Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Participants for Study

• 12-01-2021 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, my name is Aoibheann Donovan, I am currently doing a Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy in ICHAS. This year I am doing a thesis and the topic I would like to explore is the experiences of Deaf people in counselling and psychotherapy in Ireland.

Below is an information leaflet I have made.
    Information Leaflet for Participants

Researchers Name: Aoibheann Donovan

Title of Research: An exploration of the experiences of Deaf people engaging in counselling or psychotherapy with a counsellor that does not use sign language.

What the study is about:
    This study will explore the experiences Deaf people have had in a counselling setting with a counsellor who did not use sign language. The client and counsellor may have communicated through written notes, an interpreter or any other way. I would like to explore how easy or difficult it was for a client to find a counsellor. What communication methods were used? How did you feel during and after the session? Were your communication needs met?

Justification:
    There has not been enough research done around this topic within an Irish context. 2.2% of Irelands population are deaf or have a serious hearing impairment. 40-50% of the Deaf population of Ireland have experienced mental health difficulties compared to 25% for the general population. If so, why are there fewer people within the Deaf community seeking mental health services compared to the general population? The most likely answer to this question is that the appropriate services are simply not available leading to people within the Deaf community ignoring their need for help.
    I would like to develop research that may assist in improving the mental health services in Ireland for Deaf people.

How data will be used:
    Although I have studied sign language for a few years I do not have the fluency I feel would be needed to gather all the information you may want to share. Therefore, I will use an interpreter. The conversation will be recorded using an audio recorder. I will then go through the recording finding issues that need to be highlighted in order to improve the services provided for Deaf people.

What happens if you decide to take part?
    Firstly, thank you for deciding to take part! My email address is listed at the bottom of this flyer, you can email me with any further questions or to let me know you would like to take part. We can then set up a date and time to meet and have our discussion.
    The meeting will not be a strict interview with many questions you must answer, it is more of an open conversation about your experience. I have a few questions prepared if they are needed but really the big one is ‘what was your experience like?’

What happens if you decide to drop out during the study?
    Any data obtained from you can be discarded upon request.

Privacy Protection:
    You will not be asked to share any identifying information. I will not ask you to share any information you discussed during your therapy sessions. The only information I am looking for is your experience before, during and after those sessions.
    Here is an example of the questions that might be asked;
    Interview Questions
    What is your experience of counselling with a counsellor who did not use sign language?
    Sub Questions
    • What method of communication was used?
    • If interpreter- Who paid?
    • How did it make you feel?
    • How did you feel during/ after the session?
    • Did you return?

Benefits:
    You will be contributing to a study that will hopefully further the information needed to push the government to provide better mental health care resources for those in the Deaf community.

If you would like to volunteer to participate or have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Additionally, if you know someone that may wish to take part please send on my information.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi AoibheannD. I'm sorry I cannot leave this thread live as Boards is a discussion group and surveys etc are not considered appropriate to that end. Some forums would have endless survey and research threads from school homework to PhD research, so all surveys are now in one forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1250. You may wish to post in there.

We do sympathise with your desire to improve the situation of people who are deaf, but to prevent arguments for exceptions, all surveys go into the forum mentioned above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement