balanced budgets, economic growth, and prudent investments in service and infrastructure improvements.

That was rejected by the electorate and FG had their 2nd worst result ever. There’s no mandate for more of the same.

FG now have to spend time in opposition and consider what the party is about and who they represent. Rebuilding and all that jazz.

It’s highly ironic that those who were so keen to see the back of them (including on this forum) are now so tetchy about the idea of FG spending time in opposition.

Things worked out exactly as people wanted. Opposition isn’t doing nothing. It’s an essential part of democracy.

People rejected them because they were so incompetent in government:

Housing crises
    Health crises
    Completely inadequate public transport system
    Massive fines for doing nothing about their emissions targets

They are a party who have been asleep for the past 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yes it is, you might not agree 35,000 being working poor, but it is in dublin... I offer staff extra hours and the vast majority wont take it at E35 an hour, due to the marginal rate. Its outrageous, that rate of penal tax , from that low an income! FG a party for workers and enterprise !!! LOL! LOL!

Noone pays 50% income tax, especially not those on 35k!

Our tax rate is national, you are lying about this repeatedly. There are plenty truths you can peddle that are more damaging than this baseless lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Housing crises
    Health crises

I have repeated this here endlessly, the bar here is set so low, that all you have to do, to retain power, is not be absolutely ****e, **** will get you past the post...

Its just total paralysis and talk here. This election, has probably done the entire country a favour, there is no way, getting voted in and doing nothing, will be tolerated any more. Time will tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Housing crises
    Health crises

We’ve enormous levels of debt, and only had our first budget surplus in over a decade last year. If you don’t have money then you can’t buy nice things. This isn’t even complex economic theory - it’s junior cert level budgeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’m going to quote this one back to you if FG are approached by one of the two larger parties and go into government.

I have a feeling your stance will change if that happens.

If they form a government I'd let them at it. Not a good thing for the country mind you, because these are the two stodgy movements that wrecked the country on one hand, and delivered us the slow-train wreck that is housing on the other.

Ultimately those two are afraid of it because they're so accustomed to taking lumps out of each other pretending they're not two wings of the same party. Which is why they're not seeking it out.

You can go back into archives and quote me on that if you wish.

In any case, I'd be fairly confident that Leo and Martin will have us back in our local national school in a few weeks rather than seriously entertain the idea of a grand coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

satguy wrote: »
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

This kind of nonsense boils my piss.

I'm not FG but they inherited an absolute sh1tshow when they got into power, the country was on its knee's quite literally. You don't turn those things around with the snap of a finger - they did what they could, with what resources were available to them.

Yes, they've made mistakes along the way, some absolute howlers but they did what they could. Any other party in their position would have delivered similar results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is like the Fine Gael bashers have run out of things to bash now.

Only 1 in 5 people voted for FG. It is everyone else's chance now.

For people who say they did nothing I think they have chosen to ignore

1) Gay Marriage
    2) Abortion

No other party ever delivered these in 100 years of the State. It needs to be said.

I look forward to seeing John Brady or David Cullinane discussing the future of Bord Iascaigh Mhara after Brexit starts rolling in. If I was living in Killybegs I would be genuinely shítting myself. Meet the new boss …. same as the old boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IAMAMORON wrote: »

1) Gay Marriage
    2) Abortion

No other party ever delivered these in 100 years of the State. It needs to be said.

I look forward to seeing John Brady or David Cullinane discussing the future of Bord Iascaigh Mhara after Brexit starts rolling in. If I was living in Killybegs I would be genuinely shítting myself. Meet the new boss …. same as the old boss.
    They gave us divorce too, twice whereas FF got the ball rolling on adding the 8th and twice tried to change the electoral system to FPTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Necro wrote: »
    320 million wiped off the market in Irish shares at the mere thought of SF taking power.

Careful what you wish for SF voters, you just might get it.

https://twitter.com/PaulSommerville/status/1226990940642070528?s=19

https://twitter.com/PaulSommerville/status/1227190392791195653?s=19

Noone pays 50% income tax, especially not those on 35k!

Our tax rate is national, you are lying about this repeatedly. There are plenty truths you can peddle that are more damaging than this baseless lie.

single people earning above 35,300 if single, dont pay FIFTY percent?

please see the below income tax calculator!

https://download.pwc.com/ie/budget-2020/income-tax-results.html?status=1&parentstatus=0&ageattained=35&prsicategory=1&grossincome=on&grosssalary=35300&pensionfund=on&tradeincome=on&welfarepension=on&investmentincome=0&salary3=0&covehicle=on&healthinsure=on&clubbiksel=0&otherbiksel=0&employerloan=on&submit=Calculate+my+tax

Fg said they were about prudence and rewarding workers, absolute lies on both counts over the last nine years, coming from a former FG voter...

We’ve enormous levels of debt, and only had our first budget surplus in over a decade last year. If you don’t have money then you can’t buy nice things. This isn’t even complex economic theory - it’s junior cert level budgeting.

You don't need to run a budget surplus to build infrastructure or invest once you're creditworthy and service your debt. We were back on the markets a long time ago.

If he's Junior Cert, you've just failed your Leaving.

Your link shows an overall tax rate of 17.2%.

Gross income = €35,300

Deductions = €6,083

Nett income = €29,217

Or are you saying that 17.2 = FIFTY?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's incredibly amusing.

Sometime last week there was an article in one of the British newspapers saying; "Brexit has been delivered. So why are Brexiteers still so angry?"

This has all the hallmarks of the same thing. Sinn Féin supporters poured their heart and soul into attacking FG for the last nine years. Leo is a Tory, they're all posh D4 heads just feeding off the trough. They're killing people with their policies. Get them out. Out, out, out.

Now it's job done. FG are out. But the Shinners are still angry. They've achieved what they claim was their goal, but apparently don't feel any better about themselves.

FG are still the enemy. FG are doing exactly what Shinners wanted; getting out of government; but now that's not OK. They should be doing the opposite. The goalposts haven't just shifted, they've been moved to the opposite end of the pitch.

Could it be that we have a core group of detractors who are just malcontents? They hitched themselves to the Shinner wagon because it was going the same way, but really all they really wanted was to bitch and moan, and bitch and moan. They were never looking for anyone to fix anything, they just wanted a sounding board to shout at.

Now the old sounding board is being taken down and they pledged their allegiance to the new sounding board, so they don't know who to bitch and moan about any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You don't need to run a budget surplus to build infrastructure or invest once you're creditworthy and service your debt. We were back on the markets a long time ago.

If he's Junior Cert, you've just failed your Leaving.

Central bank seems to disagree

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0212/1114707-central-bank-quarterly-bulletin/

Unfortunately it’s obvious that if SF do get into government the only way they can deliver a fraction of their promises is by borrowing.

Your link shows an overall tax rate of 17.2%.

Gross income = €35,300

Deductions = €6,083

Nett income = €29,217

Or are you saying that 17.2 = FIFTY?

I am saying for every euro you earn over E35,300 as a single person, you pay 50c of it in tax. pretty simple to understand, pretty moronic rate and implications...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Green&Red wrote: »

Unfortunately it’s obvious that if SF do get into government the only way they can deliver a fraction of their promises is by borrowing.

It's gas, the USC isn't enough for some. Troika and IMF will be back in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BarryNumber1

This is the root of everything that’s going on right now... 200 billion in the hole and we’re spending 5 billion annually to service that. Any further borrowing will only screw things up further. Quite frankly, the boot up the hole to FG and FF to a lesser extent has been decades coming. I’m in my 50s, never voted for FF as I saw first hand the thick-as-two-planks shysters getting in time and again in Cork and knew that would bite us in the arse one day. Well it has. I generally give FG a vote but will not any more as long as Leo is in charge. He hasn’t an ounce of empathy for anyone’s plight be they those lower income or the entitled-to-nothing-pay-for-everything middle class. FG need to grow up and try to fix what’s in front of them, not gloat afterwards if SF and coalition (?) go south... that sorts nothing out and is only repeating the FF vs FG nonsense we’ve had for decades.

Yes I’m aware of shysters also in FG. Yes I’m aware of the RA brigade in SF, I don’t vote for them either. Solving Ireland’s problems is not going to be done by them, only by adults. FG should assign their adults to talking to whoever to try to get us out of this ****fest.

I am saying for every euro you earn over E35,300 as a single person, you pay 50c of it in tax. pretty simple to understand, pretty moronic rate and implications...

No you said that low income workers in dublin on 35k - (agreed that this is low for Dublin fwiw) pay 50% tax on their income.

They don't. It's impossible, even if you were on €200,000 you would still only be paying 45.2% tax.

You are fecking miles off with your statement, changing your stance to say: It's FIFTY % on overtime is still lying.

The only time someone in Ireland pays 50% income tax is once they get to an annual salary of about €750,000pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

seamus wrote: »
    It's incredibly amusing.

...lots of common sense...

SF overpromised in their manifesto, surprised Mary Lou didn’t include ‘World peace and end world hunger’. SF figured they’d be in opposition, and could constantly tap their little manifesto and tell and and sundry that the government are falling short of what SF would have done.

Now they have a very realistic chance of forming a government, and have no way of realistically delivering on their promises.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

People voted for "change" as the left have been telling us since the results. FG is giving the people the opportunity for "change".

FG are absolutely right not to consider a coalition with SF. Their policies are not compatible, and the resulting government would be a pointless one which would not last long at all.

Let SF at the reins, it's time to see what they can do. They are already beginning to sound like a party of government. "Carbon taxes? Ah I'm sure we can do something around that to keep the Greens happy, even if we promised not to increase them."

I'm not only interested to see how they perform in government, but also to see how their aim of a united Ireland develops while they are in power. From their manifesto:
    The Irish Government has a duty and a constitutional obligation to make preparations for Unity.
    To examine the economic arguments. The cultural and social dimensions. The political dynamics.
    To take account of the significant shifts in population and identity demographics in the North in
    recent decades. To open this process up and in consultation with and through a process of inclusive
    dialogue, to persuade those – unionists, nationalists and others – who have reservations about unity
    - that Irish unity makes sense for them, for their families and for the future.

A newly elected TD shouting "up the RA" is hardly going to "persuade unionists" who have reservations about Irish unity I'd imagine.

Green&Red wrote: »

I wasn't referring to future borrowing/spend policies. You were slyly suggesting that the outgoing government couldn't do anything about the problems highlighted because they only ran their first surplus last year.

They were borrowing the entire time (since we got access to the markets), they just so happened to be spunking it up against the wall on HAP in a broken market and consultancy fees evreytime they had to decide what tie to pick out in the morning.

for all of those of you hoping this will be a blip for Fg, it might be, it wont be if they keep that moron varadkar at the helm, I see I am not the only one that wont vote for them again, with that spinessless weasel at the helm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭satguy

The only job FG would have liked to finish, was getting Dinny over the 10 Billion mark.

They came close.. Maybe next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

1) Gay Marriage
    2) Abortion

That's true. And I'd also give credit to FF for the smoking ban. It still amazes me that it was them who brought it in.

The trouble is that none of those achievements puts money in your pocket, gives you better access to health care, makes it easier to get a home or reduces the cost of insurance...all factors which will also affect gay couples, women who have had abortions and pub drinkers with cleaner lungs.

seamus wrote: »
    It's incredibly amusing.

Sometime last week there was an article in one of the British newspapers saying; "Brexit has been delivered. So why are Brexiteers still so angry?"

This has all the hallmarks of the same thing. Sinn Féin supporters poured their heart and soul into attacking FG for the last nine years. Leo is a Tory, they're all posh D4 heads just feeding off the trough. They're killing people with their policies. Get them out. Out, out, out.

Now it's job done. FG are out. But the Shinners are still angry. They've achieved what they claim was their goal, but apparently don't feel any better about themselves.

FG are still the enemy. FG are doing exactly what Shinners wanted; getting out of government; but now that's not OK. They should be doing the opposite. The goalposts haven't just shifted, they've been moved to the opposite end of the pitch.

Could it be that we have a core group of detractors who are just malcontents? They hitched themselves to the Shinner wagon because it was going the same way, but really all they really wanted was to bitch and moan, and bitch and moan. They were never looking for anyone to fix anything, they just wanted a sounding board to shout at.

Now the old sounding board is being taken down and they pledged their allegiance to the new sounding board, so they don't know who to bitch and moan about any more.

Maybe we're having a good chuckle at the hubris and misfortune of FG voters who don't know how to bow out gracefully. Busy with their crystal ball and hot-take Tory boy economics telling us how Ireland is going to turn into Cuba because the country thumped their party for their demonstrable failures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

satguy wrote: »
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

Five years? LOL! If there isn't an election in the next month or so, there'll surely be one after the next budget. Wait till the real impact of Brexit bites hard and Sean/ Sinead will be on the war path.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement