Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has comedy just turned into glorified Ted Talks/shock jocks (At least on Netflix)

• 18-01-2019 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭

I had a bit of time on my hands and went through a lot of stuff on Netflix, Bill Hicks, Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, The Degenerates, Comedians of the World , even Sam Kinsion!

I can honestly say that Bill Burr is the only one who can make me laugh consistently. Otherwise I have noticed that the comedy on Netflix seems to verve between 'glorified shock jocks' who curse and shout a lot.
    (The Degenerates)
    Or the other type which is a 'glorified TED talks' a person talking about thier problems/life rambling on with little or no jokes.
    Mae Martin in particular on 'Comedians of the World' was one of these eventually I had forgotten she was supposed to be making me laugh!
    (Edit- I did a bit of research after I create this post and Martin already knows her 'comedy' is veering towards the TED talk route - ironically that made me laugh)

Is there any unique comedians with an interesting and most importantly funny take on things that I should be looking at instead?
    I have already seen Billy Connolly and his protege Kevin Bridges who are very good on other mediums. Also Dave Allen who was great in his day.
    But is there any comedians like them left?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Rory Scovel and James Acaster's Netflix stuff is great I think.

Neither of them are Ted Talky and they're definitely not shockjocky either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BackforFPL wrote: »

Thanks, I will have a look at them.

BackforFPL wrote: »

I watched a bit of Rory Scovel decent enough.

James Acaster is hilarious and has a unique style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Political Correctness is destroying comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

I can honestly say that Bill Burr is the only one who can make me laugh consistently.

I think Bill Burr is one of the all time greats. His 'Monday Morning Podcast' is great too, 90% of the time it's just him waffling away, no guest.

• Advertisement

tinpib wrote: »
    I think Bill Burr is one of the all time greats. His 'Monday Morning Podcast' is great too, 90% of the time it's just him waffling away, no guest.

I only became aware of Burr from his part in Breaking Bad.
    I often thought what himself and Des Bishop would be like on a podcast together - same type backgrounds etc (not saying Bishop is an all time great just think it would work well!) .

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Political Correctness is destroying comedy.

People have been saying that since the 90's though haven't they?

Advertisement