Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Finished Rock Band 1 again in 2 sittings. Still a landmark of a game. And I finished Run to the Hills in one go on Expert drums. Considering how out of practice I am, I was very proud of that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Finished Rock Band 1 again in 2 sittings. Still a landmark of a game. And I finished Run to the Hills in one go on Expert drums. Considering how out of practice I am, I was very proud of that! :)

I just tried and finished (81% even!) my first Rock Band song on Hard drums WOOHOO :D
    Good for me, considering I only started playing it less than a week ago :p

Oh so proud :D:D what song? There's going to be a 25 key keyboard in Rock Band 3...

Oh what's this? ROCK BAND 3

*SQUEEEEEEEEEAL*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Won the world cup with Ireland in the FIFA WC game. Seeing Paul McShane lift the trophy is one of the most funniest things I have seen in years.

Oh so proud :D:D what song? There's going to be a 25 key keyboard in Rock Band 3...

*SQUEEEEEEEEEAL*

Reptilia. Done it on a few more since :D I'm sure I could do it on guitar too if the STUPID THING hadn't run out of batteries AGAIN :mad:

:D

Oooo, a KEYBOARD? Awesome! An instrument I can actually play IRL (eh, a bit) woohoo! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Finished Red Dead Redemption there, I really was not impressed at all by it. People have been making the story out to be this amazing, immersive cinematic narrative, but I think it's utter ****e- if it was made into a movie it wouldn't stand up to Paint Your Wagon.
    The only fun I had in my whole time with it was when a friend and I went online, started a bar fight and it got messy- it's depressing to me that games are struggling to survive on the back of a fun single player experience, and instead replace it with all this achievement and 100% unlock garbage.

I was so disillusioned I went and got my Gamecube, played some Mario Kart, Resi 4 and Zelda and every thing was right again! RDR was the first game I bought in about 3 years and I really don't think I'll buy again for a long time. The last game to impress me was Metal Gear Solid 4 (the bit with the microwave tunnel was brilliant)- and I skipped all the cutscenes in that game.

It's a toss up between Zelda: WW and GTA Vice City for my favourite game ever. Both made around 2002-03, they were the pinnacle of the last generation for me. And I was at the perfect age to enjoy them too. (Yes, 13 is the perfect age to enjoy lopping off heads with a katana and mowing down pedestrians)

/tremendousgeek

I was so disillusioned I went and got my Gamecube, played some Mario Kart, Resi 4 and Zelda and every thing was right again! RDR was the first game I bought in about 3 years and I really don't think I'll buy again for a long time. The last game to impress me was Metal Gear Solid 4 (the bit with the microwave tunnel was brilliant)- and I skipped all the cutscenes in that game.

I

Gamecube <3

Mario Kart was prolly the most entertaining game of my teenage years :D

It helped that I was pretty damn good at it :cool:

Hotaru wrote: »
    Gamecube <3

Mario Kart was prolly the most entertaining game of my teenage years :D

It helped that I was pretty damn good at it :cool:

Your abilities as a gamer in my house were pratically based on how well you could play Mario Kart- 64, Double Dash, Super Circuit, DS, we had them all! Myself and a few friends had Mario Kart tournaments for about 3 summers in a row, and I'd mock up a certificate on Photoshop each time for the winner. I was a sad child...

As a result I was so into the game that eventually no-one would play it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

*SQUEEEEEEEEEAL*

Keyboards:eek: This I gotta see. Better have good keyboard songs, my mate would love some Dream Theater haha.

Cant believe Streets of Rage hasn't been mentioned. Best game ever! MArio Kart is also up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

it's depressing to me that games are struggling to survive on the back of a fun single player experience, and instead replace it with all this achievement and 100% unlock garbage.

Just not true tbh.

• Advertisement

phlegms wrote: »
    Just not true tbh.

You wanna take this outside, buddy-boy?!!

I know some people wouldn't agree with that, and I'll grant that some find the unlocking of achievements and so on quite rewarding and see them as a way to bring more value to a game. I just find that the games I used to enjoy didn't need dedicated online modes, achievement-based gameplay etc. for me to spend time with them- take CODMW2 for example: you can't deny that the single-player for that was just banged out, and then a multiplayer was thrown on the end- the majority of effort which keep online modes going isn't down to anything the developer's done, it's all player generated. Rock Band is another example- these games are simple to make, because the player is the one who does all the work.

Something like MGS 4 earns my respect because I can tell that there's been a serious effort to make the game as engaging as possible, and that my input (through online or achievement chasing) is secondary to that. If Half-Life 2 lasted for 9 hours and then the rest of your time was spent killing 250 Head Crabs so you could unlock Platinum Crowbar [available by pre-order only], it probably wouldn't be the same.

You wanna take this outside, buddy-boy?!!

I know some people wouldn't agree with that, and I'll grant that some find the unlocking of achievements and so on quite rewarding and see them as a way to bring more value to a game. I just find that the games I used to enjoy didn't need dedicated online modes, achievement-based gameplay etc. for me to spend time with them- take CODMW2 for example: you can't deny that the single-player for that was just banged out, and then a multiplayer was thrown on the end- the majority of effort which keep online modes going isn't down to anything the developer's done, it's all player generated. Rock Band is another example- these games are simple to make, because the player is the one who does all the work.

Something like MGS 4 earns my respect because I can tell that there's been a serious effort to make the game as engaging as possible, and that my input (through online or achievement chasing) is secondary to that. If Half-Life 2 lasted for 9 hours and then the rest of your time was spent killing 250 Head Crabs so you could unlock Platinum Crowbar [available by pre-order only], it probably wouldn't be the same.

I still think you're wrong.
    This generation has pretty much been the pinnacle of gaming. Nostalgia for the older games aside, the amount of critically lauded games we've seen has pretty much been unparalleled by any other generation of consoles. No denying that fact. We have also seen some of the most engaging single player narratives being explored in this generation that simply wouldn't have been possible in any other generation due to technical limitations.

Mushy wrote: »
    Keyboards:eek: This I gotta see. Better have good keyboard songs, my mate would love some Dream Theater haha.

Cant believe Streets of Rage hasn't been mentioned. Best game ever! MArio Kart is also up there.
    There's a ton of new information in that thread now if you want to check it out. I'm seriously excited. As excited as I was about GH3 during my GH2 days. Sure that turned out to be a pile of ridiculous hit window poo, but still, HYPE!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

*goes to troll Guitar Hero & Rock Band forum*

:pac:

It's actually kinda busy, it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

So Team Fortress 2 is having a free weekend. You guys should play it, they added a small unfinished training mode especially for the Mac n00bs.

Davidius wrote: »
    So Team Fortress 2 is having a free weekend. You guys should play it, they added a small unfinished training mode especially for the Mac n00bs.

From what I've heard the mac steam stuff is absolute muck in terms of optimization. Who'da thunk it...

phlegms wrote: »
    Not really tbh..
    Yes really "tbh.."

Developers are seeing that any old much is selling on the wii, so rather than putting in the time and effort to make a great game for it, they shovel crap out and slap some happy families on the front to show how much fun it is. The critics slate the game, but it passes out big names on the charts.

Really, I can't wait for all these casuals to move on to the next fad. That sounds snobbish, and it probably is, but it's also been my hobby for about 18 years, and this is hurting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Developers are seeing that any old much is selling on the wii, so rather than putting in the time and effort to make a great game for it, they shovel crap out and slap some happy families on the front to show how much fun it is. The critics slate the game, but it passes out big names on the charts.

Really, I can't wait for all these casuals to move on to the next fad. That sounds snobbish, and it probably is, but it's also been my hobby for about 18 years, and this is hurting it.

That's the way it is with many consoles, though! It's not like the Wii is the first platform with a disproportionate amount of poorly designed shovelware. Typically it afflicts the most popular platform of the season, for example the Playstation 2 was bloated with all kinds of rubbish a few years ago. It's been like that since the NES, and before that. It even extends beyond games - brainless, blockbuster sequels and factory assembled red-font-on-white-background-poster chic flicks generally make plenty more money than they should in cinemas, as does pulp fiction in bookshops.

The best thing to do if you're annoyed by these is simply to ignore them, and enjoy the parts of the medium that you do like! It can be dispiriting at times when you see Imagine: Iguanaz or some other piece of trollop outselling something special, but it's not like there aren't a healthy amount of awesome titles, too. Nintendo themselves invariably make quality games (even if they're not specifically targeted at you, like with Nintendogs or Wii Sports Resort), and always try their best to innovate and improve upon past successes, so you can hardly say they're killing games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Just moved onto the 2nd world of Mario Galaxy 2 (which, thanks to some nice trade-ins, I managed to get for free :D), and I freaking love it already :)

• Advertisement

Yes really "tbh.."

But games sales across the board have increased since the introduction of the Wii and Ds. It is definitely helping people in general get more into gaming as a whole and boosting the games economy. Just because they aren't whoring out the same old franchises over and over again doesn't mean they are "damaging" the industry. Thats just a silly and ill informed attitude to have..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

People with a genuine interest in something are always going to be annoyed by the more casual people really. You can say it's irrational and stuff but there's usually some truth to the whole "It's becoming more about getting market share from new folks than keeping current members of the group happy".
    Speaking from experience here (Oh god as a computer nerd I despise technology geeks :P).

The only reason "hard-core" gamers get annoyed at Nintendo's success is because they are bitter nerds annoyed at the growth of their one time more personal hobby. Sure Nintendo put out a lot of shovel ware, but at the same time this generation has seen the highest proportion of critically lauded games aimed at the core market than any other generation of consoles.

I love the Modern Warfare & MW2 games. I think overall, the cast, stories, set pieces are great. Online's pretty good despite only playing it a short time. Great games imo.

They're great in general. They've run out of imagination though. The sniper level in MW2 was directly copied from MW, the ending was basically the same except with a throwing knife instead of a gun.

Online is very fun though, when the spawn system actually works, and you use the clearly superior set of guns that come about due to balance issues. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Yes really "tbh.."

Since Rare went I can't remember many really great third party titles that were exclusive to Nintendo. The Gamecube did well off the back of Nintendo's first party games but I'm struggling to think of many good third party games I bought. I'm probably forgetting some. I do remember the Star Wars Rogue Squadron series which was pretty damn great though.

There is an increase in the amount of crap Nintendo themselves put their name to though. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics being one of many. But that trend started back when they released about 10 ****ing Mario Party games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Anyone ever play Deus Ex? One of the best ever games imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

flyswatter wrote: »

Indeed it is, nothing more entertaining than a storyline based around every conspiracy theory ever invented rolled up into one massive storyline :P.
    Also the skill system and augmentation canisters were awesome, refreshing to have a game in which as well as not being the best at everything from the start, it's physically impossible to level up at EVERYTHING and the amount of skill points you end up with is actually affected by how well you complete objectives and whether you go for secondary ones.

Everyone who hasn't played it, go do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 lolzNato

i'm currently hooked on Football Manager with all it's options and selection(y) goodness :D imma big geek when it comes to manager games, i get hooked, not great when you're trying to study :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Indeed it is, nothing more entertaining than a storyline based around every conspiracy theory ever invented rolled up into one massive storyline :P.
    Also the skill system and augmentation canisters were awesome, refreshing to have a game in which as well as not being the best at everything from the start, it's physically impossible to level up at EVERYTHING and the amount of skill points you end up with is actually affected by how well you complete objectives and whether you go for secondary ones.

Everyone who hasn't played it, go do so.

Also, the fact that your choices affected how the game turned out, you could always take a different option. You didn't have to go around killing everyone (like I did :)). Also, the nano technology samurai sword thing was beyond awesome. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

flyswatter wrote: »

Just finished it for the first time yesterday, bizarrely enough! 3 times, to get all the different endings. :p Awesome game, loved the plot and the way you can approach things in lots of different ways. Might have another play through it from UNATCO's perspective next time, if that's possible.

Advertisement