Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

So its not just me that this is happening to, the wifi problem, it just drops the signal for no apparent reason. Has anyone had any way of fixing this? It seems that alot of the people on this thread have changed the router, could you let us know what kind of router you got and has it been plain sailing after the change? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

This router is terrible, I didn't notice how bad the wireless was until i got an iphone and the signal drops every 3 minutes or so.
    I have the latest firmware loaded but it makes no difference, [URL="tel:3.11.11.245"]3.11.11.245[/URL]

Eircom should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this steaming pile of crap to their paying public. I have contacted them on numerous occassions via Eircom connect about getting a replacement router but no joy.

Please let me know if anyone gets any satisfaction from Eircom about this.
    Does anyone know if they even know this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Folks that are having connection problems - what O.S. do ye have? Is there others that find other computers/laptops in their houses don't drop connection whatsoever just their own? This is what's happening to me, which proves the Router is working fine with some computers/laptops, but problem is, not with others not with my Laptop .....

Is there any way we can get an actual Eircom Techie Representative to write here and further advise on this Thread?? I've seen an odd Thread where Company Repesentatives reply on here, but if we could get an actual Eircom Techie Representative that might be something ..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

Folks that are having connection problems - what O.S. do ye have? Is there others that find other computers/laptops in their houses don't drop connection whatsoever just their own? This is what's happening to me, which proves the Router is working fine with some computers/laptops, but problem is, not with others not with my Laptop .....

i don't think O.S has anything to do with i try all them and still got drop signal vista xp mac and windows 7 all the same. i am using a netgear now at the moment sometimes drops signal on the laptop (XP) but not all the time,

Is there any way we can get an actual Eircom Techie Representative to write here and further advise on this Thread?? I've seen an odd Thread where Company Repesentatives reply on here, but if we could get an actual Eircom Techie Representative that might be something ..... :)

won't matter they will tell you it's not there router :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Oh no... I just changed over from Vodafone to Eircom cos of the NGB... Supposed to be up and running when I get home.. I will post how it works later on this evening.... if i'm able....

On a different note I have 3 Hauewei Vodafone wireless router at home and eventually had to go back to using an old Zyxel router i had in ESAT BT days as had a lot of issues with Vodafone's router..

The issue is OS independent as it is happening on my work windows XP laptop, my home Win 7 64 bit laptop and my iphone.

cork_south wrote: »
    This router is terrible, I didn't notice how bad the wireless was until i got an iphone and the signal drops every 3 minutes or so.
    I have the latest firmware loaded but it makes no difference, [URL="tel:3.11.11.245"]3.11.11.245[/URL]

Eircom should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this steaming pile of crap to their paying public. I have contacted them on numerous occassions via Eircom connect about getting a replacement router but no joy.

Please let me know if anyone gets any satisfaction from Eircom about this.
    Does anyone know if they even know this thread?

yes Eircom know m8 but by the looks of things doing nothing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

I got mine sorted, changed the router to an older motorolla eircom router a friend had laying around, works perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

on the zyxel if you change ur security settings from wpa to wep this eliminates the constant timeouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

switched from UPC to eircom because of the NGB offer.

the zyxel router is throwing up 2 issues i did not have with the UPC cisco router.
    1) my iphone when turned on stops my wifi internet radio from working. (not a static problem, i have ruled that out)
    2) my NAS (network attached storage) software will not work either. moved it to a cisco router to test yesterday and it worked in seconds.

can i use these problems to get out of my eircom contact and go back to UPC?
    t

PS my parents are having the disconnection problem about every hour or so. ill try changing the timeout and report back. (the problem is experieced on vista, win 7 and iphone platforms)

I don't have anything called WEP in the Security Type List. :( There's a few WPA's called Personal and Enterprise, and there's others called No Authentication (open) and one called Shared and also one 802.1X.

Have to say I don't remember there being that many types in that list anytime I went into that box to enter the security key etc., I recall there being 2/3 WPA's there alright but I don't know have I seen that many types in the list before that's listed now .... Wherever they came out of .... Guess I could be wrong they may always have been there but then why am I only noticing now that there's that many in the list when I didn't notice it before ...... Anyways I don't have any called WEP as a security type.

Just been re-reading a couple of these Treads on Eircom and time-out issues, but can some-one please tell me - what the f. is a ping?!?
    :rolleyes::D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

trev44 wrote: »
    switched from UPC to eircom because of the NGB offer.

the zyxel router is throwing up 2 issues i did not have with the UPC cisco router.
    1) my iphone when turned on stops my wifi internet radio from working. (not a static problem, i have ruled that out)
    2) my NAS (network attached storage) software will not work either. moved it to a cisco router to test yesterday and it worked in seconds.

can i use these problems to get out of my eircom contact and go back to UPC?
    t

PS my parents are having the disconnection problem about every hour or so. ill try changing the timeout and report back. (the problem is experieced on vista, win 7 and iphone platforms)
    Yes, you can use this to get out of your contract. The device they gave you is not fit for purpose. i have the same problems as you. for months i have been back and fourth with eircom about it. Eventually they said theres nothing more they can do and i can op out o my contract without penalty. but im renting an apartment. i dont intend to stay here for another year so i dont want another contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I fixed my problems with the Zyxel modem ........................ I bought a Netgear DG834PN on Adverts for €30 and haven't had a problem since .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

You know, the Zyxels have design flaws. Did you ever crack one of them open? Feck all heat syncs. The antennae on the back is larger then the other versions of the modem produced but I believe the power was not increased internally. So in affect the larger antennae weakens the wireless signal.

The modem part of it is sound (if not low quality). It's amazing that iknorr got that statement out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kv

Right I began noticing problems soon after receiving the Zyxel router to replace my old Netopia, which gave up the ghost after a solid 3 - 4 years.
    I was having continuous disconnects from Xbox Live and went online to search for a solution. I landed on this thread but ultimately none of the solutions solved my problem. I began to think back to how my old Netopia used to connect to my Xbox, when I realised it wasn't set up on a WPA or WPA2 network, it was on a WEP network. I changed my network settings back to WEP (default must be WPA) and since then I've have been having a solid uninterrupted connection.

Instuctions to change settings as follows:

1: Type 192.168.1.254 in your browser search bar.
    2: You will prompted for a password, by default its broadband1
    3: Now click on the "Network" button on the left side of the page and from the list select "Wireless LAN"
    4: Go to the "Security Mode" selection and from the drop down menu select "Static WEP"
    5: Now you need to choose a 'passphrase', this isnt too important, it can really be anything. Type in your passphrase and hit the "Generate" button.
    6: You will be given a 10 digit WEP key. Take this down somewhere handy.
    7: Finally, hit the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page.

Voila, you are now set up on a WEP network, which should keep those half hourly disconnects at bay.

You must now change your Xbox network connection in which you will be required to type in your new WEP key.

I hope this solves most of your problem.

PS. I didn't change any of the default setting apart from the ones mentioned above.

Thats one way around it but, you using a less secure system now because eircom couldnt be bothered sorted out the problems with this device.

jonski had the second best solution to this problems - buy urself a netgear router.

I have the best solution....opt out of ur contract and move to UPC if they are available in ur area.

You know, the Zyxels have design flaws. Did you ever crack one of them open? Feck all heat syncs. The antennae on the back is larger then the other versions of the modem produced but I believe the power was not increased internally. So in affect the larger antennae weakens the wireless signal.

The modem part of it is sound (if not low quality). It's amazing that iknorr got that statement out of them.

I have been in contact with their tech support since last January. Sending emails on and off for months about problems with this router.
    I think i was one of the first to get some other firmware they had for the router..it solved alot of problems, definately made it function better but its still not 100%. i have given time and effort and lots of feedback and suggestions to tech support and all i get was a sorry there nothing more we can do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 msprim

I have the same Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 modem and i am having the same problems as everyone else. The internet connection keeps dropping and it's so annoying. I have contacted EircomConnect who have said to try a few things - i doubt they will work after reading this thread. I think i will buy a new router - it seems like the only solution as Eircom won't do anything about it. If we could get the updates and install them to the modem it might be something.

I have only had this current internet connection for 6 weeks. I had no problems with the Netopia router the last 2 times i was connected to Eircom and i would have quite happily recommended them to anyone but now it's a different matter.

Let's hope Eircom get's the message and actually gets some routers/modems that actually do their job (which i doubt).

Sorry for the rant but i have been trying to resolve the issue for 5 weeks and i am seriously annoyed as i feel like i am being ripped off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

has anyone got out of an eircom contract because of these issues? i would like to go back to UPC. (all is forgiven)
    t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Daire84

Hey guys,

Firstly, im sorry for the long winded post, i appreciate anyone taking time to read.

Just read back over every page of this thread... Amazing its been going on this long and nothing has been done about it. Funny too, because i called eircom today in disgust (after lagging out of my 17th game of halo) and the rep just asked the usual stupid questions 'is your modem plugged directly into the main line?' etc.
    Guaranteed this was not the first phonecall he has had regarding this problem, yet he maintained it was all new to him and didnt know what to say, so of course i was handed over to the 'engineers'... as of yet i am still waiting to hear from them, not that they will do much good.

Apart from that, I have tried all of the aforementioned solutions, such as Changing the NAT time, changing the idol timeout, the reauthentication timeout, amongst others... yet i am still having the same problem...

My problem comes in this order... i am on a Mac, so my airport drops signal and then starts seeking signal, thats when i know it is doing the infamous resetting.. i look to my modem, the internet light and dsl light and throwing a wobbler... then all i am left with is the wifi light... Subsequently the DSL light will start to throb back on until becoming solid... then my internet light starts to struggle back to life, and im back in...
    Now, i am by no means getting a steady half hour before it happens again, it can happen 10 mins later, infact, there seems to be no particular time pattern..
    This leads me to the question, am i having the same problem, or is this something else, like a problem with the isp in general? Or could it be something entirely different then the modem? Oooor is this pretty much the same pattern everyone else has been going through... again sorry for the long winded post, i appreciate anyone taking the time to read. As this problem is beyond frustrating at this stage..

We need to start a revolution!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I posted in this thread previously that i had the exact same disconnect problems, tryed everything, firmware updates and what not

Eventually got onto a sound lad from dublin from their tech support and he agreed to replace the zyxel router with an netopia one

Voila not a disconnect since and that was months ago, the zyxel one disconnected like 5 times an hour and I have perfect line stats

Yeah man, i think i might have to go down the same route...

Its a disgrace that it has to come to that... with the money were all asked to pay for a service, as much as id love to void my contract, im stuck because of course eircom are they only 'half decent' broadband provider in my area, cause stupid ntl are not in my area yet...

Will update later with news on new router. I cant see another solution coming any time soon...

Right, so after extensive investigation lastnight and early this morning... After trying everything i read in these boards, I think i have found something that seems to work for me anyway. I had one reset in the space of 6 hours according to my log. which is better then the 5 an hour i was having.

The solution is similar to what many people have already suggested.
    I changed the Group Key Update Timer from i think it was 1800 to 9999 (the max allowed) and hit apply, and hey presto.. It seems to be working. One reset in 6 hours...

I came across this basiclly because i was at my wits end having tried all previous suggestions.. So i seen under the 'ReAuthentication Timer' and the 'Idle Timeout' bit that nobody had mentioned or tried to change the Group Key Update Timer, probably because it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with timing out? So i just googled 'Group Key Update Timer' and noticed many threads questioning what this was!
    Many of the replies where something along the lines of connectivity, resetting client something or other and techno jargon that i didnt quite understand, but it did seem to be something to do with the problem i was having, so i simply changed the time to max allowed and here i am now!

I hope this is not premature delightment.... But i will keep ye posted over the next 24 hours and let you know.

Hope this can help some people out there who were and are as frustrated as i was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Having had the same issues as everyone else on this thread and having tried various methods to fix them i came to two conclusions. Firstly i recommend the dgnd3300v2 netgear router with the n adaptor for xbox live. Secondly for the love of god get the hell away from Eircom asap

i got this zyxel modem back in January. i have been talking with eircom tech support forum and over the phone on and off for almost 9 months. not solution could be found for the modem restarting. ( i was never offered a netopia replacement though) I also had problems with uPnp, Dnla, wifi connectivity issues such as Android phones having problems staying connect to the wifi, and media sharing worked about 5% of the time.

originally these problems were overlooked due to the appalling broadband speeds around cork city for the first 3 months i had eircom. 7mb line and i was getting less than 1mb with a ping of over half a second. Eircom also told me they would refund me the cost of BB for each month i was having this problem. i never received a refund.

2 months ago i asked tech support about opting out of contract because the device was not fit for purpose. i got no reply. I contact them again a few weeks later. I got a reply with a number and a sorry it has come to this , sorry we couldnt find a solution.
    Rang the number. Spoke to someone about it. She acknowledged correspondence from tech support for the last few months and said she didnt have the authority to let me opt out.
    A "manager" called me back about 10 days later. Asking me why im complaining about eircoms service. She made it sound like it was my fault and that i didnt know what i was doing. I brought up my tech support history with eircom. She said she doesnt have access and it doesnt matter as tech support never said anything to her about me opting out of contract.
    This went on for a few minutes....I honestly felt *drum role* like crying cos i got so worked up over her and her attitude towards me. Then I remembered the NGB letter i got which clearly states i can opt out of contract without penality due to a change in eircoms service.
    I told her about this letter, she denied she ever heard of it. i asked her for her email address so i could forward it on. She wouldnt give it to me. i asked her for her number also but wouldnt give me that either.
    The conversation came to an end with her saying that if she finds a record of the letter she will cancel. I asked about cancelling what? broadband or the entire package/line rental etc and she wouldnt answer me straight. It pretty much ended there with my broadband and phone being cut off an hour or so later.
    I also knew i had to return the modem to eircom. no one gave me an address. i rang them yesterday about it. i got the address and also they said a final bill is on the way out to me. A bill for what i asked but the girl wasnt to sure. They said they might ow me money or i might ow them money. Waiting in limbo now!

Anyhoo,

Im now a happy customer with UPC. 15mb broadband, unlimited downloads and a ping half the time of eircoms ping and over double the speed of eircoms "up to" speed.

Oh and its also over half the price of eircoms broadband. I was foolish to choose Eircom. I choose them just because they were "Irish" and my parents had them for years. I was afraid to try UPC even though i heard good things about them. I learnt the hard way.
    UPC are a far better company than Eircom.

EDIT: forgot to add
    When i connected all my devices to the UPC router. They just worked, everything could see each other. The only settings i changed was to disable firewall and enable uPnp. ( there is a small issue with between wired and wifi) but if everythin is on wifi then its fine. many a night i spent being pissed off with the Zyxel as i thought i was doing something wrong.

Read every-one's replies to get an idea of what's happening in their individual scenario, but much are pretty much the same me thinks. Don't know if your problem is isolated/different/same but all I can speak of is my personal scenario which I've outlined already, is, where I'd lose connection every single half-hour of the day on the button lol, and it would re-connect again 2-3 minutes later. So maybe your problem is different?

From somebody suggesting it here I changed the Re-authentication Timer from 1800 to 9999, and I'm now getting 2hours44minutes of connectivity before I time out, which is a great great help to the day and having Laptop turned on etc., where before, I did have to go and refresh all tabs/windows and stuff I'd been working on every single half an hour, where-as now I only have to do that every 2hours 44 minutes or so, which is a great difference, so thank you whoever suggested that! :) Actually let me just add here, like I know that if ya left your computer, went off and came back again that you'd probably have to refresh your tabs/windows anyway to refresh and update the stale info. as such, I know that, but what I mean is the 3/4 tabs I'd have open would actually go that annoying white page "Internet Explorer cannot display this page," as soon as the dis-connect kicks in.

I have just changed the Group Update Timer to 9999, so will see over the next couple of days if that brings me more un-interrupted connectivity. Wow 6 hours would be magnificent! I wouldn't know myself! I'd feel like I'd gone out and bought a new Router lol!! :)

But you should never have to do any of this.

Eircom are laughing at us all . Buying ****ty routers and not giving the support to the people using them.

If this was america, eircom would be brought to court over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

iknorr wrote: »
    But you should never have to do any of this.

Eircom are laughing at us all . Buying ****ty routers and not giving the support to the people using them.

If this was america, eircom would be brought to court over this.

I don't reckon it's the fault of tech support on this one. They are just phone mon keys after all. It's whoever tested teh modem and gave the ok who should get the flak.

• Advertisement

Eircom are aware of how sh1t these routers are for a long long time. :mad:

Advertisement