Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Cinema is Open again

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Exactly, wow sierra. I think feature nights would be much more popular. Girls night / guys night / fancy dress night.

Not much point in 5 of in the screen watching Rope, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Although I would happily watch every film on your list Corsendonk (only 2 I havent seen), that might be a bit niche market for a cinema in Balbriggan. I say this with nothing but love for the place, before anyone attacks me.

The fact is, more people will show up to watch Die hard than to watch You cant take it with you.

Out of curiosity, what format do the films need to be in? I know some cinema screens are dvd capable, not reels. If so, I recently bought 2 Jimmy Stewart box sets totalling 13 movies. Anyone for a Jimmy Stewart season? :D

A John Carpenter season could work, proper amount of violence and horror.

I was angling the western season to try to encourage the only part of the Irish population that has money, pensioners if you believe the banks. Quite a few people in their 60s-70s that remember cinema in Rush and Skerries with double bills of movies, you might get the nostalgia market especially if you target the old folks groups. A friend of mine parents who are in their late 70s still have a date night at the movies every week.

As much as I would love to see your boxset I don't think you can use those DVDs in a cinema as there covered by the legal page that shoots up before the movie.

http://www.screencinema.ie/news/article/sci-fi-screen

Alien - June 6th

Aliens - June 20th

Tron - July 4th

Solaris - July 18th

I'll definately go to 3 of these. Tron is only a maybe. You can bet the cinema will be packed though.

wow sierra wrote: »
    For classic movies to show in cinema (as opposed to watching at home) I would suggest:

Rocky Horror Picture show - could be done as a fancy dress event.

The Blues Brothers

The Life of Brian

Pretty Woman

Dirty Dancing

The Great Escape

Fast and the furious 1

Fight Club

I think you would need to go for really popular relatively recent films (last 30 years) rather than black and white classics. Personally I love On the Waterfront or Casablanca or the Maltese Falcon but I'm not sure they would work as an popular option for a night out in Balbriggan - or even Dublin City Centre.

Is that just an excuse to borrow the wives or gfs clothes?:D

Exactly, wow sierra. I think feature nights would be much more popular. Girls night / guys night / fancy dress night.

Not much point in 5 of in the screen watching Rope, is there?

Band of Brothers movie Marathon

• Advertisement

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Band of Brothers movie Marathon

That would be incredible. Great thinking Corsendonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

A Splatterfest(tm :D) for Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

The fact is, more people will show up to watch Die hard than to watch You cant take it with you.

Out of curiosity, what format do the films need to be in? I know some cinema screens are dvd capable, not reels. If so, I recently bought 2 Jimmy Stewart box sets totalling 13 movies. Anyone for a Jimmy Stewart season? :D

It depends on the format the distributor delivers it in, could be DVD, Hard disk or 35mm. One of the problems is we can't just pop down to the shop and grab a classic as they are only for private viewing and as such a cinema can't show them. But lots of the suggestions are available in digital formats which would be great. You have all been busy so I'll pop a note off to the boss with your comments.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Just as an aside, when will your listings be back in entertainment.ie??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dinh_Gunslinger

They're doing a special offer today, 2 for 1 on all movies :)

http://www.facebook.com/BalbrigganCinema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

blastman wrote: »

We are working on that at the moment

blastman wrote: »

Listings are now back up!

Anyone feel like dressing up like a pirate to win some free tickets?

http://www.facebook.com/BalbrigganCinema

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Well, the Balbriggan Cinema is well & truly open again.
    Best of luck to it in the future.

Thread closed.

HB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement