Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It must be hard to do social distancing this time of the year with the heatwave, my sisters family broke the rules yesterday to go to Dunmorley beach from Bandon, twas a smashing day and everyone there seemed to be social distancing well enough. Then traditionally Life festival has passed a week now and Forbidden Fruit coming up the following weekend that I've went to a few times, all cancelled this year and Body & Soul on in a few weeks.

It's not too bad. I find it's too hot to go out in the middle of the day. I was up early and I got one of my daily walks in early and I walked to the beach. I was wearing swimming togs under my clothes so I took off my clothes and went into to the sea for a dip. That was 8 o clock. Home again by 10. I met some couples out walking probably the same idea as me, getting some walking in before the heat. I got some laundry done after that and now settling for a nap. Will get a night time walk in later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

A lot of top news outlets are posting about the weakening, although they’re all from the same doctor so I’m not sure whether to believe it.

About two weeks ago,there was a couple of news articles from doctors in northern Provence of China saying something similar.
    There new cases at the time were presenting with little to no severe symptoms and a lower viral load they suspected that the virus may have mutated but further analysis was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Maybe they’re on top of the issue of blood clotting when it wasn’t known as well a couple of months back. Either way it’s positive and long may it continue.
    an ambulance driver I know said that they are having a lot of success.now treating with antibiotics and blood thinning treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

an ambulance driver I know said that they are having a lot of success.now treating with antibiotics and blood thinning treatments.

Yep, my 95 year old grandmother got it in her nursing home. No symptoms, and got through it, but was given blood thinners as a precaution. Seems if they are on top of that and post-viral bacterial infections, it may improve outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ZX7R wrote: »
    About two weeks ago,there was a couple of news articles from doctors in northern Provence of China saying something similar.
    There new cases at the time were presenting with little to no severe symptoms and a lower viral load they suspected that the virus may have mutated but further analysis was needed.

Interesting. Low viral load could also explain low case numbers for restriction free areas. Maybe more asymptomatic cases than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Either more testing is finding more cases, or the deaths are not being reported properly. Alternatively, the virus is weaker and is not causing as many fatalities.
    I'd be wary of saying it is weaker. The impacts of social distancing may be reducing the amount of virus people are getting, and so they are getting the same virus just at a lower severity.

Some people have mentioned the use of blood thinners - this is an interesting article https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

If you do ever get Covid, you want to get it last - when we know a lot more about how it infects, and what we can do to treat it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

hmmm wrote: »
    I'd be wary of saying it is weaker. The impacts of social distancing may be reducing the amount of virus people are getting, and so they are getting the same virus just at a lower severity.

Some people have mentioned the use of blood thinners - this is an interesting article https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

If you do ever get Covid, you want to get it last - when we know a lot more about how it infects, and what we can do to treat it.

Could explain the high death rate of people on ventilators. Doctors were treating the wrong type of disease, they thought it was a respiratory disease leading to pneumonia. It's now affecting more organs because it's not a respiratory disease but a blood disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

only 12 new cases reported in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

hmmm wrote: »

I actually thought about the same thing here last night when it was reported the virus is getting weaker. If its to do with the lockdowns and the social distancing measures, and other behavioural measures, maybe people are getting a lower viral dose of the infection.

I would be wary with the reports like yourself. It is good news that it's weakening but we need the medical and science field to explore this more. Like what happens if people start mixing again without social distancing measures, will the virus get stronger. I suppose we can't get too comfortable going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Could explain the high death rate of people on ventilators. Doctors were treating the wrong type of disease, they thought it was a respiratory disease leading to pneumonia. It's now affecting more organs because it's not a respiratory disease but a blood disease.

A lot of speculation going on now. Most of it inaccurate.

People on ventilators have a high death rate because if you go on a ventilator you’re very very sick.

It is a virus that causes pneumonia. Of that there is no doubt. It may cause vasculitis in some patients but doctors certainly weren’t treating the wrong type of disease. This is far from certain though. In fact one of the main treatments for vasculitis is steroids which actually seem to make people with Covid do worse.

Almost all critical illnesses make you more likely to clot, and most patients in hospital are given blood thinning medication routinely.

Social media is going full on the antibiotics and blood thinners now, the same way it was all about hydroxychloroquine before which seems to be just about useless for Covid.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    only 12 new cases reported in Northern Ireland.

They seem to have really gotten the grips on it, great news.

People on ventilators have a high death rate because if you go on a ventilator you’re very very sick.

It is a virus that causes pneumonia. Of that there is no doubt. It may cause vasculitis in some patients but doctors certainly weren’t treating the wrong type of disease. This is far from certain though. In fact one of the main treatments for vasculitis is steroids which actually seem to make people with Covid do worse.

Almost all critical illnesses make you more likely to clot, and most patients in hospital are given blood thinning medication routinely.

Social media is going full on the antibiotics and blood thinners now, the same way it was all about hydroxychloroquine before which seems to be just about useless for Covid.

A doctor in New York said people's muscles work fine being put on ventilators and it's very odd with pneumonia, normally they're so weak. Same doctor has said they thought they were treating the wrong type of disease and it has medical doctors confused because they have never seen anything like this before. That's not inaccurate speculation from a doctor.

Ireland has a much higher ventilation survival rate than the UK at the moment so I wouldn’t discount the earlier claim that doctors here have managed to use blood thinners effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A doctor in New York said people's muscles work fine being put on ventilators and it's very odd with pneumonia, normally they're so weak. Same doctor has said they thought they were treating the wrong type of disease and it has medical doctors confused because they have never seen anything like this before. That's not inaccurate speculation from a doctor.

You do realise that non operational is a HSE doctor if I'm not mistaken based from previous posts. So I'd think he / she knows what they're talking about more than you or I when they call out inaccurate speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

They seem to have really gotten the grips on it, great news.

Sure with catholic’s avoiding prods and vice versa they are 50% there with social distancing from the get go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Does anyone have any insight on how other European countries and getting on with things on a day to day level? I know about each country and their unwinding of restrictions and opening up, etc. but how are the people themselves getting on with it? Is there still a level of fear/paranoia amongst people, have things like stage exams in 3 months time been cancelled, are they queuing like us outside large DIY stores and supermarkets, is it still the most talked about topic amongst people, or are they just moving with things in a pragmatic fashion?

You do realise that non operational is a HSE doctor if I'm not mistaken based from previous posts. So I'd think he / she knows what they're talking about more than you or I when they call out inaccurate speculation

A doctor in New York is just speculating?

Ok grand, you go off the word of 1 doctor in New York.

I'll take the word of a doctor on the Irish frontline telling us what they're seeing and doing here over that over one in New York any day of the week.

If you go on a ventilator you are very weak thats not speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Nobody lives within 5km of the zoo. The gardai should stand outside the gates and send everyone home

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1267446661242126337?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No prisoners have been infected in the entire country. Prison staff have been.

I didn't realise screws got infected.

• Advertisement

Massive protest against the George Floyd killing in Dublin right now. Looks pretty social distanced and most are wearing masks.

There's lots of doctors with their own theories, some right and some will be wrong. This guy you're talking about got popular on Youtube because he was very impassioned, but it doesn't mean he's right or other doctors share his opinions - we have to rely on science which takes time, not passion - I'm sure there's probably some doctors who still think leeches were a good idea and worth a try.

Massive protest against the George Floyd killing in Dublin right now. Looks pretty social distanced and most are wearing masks.

Ah yeah plenty of distance

https://twitter.com/chloehanan/status/1267460515225272322?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

US2 wrote: »
    Nobody lives within 5km of the zoo. The gardai should stand outside the gates and send everyone home

I just got tickets for June , they are flying off the shelves .

Ah yeah plenty of distance
    And lots of chanting and shouting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

US2 wrote: »

I live within 5km of the zoo. Just stay in and don’t be worrying about everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭prunudo

People have gone mad. You'd swear he was the only person to be killed by police around the whole world. People should be putting their angst to use against issues closer to home.
    Hard to gauge distancing from that angle but probably not as bad as it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

prunudo wrote: »
    People have gone mad. You'd swear he was the only person to be killed by police around the whole world. People should be putting their angst to use against issues closer to home.
    Hard to gauge distancing from that angle but probably not as bad as it looks.

Or maybe people can protest about whatever matter they feel like protesting about? They don’t need permission from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Pretty reckless.

On the plus side most of these wasters won't have a workplace to be spreading infection within.

• Advertisement

Or maybe people can protest about whatever matter they feel like protesting about? They don’t need permission from you

Think the poster was more getting at why are they protesting here? Like what is the point when it's an issue in another country that a protest here wont make the slightest difference.

Anyway that conversation would be for a different forum but plenty of pictures and videos doing the rounds of little to no social distancing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement