Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

One thing I've noticed going back to the Voyager is that it will change the connection rate to ensure a minimum of 6db SNR.

When I was looking at the web interface on the Zyxel, it seemed consistently trying to connect at the 8Mbit rate, which might have been too high if there was a lot of noise on the line. Whereas the Voyager will drop to a 7500 etc. connection to maintain the 6db margin.

(You can tweak the target SNR margin in the voyager by telnetting into the command line interface and "adsl configure --snr x", where the default for x is 100. If you set it to 80 instead, it will drop the target SNR from 6 to 5, and you may be able to connect at a higher speed, at the expense of being more vulnerable to dropouts from noise on the line. You can see the current connection rate using "adsl info".)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

V6DEC wrote: »
    Change the following on the ZyXEL to see if it helps with disconnects:

From the modem default configuration screen http://192.168.1.254 -Select Network-NAT and change the default value of 512 to 2048 for "Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User" - Apply/Save the settings and see how that goes.

This worked for me back in March, and ive had no issues with connection dropping, or pages timing out since then.....until now! :mad:

Have Eircom done something in the last week/10days that may have affected the ZyXel router? Because i have done nothing to cause it!

Can that Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User number be set higher than 2048? Could that be the problem?

I just checked my modem configuration, and my Max firewall session had reverted back to 512! How the hell did that happen?:eek::eek:

Ive changed it back to 2048 so we'll see if that solves the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

V6DEC wrote: »
    Change the following on the ZyXEL to see if it helps with disconnects:

From the modem default configuration screen http://192.168.1.254 -Select Network-NAT and change the default value of 512 to 2048 for "Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User" - Apply/Save the settings and see how that goes.

Seems to be working well for me since yesterday after applying this change - hopefully it's not a coincidence...

Mine is working fine again too, im just curious as to why it reverted back to 512 in the first place, weird. :confused:

• Advertisement

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Mine is working fine again too, im just curious as to why it reverted back to 512 in the first place, weird. :confused:
    Maybe it's another "feature" of the ericom firmware.....
    Did you power cycle the modem since you made the original change ?

Power cycle? Like bring it to a spinning class?:P:D:D

You'll have to elaborate for me mate. ;)

Sorry bout that !
    Power cycle: turn it off and back on. (Well - that's what it means in my head anyhow :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blackaardvark

hynsey wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I had the line dropping issue, at regular intervals. After loads of searching in google on that ZyXel modem, someone said it can happen if you have WPA configured. When it attempts to reauthorise (at regular defined intervals) it was dropping connection to my laptop.

I would suggest changing to static WEP just to test and see if this resolves the dropping issue - it did for me.

This had better be the answer I'm looking for, I've got a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 with the latest firmware (3.70) with eircom which is randomly disconnecting every hour or so. My old netopia was much slower so if I can keep the speed improvement for playing xbox I'll be happy.

What alarms me is the complete lack of answers out there to this problem. I've spent the last 3 hours driving myself mad thinking I had somehow misconfigured my port forwarding.

WEP is hopelessly insecure but I guess as long as no-one near me has a live cd then I should be ok with a really awkwardly long passphrase* :pac:

*That's assuming it works

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

My problem is everyday I boot up my modem I have to run network diagnostics to connect to the web.
    Everyday I see the yellow triangle placed over my network icon with unidentified network and no access to the web.

This modem is the biggest piece of crap I have ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I got this sent out today as a replacement for my old netopia

Wont be able to test it until tomorrow, hope its not as bad as people say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Rebel021 wrote: »
    My problem is everyday I boot up my modem I have to run network diagnostics to connect to the web.
    Everyday I see the yellow triangle placed over my network icon with unidentified network and no access to the web.

This modem is the biggest piece of crap I have ever had.
    I've seen the exact same problem with wireless on the old netopia. Try changing the wireless settings on the router itself, like choosing a new password or encryption method. Or even telling it to broadcast on a specific wireless channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭j_nolan

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me.

I'm on a pretty old Netopia and my wireless keeps cutting out. Or, rather, it keeps knocking out my DSL Sync.

With ethernet, there's no problem, I can surf all day. But when I use the wireless, it cuts out pretty regularly at two minute intervals.

Now, I know this is similar to what some of you are experiencing, but I haven't got a new modem. I've had this same one for years and it's always worked fine.

I don't know what to do. I've tried changing settings, changing passwords, all sorts of ****, but nothing seems to work. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

just got hold of some of these today, and installed and configured them, much more features than the netopia, however it shows the line as having slightly higher attenuation.

it seems to work quite well, no issues (yet) plenty of options for configuring, and also you can leave remote access to the router enabled all the time, with the netopia, if you power cycle it, you need to connect to the netopia on the lan and renable the remote access.... however with the zyxel you can leave it on permanently.!!:D

update on router, its useless.

wireless is a nightmare and im getting packetloss gaming

its also dropping alot, horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Sorry to be draggin' up thread but if ye have got yere problems solved and sorted out if it's same or similar to mine @ Perlico Dis-connectivity, can ye please please let me know!

Am no whizz-kid lol, but if we're having the same problem, surely some-one with the know-how can identify where the problem lies and help us out! I'm going insane here!! It's near impossible to do any-thing, when you keep having to re-do everything and ya don't know where yer at half the time when ya lose the connection lol!

I shall read yere Threads later when I have more time and see can I pick up on anything. :)

Sorry to be draggin' up thread but if ye have got yere problems solved and sorted out if it's same or similar to mine @ Perlico Dis-connectivity, can ye please please let me know!

Am no whizz-kid lol, but if we're having the same problem, surely some-one with the know-how can identify where the problem lies and help us out! I'm going insane here!! It's near impossible to do any-thing, when you keep having to re-do everything and ya don't know where yer at half the time when ya lose the connection lol!

I shall read yere Threads later when I have more time and see can I pick up on anything. :)

I rang them up about the router and they admitted seeing this thread, the router was really poor and it was alot cheaper to get those routers than the old netopia ones..

They`ve sent me out a new motorola router, dont no the model yet as i havent been home all week, but i`ll let ya know it goes.

If your gona try get a new router be sure to stick alot of technical gobble down there throats..

p.s I had the latest firmware installed but it was still crapping out

Motorola router is actually the netopia one. I guess netopia bought them or they work together?

Anyway its a slightly different model but reports from home are it hasnt dropped all week, even once.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

hi all i am having the same trouble here with the eircom router Model Number: P-660HW-T1 v3ZyNOS Firmware Version: V3.70(BOE.3)D0 | 03/30/2010

keeps laggin and knocking me off the ps3 on line any fix on this cause it is getting very anoying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Hi

I found a soloution for the Zyxel Routers maybe it's not for everyone but it works.Login and Disable the Wireless Side of this Router in the Advanced settings then connect one of the Ethernet ports to Wlan type router such as an Aztech or similar use this for your Wireless. I have done this for a few people it's working perfectly with no lagging or intermitent disconnects hope this helps

Martin12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Sorry, Martin - do you mean using two routers at once?

Another here with problems. Had an old Netopia but it died. Eircom sent their new one out as a replacement and I've had nothing but problems with it. My connection is a total mess, dropping out again and again.

Out of curiosity, can you just buy another router and use that with Eircom? I ask that without having any idea what routers cost but I've been around the block with Eircom in the past and a router fight is something I'd like to avoid.
    TIA

I mean a Router without Dsl one that has 1 Ethernet Port In and 4 Out check out Aztech 3g Routers as said this combination works well use your Zyxel with wireless turned off and loop it through Aztech Router for Wireless works perfectly hope this helps

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BeefJerkyX wrote: »
    Sorry, Martin - do you mean using two routers at once?

Another here with problems. Had an old Netopia but it died. Eircom sent their new one out as a replacement and I've had nothing but problems with it. My connection is a total mess, dropping out again and again.

Out of curiosity, can you just buy another router and use that with Eircom? I ask that without having any idea what routers cost but I've been around the block with Eircom in the past and a router fight is something I'd like to avoid.
    TIA

Yes you can buy a combined dsl modem/router and use it no problem. You will need to insert some basic settings which are avaiable on the Eircom website.

A friend of mine was having trouble using the Zyxel model and we substituted a netgear one and he did not have any further problems.

This link will give you some examples. http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php

Hi all. Wondering if you could help me. I play online on the Xbox 360 and I'm having trouble getting the NAT settings to Open or even Moderate. I've tried the suggestions on Zyxel's site eg. Enable UPnP, I've tried port forwarding and setting firewall rules. Anyone got any ideas? Much appreciated.
    Joe.

Netgear DG834G ADSL2+ Switch/Firewall Router highly recommended one of the only Routers that will work on poor quality phone lines and not drop dsl sync personally I would go for Aztech Router 300 Mbps N wireless hope this helps

Thanks for the help and advice, guys. I'll probably call Eircom to log the problem and then just get a new router myself to avoid further hassle. Cheers.

Hi all. Wondering if you could help me. I play online on the Xbox 360 and I'm having trouble getting the NAT settings to Open or even Moderate. I've tried the suggestions on Zyxel's site eg. Enable UPnP, I've tried port forwarding and setting firewall rules. Anyone got any ideas? Much appreciated.
    Joe.

hi joe log into the router go to security then firewall and click the off tab then ok your NAT will be open :) i have done this for my ps3

hope that helps let me know

still getting downtime on this router this is not good for eircom if this was my isp i will get rid of them and tell them where to but this zyxel router but it's my mother inlaws eircom get your act together and replace this router with a good one not this peice of s##t :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well I bit the bullet and just went and bought the router Martin recommended above (Netgear DG834G). It was ridiculously easy to set up and works like a dream. Great connection at any point in the house and not one problem since setting it up.

While I hate the idea of just letting Eircom away with their godawful Zyxel routers, for anyone looking for an easy life, I'd recommend doing the same.

Thanks again to Martin for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

I have a zyxel p-660 v3 router and it refuses to work over wifi. I was on to eircom and after many calls, an engineer dropping out and a replacement of the router (with the same model) it still refuses to allow wifi to tx/rx over it.

I've tried changing the wifi channels (tried every channel) disabling firewall, restoring factory settings, shouting at it etc and nothing helps. Asked Eircom for a different replacement model (netopia, earlier model etc.) but they dont have any others now.

Think I'll have to bite the bullet and buy my own router. These Zyxel's are absolutely terrible and eircom should take a long hard look at themselves for supplying duff gear. Can't believe I'm paying for this service it's shocking.

Advertisement