Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It was shipped from Athens according to the paperwork on delivery - shipped overnight via TNT at no additional cost to me....

Excellent. How did you find setting it up, in terms of your pressure settings, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LittleGarry

corwill wrote: »
    Excellent. How did you find setting it up, in terms of your pressure settings, etc?

Wasn't an issue at all. 5 mins "research" on Youtube showed me how to get into the clinical menu on the machine. I just went into this menu on the rental machine and copied settings across to the new one. The most important are the pressure settings (which I knew from prescription anyway) the rest are mainly comfort settings - ramp time / humidifier settings / tube temp etc I would imagine, if you are not comfortable doing this, and if you know your pressure settings that the store would set it up with relevant settings before despatch - drop them a mail to confirm obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Wasn't an issue at all. 5 mins "research" on Youtube showed me how to get into the clinical menu on the machine. I just went into this menu on the rental machine and copied settings across to the new one. The most important are the pressure settings (which I knew from prescription anyway) the rest are mainly comfort settings - ramp time / humidifier settings / tube temp etc I would imagine, if you are not comfortable doing this, and if you know your pressure settings that the store would set it up with relevant settings before despatch - drop them a mail to confirm obviously.

Great, sounds no more complicated than the S9 Autoset, which I find pretty straightforward. Even in the context of sleep apnea, I do love a new gadget!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Did you have to 'add on' the water chamber ie. was it extra?

You might have had the accessories already did you? I'd be moving from a different brand so I'd probably need to buy all these extras too, maybe even tube & mask? or is the tube connection standardized?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LittleGarry

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Did you have to 'add on' the water chamber ie. was it extra?

You might have had the accessories already did you? I'd be moving from a different brand so I'd probably need to buy all these extras too, maybe even tube & mask? or is the tube connection standardized?

I had the heated tube / mask / humidifier water chamber as these were supplied FOC as "consumables" with the rental machine - these items therefore did not need to be returned under my rental contract.
    With regard to tube connection I honestly don't know if they are interchangeable as I have never used any other machine - if you email supplier with query I'm sure you would get a prompt response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Hi everyone, just this week been diagnosed with moderate to severe sleep apnea. 27 episodes per hour. Waiting on a call back from consultant to discuss prognosis, presume I'll be using a cpap machine. Are the results as good as I'm hearing? I'd give anything to not be constantly tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

houseplant wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just this week been diagnosed with moderate to severe sleep apnea. 27 episodes per hour. Waiting on a call back from consultant to discuss prognosis, presume I'll be using a cpap machine. Are the results as good as I'm hearing? I'd give anything to not be constantly tired.

You won't look back. A little getting used to. But 100%success . Go for it..
    Can't remember mine but they were multiples of yours.and zero problem since I started on cpap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Yep.... it becomes second nature on hitting the pillow. Eventually feel like u on the beach with a warm mediatereen breeze flowing over you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Masala wrote: »
    Yep.... it becomes second nature on hitting the pillow. Eventually feel like u on the beach with a warm mediatereen breeze flowing over you!

Ah here...what are you injecting into your machine 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes, results good as long as u use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

has anyone tried mouth taping? can check youtube for demos. Ill need to get my hands on a reliable sleep measuring gismo to see if it makes any difference to sleep quality.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seagull01

Does anyone have a problem with the air supply becoming so forceful that it lifts the mask off your face? Or even makes your cheeks bellow out if you have your mouth open? This is the main thing that stops me getting through the night with a machine. It usually needs to be switched off, mask re-positioned and switched on again. And even then it might come back again. More often that not, it results in me taking the mask off for the night. I'm wondering if there's actually something wrong with the machine.

Has anyone else experienced that?

Yes it happens to me quite a lot. My airflow is 16 and I would reach that most nights so the mask lifting off my face is common. I hardly notice now I just adjust the mask and the pressure drops a bit once im breathing normally.

Seagull01 wrote: »
    Yes it happens to me quite a lot. My airflow is 16 and I would reach that most nights so the mask lifting off my face is common. I hardly notice now I just adjust the mask and the pressure drops a bit once im breathing normally.

Yep.

Perhaps it is ramping up too quick? By the time it's at my max (12) I'm asleep. If I wake in the night then it seems really powerful.

Advice is reset ramping while you get back to sleep.

And tighten it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

You won't look back. A little getting used to. But 100%success . Go for it..
    Can't remember mine but they were multiples of yours.and zero problem since I started on cpap

Not my experience at all. I couldn't sleep with it, felt much, much worse than before I started and eventually gave it up after 3 months of feeling dog rough. My score was 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

trashcan wrote:
    Not my experience at all. I couldn't sleep with it, felt much, much worse than before I started and eventually gave it up after 3 months of feeling dog rough. My score was 41.

It took me 5-6 months, but so worth it, its like a sleeping pill, once the air flows I'd say I'm asleep in a couple of minutes. The odd time when the pressure is high, I'll wake up, but just do a reset and back to sleep.
    I was 32 prior but averaging 4 - 4.5 now.
    Different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

trashcan wrote: »

Yeh I didn’t find it immediately helpful and was diagnosed as mild to severe I think.

I went into the consultant after a month or so to ask if it should be so difficult to sleep or if I should be seeing major benefits. I think I just wanted him to reassure me it got better cause I was finding it hard to get used to the machine.

Consultant said that I should be loving the machine and the information on the machine showed it fixed my apnea. Then he said I might aswell stop using machine if I wasn’t feeling the benefits. I was surprised but I didn’t think a consultant would advise this if they didn’t have the knowledge or experience to know that this was the right course of action.

My doctor was disgusted and suggested that perhaps the the consultant was journeyman as he had already moved on from the hospital. Been trying to get back on the list for over a year!

Does anybody have periods where their apnea isn’t that bad ? I mean I noticed over the summer that I felt relatively rested and wake up not to bad. But it sort of feels like maybe the weather has changed somehat and I’m waking up more tired. Some mornings my arms can be a bit numb and mouth very dry. There are multiple reasons this could be the case (stress, sleeping on arm etc) but just wanted to see if others notice seasonal apnea getting better/worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

does anyone find diet plays a part? mine cleared up after changing what I eat , I put a sleep tracking app on my phone recently and only have some low level light snoring, no chainsaw stuff.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Hi, first time posting on this thread but have been keeping an eye on it the last while. Interesting reading.

Went to doctor originally in October 2016 re: nearly constant state of tiredness, falling asleep in cinema/work/not long after sitting down at home etc. I got called for a (joke of a) meeting with the consultant in February of this year and he thought I might have mild Apnoea and referred me to the sleep clinic. Still no reply back yet. I've since gotten private health insurance but I guess will be barred from seeking treatment/investigations as it's a pre-existing condition?

What are people's experiences with waiting times on public list?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yeh I didn’t find it immediately helpful and was diagnosed as mild to severe I think.

I went into the consultant after a month or so to ask if it should be so difficult to sleep or if I should be seeing major benefits. I think I just wanted him to reassure me it got better cause I was finding it hard to get used to the machine.

Consultant said that I should be loving the machine and the information on the machine showed it fixed my apnea. Then he said I might aswell stop using machine if I wasn’t feeling the benefits. I was surprised but I didn’t think a consultant would advise this if they didn’t have the knowledge or experience to know that this was the right course of action.

I went back to the consultant on Friday for my six month review off the machine. What they said to me back in March was that although I had apnoea my "tiredness" symptoms weren't actually that bad. I saw a young doctor (honestly looked like he was just out of school, I must be really getting old) firstly on Friday, who was saying much the same thing, not that great a risk of stroke, and not worth it if it was affecting my sleep that badly. He then went off to get his more senior colleague, who persuaded me to give it another try, this time using nasal pillows which I hadn't tried before. I have synus issues,(had septoplasty surgery during the summer which hopefully has solved that) so am not at all sure how this will work out, but we'll see. Not looking forward to it after last time to be honest.

cefh17 wrote: »
    Hi, first time posting on this thread but have been keeping an eye on it the last while. Interesting reading.

Went to doctor originally in October 2016 re: nearly constant state of tiredness, falling asleep in cinema/work/not long after sitting down at home etc. I got called for a (joke of a) meeting with the consultant in February of this year and he thought I might have mild Apnoea and referred me to the sleep clinic. Still no reply back yet. I've since gotten private health insurance but I guess will be barred from seeking treatment/investigations as it's a pre-existing condition?

What are people's experiences with waiting times on public list?

I was waiting about a year between the first appointment, the overnight monitor and then the full overnight sleep clinic assessment as far as I remember, but then I wasn't in any hurry to do it. Was waiting a few months after that to get the results and the machine.

Just on your second point, as I mentioned in the previous post I had a septoplasty procedure in the summer (straightening a deviated septum in case you were wondering) and I was able to go private with that, wasn't treated as a pre existing condition.

• Advertisement

So I've just done my first week with my new CPAP machine, and I think it's comfortable and don't have a problem sleeping with it on. My events are way down from 27 to around 1.5 per hour, snoring has pretty much stopped, little or no leakage from mask and I'm getting 7 - 8hrs per night.
    I don't feel any better though, no more energy and I'm worried I won't get fixed. How long has it taken others to see an improvement in energy levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

So I've just done my first week with my new CPAP machine, and I think it's comfortable and don't have a problem sleeping with it on. My events are way down from 27 to around 1.5 per hour, snoring has pretty much stopped, little or no leakage from mask and I'm getting 7 - 8hrs per night.
    I don't feel any better though, no more energy and I'm worried I won't get fixed. How long has it taken others to see an improvement in energy levels?

I got an almost immediate improvement. No more tiredness during the day.

Glebee wrote: »
    I got an almost immediate improvement. No more tiredness during the day.

OK. I was worried I'd get this answer. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

It did take me a good few attempts to get using the machine though. At the start I was saying that there was no immediate improvements and I did not need the machine but I was only fooling myself. It has made a big improvement to my level of energy / tiredness. I used be be falling asleep in the car on the way into work....:eek::eek: If I sat don on the sofa at home for a few minutes I was asleep. All this has stopped so it must be working

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

houseplant wrote:

Don't worry, ya seem to be doing great, it took me 3 months or more to get your results. It will take 3 weeks of good readings for your body / mind to catch up.
    Believe me it's worth it!!

drake70 wrote: »
    currently €144.00

Just been reduced to 134.00

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carrighead

hi, I've just been diagnosed with sleep apnea with 36 episodes per hour and I think he said my oxygen was 86% but not too sure about that. I've been looking online for info about the cost of the machine, cost of renting, will vhi cover any of the cost, but I'm not really seeing any prices? i saw that someone got a machine abroad, would the consultant be able to monitor me with that? He mentioned that he would be getting results from resmed. I'm new to all this, and worried about the cost implication of it all. I don't think I have much choice as my blood pressure is through the roof.

A typical machine costs 100-110 per month. This counts towards your DPS limit of 134 per month, so if your family already gets medication regularly, the cost of that plus cost of the rental is added together and you only pay the first 134 per month. 

You could also buy outright for 1500-2000 or get abroad  refurbished for less than that.

A typical machine costs 100-110 per month. This counts towards your DPS limit of 134 per month, so if your family already gets medication regularly, the cost of that plus cost of the rental is added together and you only pay the first 134 per month. 

You could also buy outright for 1500-2000 or get abroad  refurbished for less than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

What sort of machine is 1500-2000? I rented for 4/5 months when I was first diagnosed in 2012 but then bought outright from the UK for 700-800 for a Philips Resmed System One with humidifier renting is a total con aimed at milking the medical card system as far as I'm concerned.

I asked the co renting me mine at the time to let me buy it at a discount as I'd already rented for several months I sent them the price I was paying in the UK and asked to match and they would have none of itso I sent it back and have been using ever since.

I'm also fortunate that I travel to the US a bit with work and buy my consumables when there. Its a completely different experience I changed masks and didn't like it and was able to return for a full refund and try another! Similiar happened when I started here on CPAP the nurse came from the rental company and mesured me and gave me a size too small I had to change within weeks and had to purchase a second mask with no entertaining of a refund on the first.

Advertisement