Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I picked MAC lipstick in Ravishing the other day and I love it! It's like a toned down version of Vegas Volt, more suitable for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Carmen Putrid Insect

I picked up this a few months ago but have just started using it lately.
    http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Wrinkle-Decrease-Collagen-Filler-30ml_16110/

I like it. At 24 I don't have a lot of wrinkles, but there's some there, albeit little ones. I was really skeptical of this but figured that it couldn't hurt to try.

Well, whatever is in it seems to plump my forehead out slightly, they're even less noticeable after using this for almost 3 weeks. However, I wouldn't hold out much hope for it tackling deeper lines than I have so, while I do like it for my skin, I don't think it would be a good product for the ages they're targeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I just ordered 2 sets of Real Techniques brushes on iHerb - and some herbal teas and interesting soaps :)

Can't wait to get them! I ordered the "On Location" and "Your Eyes/Enhanced Starter Kit"

They have good prices on EcoTools too - ordered a pumice stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Anyone know of a dupe for Bobbi Brown Gold Dust eyeshadow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Sarsx wrote: »
    Thanks so much going to give it a try! and for the real techniques brushes i cant wait for that review being dying to try them the last few weeks.

Has anyone used BH cosmetics or costal sents brushes? Any good?

I have seen a few tutorials with BH eyeshadow pallets on Reddit. They seem really pigmented and very blendable so I'm gonna be buying the 88 colour tropical pallet next pay day. They are fairly cheap for the size of them too so worth a shot I think. £21 for a pallet that size is very reasonable. I'll let ya know how I get on with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Sarsx

I have seen a few tutorials with BH eyeshadow pallets on Reddit. They seem really pigmented and very blendable so I'm gonna be buying the 88 colour tropical pallet next pay day. They are fairly cheap for the size of them too so worth a shot I think. £21 for a pallet that size is very reasonable. I'll let ya know how I get on with it :)
    Yeah i ahve the 120 eyeshadow pallette 2nd edition i think, and its great for playing around and trying out new looks!! its hit and miss on some but deffantly worth the price! Think i'll give the brushes a try in the next week or two deffantly let you know how it goes:)

Oh and the person talking about ravashing theres a dupe Revlon - Smoked peach:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Anyone know of a dupe for Bobbi Brown Gold Dust eyeshadow?

I haven't seen it in person but looking online at swatches I reckon Inglot AMC Shine in 07 could be a dupe? Its a high shine light gold that can be used for highlighting.

Oh anyone got any good countouring and highlights i could get in my local chemist or anything dont want to spend too much!?

Oh anyone got any good countouring and highlights i could get in my local chemist or anything dont want to spend too much!?

So I reckon Catrice would be your best bet. For contouring depending on your colouring they have three eyeshadows that are matte and can be used as contouring products. They are all grey/brown toned so good for contouring. Grey's Philosophy, Starlight Espresso or Go Charlie Brown. You might need to mix them together to get the right colour though.

They also do a blush in Toffee Fairy that I know very pale girls can use as a contour.

For Highlighting they do a Prime and Fine Highlighting Powder that is beautiful and I know SmokeyEyes has reviewed on her blog. They also do an Intensif´eye Wet & Dry Shadow in Vanilla Sky Ride and a regular shadow Opps Nude Did It Again, that are beautiful and can be used as a highlight.

I hope this helps :) Also just to note I dont work for Catrice or anything. I just think they are an awesome cheap brand with some great products :D

If you have a specific enquiry, please post a new thread. Keep this thread for latest purchases and reviews. Posts can get lost in mega threads like this and individual threads can encourage more discussion and easier access for newer members :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Twee. wrote: »
    If you have a specific enquiry, please post a new thread. Keep this thread for latest purchases and reviews. Posts can get lost in mega threads like this and individual threads can encourage more discussion and easier access for newer members :)

Sorry Twee! :o

No worries, just a general note, not directed at you specifically!!

Twee. wrote: »
    Also sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Breaking out quite a bit lately so I decided to invest in a concealer. Wasn't sure what was good, had used Rimmel's Hide the Blemish and didn't like it so I knew I wanted to avoid sticks. Picked up Catrice's 'Camouflage Cream' - love it! Nice texture, covers well and matches my skin and make-up perfectly! Delighted :D

Being buying NYC nail varnishes and lipsticks lately! You'd swear i worked for the company the way i go on about it to people! The lipsticks are great colour pay off is brill and there just 2.29-2.99! Nail Varnishes are 1.29 and i will admit there a bit watery and some are a little sheer until the second coat after that they are amazing! Color selection is great so many colors bright and toned down! Defiantly recommend :)<3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

GHD-Eclipse-1.JPG
    Not sure if this fits here but not sure what I've just done. Really hoping this is going to be better than previous GHDs considering it is 100 euro more :eek: I am a victim of advertising anyways :P

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Just bought Mac Studio Fix in NW10 which is one of the new shades. So glad i can finally try Mac foundations. It's still a little dark but as close matching as i'll get anywhere.
    I'm loving it. My skin is normal to dry and this suits perfectly. It needs to be set with powder and looks really flawless when it is and lasts all day. I'm so happy with it. I really hope they don't discontinue these shades

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I bought Rimmel scandaleyes waterproof kohl kajal (Or whatever it is, the black eyeliner pencil!!) and wow I must say Im really impressed! I had been using the Urban decay glide on pencil in perversion and I can honestly say that I dont see any difference bar the price! Scandeleyes is as soft, creamy, pigmented, everything as the urban decay version but for so much cheaper! Definitely going to try out a few of the other shades now :)
    Also just on the subject, is there any tips for pairing these pencils? I just used a normal topper for my urban decay but its so soft that Im cracking it by pairing it? If that makes sense..

Also, I won a Khroma beauty Kim Kardazzle palette a few months ago and just used it for the first time this week, also pleasantly surprised :) The blush is beautiful, so rich and pink :) The shadows and the bronzer are all so pigmented too, no duds whatsoever, certainly scope for creating a smokey eye! Only thing I dont like so much is the highlighter, but I dont really like powder highlighters anyway.. I prefer the full glow haha!
    kim-kardazzle.jpg

(not my picture)

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

I put my pencils in the freezer for a while before paring them - it seems to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

It's not a latest purchase or review but Deise Girl mentioning the urban decay eyeliner and paring reminded me that last week I (stupidly) asked my 10 year old son to sharpen my urban decay liner for me as it had broken and he came back with a stump:( Wouldn't mind but I barely used it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I really like the Rimmel Scandal Eyes eye-liner, and it is very black and long-lasting, but nothing can ever compare to NARS eye-liner in Via Veneto imo. I love it so much. I carry the Rimmel one around with me for touching up because I wouldn't mind as much if I lost it.

If anyone is looking for the blackest eye-liner, I would highly recommend giving NARS a try. So worth the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Novella wrote: »
    I really like the Rimmel Scandal Eyes eye-liner, and it is very black and long-lasting, but nothing can ever compare to NARS eye-liner in Via Veneto imo. I love it so much. I carry the Rimmel one around with me for touching up because I wouldn't mind as much if I lost it.

If anyone is looking for the blackest eye-liner, I would highly recommend giving NARS a try. So worth the price!

What makes it so amazing? Have only recently started using pencil eyeliner on an everyday basis, keen to figure out what makes the ideal pencil!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

kat.mac wrote: »
    What makes it so amazing? Have only recently started using pencil eyeliner on an everyday basis, keen to figure out what makes the ideal pencil!

It is really creamy so when you put it on, it just glides and the colour pay-off is excellent. I have rather watery eyes, but this does not budge and I only ever touch it up if I've smudged due to rubbing the inner corner of my eye.

It is also so black which I really like and it blends really well if you like to use eye-liner on the upper lash line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Well my Illamasqua Rich Liquid Foundation in 135 arrived yesterday*, and I'm delighted with it, especially at 23.90e compared to MAC or Estee Lauder prices.

Faceandbody-richliquidfoundation-135-main_1.jpg

It's probably the best full coverage foundation I've used; with ELDW and MAC I had to apply two layers to cover acne scarring but I only needed one layer of this and didn't need to use much concealer. With Benefit The Porefessional primer and touch-ups with Catrice powder it's lasted me 10 hours so far, and in warm weather too. The shade is perfect for me too; the Illamasqua website gives handy descriptions of each shade so you know exactly what you're getting.
    The only thing is that you definitely need to have well-exfoliated and moisturised skin and a decent primer, as it does tend to highlight dry patches. But overall I'm happy with it, and I'll definitely repurchase.

*Kudos to Debenhams delivery, I ordered this on Tuesday evening and it arrived on Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jeongeum

Being buying NYC nail varnishes and lipsticks lately! You'd swear i worked for the company the way i go on about it to people! The lipsticks are great colour pay off is brill and there just 2.29-2.99! Nail Varnishes are 1.29 and i will admit there a bit watery and some are a little sheer until the second coat after that they are amazing! Color selection is great so many colors bright and toned down! Defiantly recommend :)<3

i have been buying so many of their nail polishes they are the perfect ones for summer and dont chip for days and their like 1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jeongeum

i got these really cool Maybelline nail polishes in boots today
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1Gu1KK060g4/UZYsRYuo4DI/AAAAAAAACM0/_SPE2mcCtNU/s1600/maybelline+colour+show+polka+dots+1.jpg

and i got hair clay or paste with the hope of controlling my tuffs of fly aways whatever you want to call them
    http://www.boots.com/en/Schwarzkopf-Got2b-iStylers-Texture-Clay-75ml_1257946/

i wore the nail varnish over white nail polish and they look better so i would reccomend that because they can look a tad dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The beauty part of my birthday pressies :D

IMG_20130603_162938_zps62c82f5e.jpg

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer
    Smashbox Photo Op Eye Brightening Mascara
    MAC Paint Pot in "Painterly"
    Sally Hansen Salon Manicure in "Naked Ambition" (210)
    Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer in "Celestial"
    MAC 217 brush
    Maybelline Color Tattoo in "Taupe"
    Maybelline eyeshadow in "Beige Nude"
    Rimmel Stay Matte Long Lasting Pressed Powder in "Transparent"

Delighted :D

Some bits I got today. Some for me and some for the kit. Pretty much all new products to me bar the shampoo and conditioner. Any thoughts on the Fit Me range?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

nursemar88 wrote: »
    Some bits I got today. Some for me and some for the kit. Pretty much all new products to me bar the shampoo and conditioner. Any thoughts on the Fit Me range?

I went to boots with the intention of buying me the Fit Me foundation, but changed my mind once I tested it on my hand.
    Straight away the lightest colour was too dark for me and quite orange. I'm not very pale, I usually go for the 2nd or 3rd palest colour.
    I also didn't like the consistency on my hand. It didn't blend into my skin very well at all, and rather just stained the area I had applied it to. I was not very impressed and opted for the Revlon Nearly Naked instead.
    That's the only encounter I've had with the range though. From reading and watching reviews I've heard a few people mention that you really have to learn how to work with it to get the true benefits, and then you'll love it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

nursemar88 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the Fit Me range?

I have the 125 foundation - I absolutely hate it. It seems to slide right off my face and feels gross and slimy on my skin all day. I have replaced it and relegated it to my absolute emergency foundation!

Advertisement