Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your irish 23 for the 2019 rugby world cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'm surprised Olding isn't among the 'new' names.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

jacothelad wrote: »

Would love to include him but his injury record is just horrific. I don't know why, but I struggle to see him in an Irish jersey if he keeps getting busted up like that. If he fulfils his potential he could defo make the 23.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    The amount of people who had Luke McGrath starting or on the bench from the old thread is interesting. And if Murray was starting it was McGrath or Marmion on the bench.

In fairness even 12 months ago I think people would've been surprised to see Reddan and Boss go to this RWC. The younger guys just haven't been able to step up unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

.ak wrote: »
    In fairness even 12 months ago I think people would've been surprised to see Reddan and Boss go to this RWC. The younger guys just haven't been able to step up unfortunately.

stop with Boss FFS. Am I the only one on this forum to prefer Murray/Reddan/Marmion:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg?w=405&h=433

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    stop with Boss FFS. Am I the only one on this forum to prefer Murray/Reddan/Marmion:rolleyes:

Hahah, I'm just stating the situation, I never said what I'd prefer to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

jacothelad wrote: »

You have to hope he is still playing in 4 years. Hopefully he will be. I have him down as FB because I've been impressed by him there and with McCloskey and Arnold coming through and the lack of a homegrown FB at Ulster I could see him moving there...or...I could even see him moving to out half...I'm not certain how much room there is for guys like him in the centre at test level anymore.

Buer wrote: »
    am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg?w=405&h=433

km.gif
    tumblr_mx5aa0ThC51s1clzao8_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

connachta wrote: »
    km.gif
    tumblr_mx5aa0ThC51s1clzao8_250.gif

The problem Connachta is that I see Paul Marshall score tries like or at least make breaks like that all the time. It doesn't an international scrum half make.

Not that I'm saying Marmion isn't up to it either, he has potential, and should get a go sooner or later, but whether he can make it will be down to his game management, his passing and his box kicking. An ability to break is a bit more than a bonus but it's probably not first on the list of things to look for in an international scrum half.

bilston wrote: »
    The problem Connachta is that I see Paul Marshall score tries like or at least make breaks like that all the time. It doesn't an international scrum half make.

Not that I'm saying Marmion isn't up to it either, he has potential, and should get a go sooner or later, but whether he can make it will be down to his game management, his passing and his box kicking. An ability to break is a bit more than a bonus but it's probably not first on the list of things to look for in an international scrum half.

Of course, that was just a "gif answer".
    But he's international material when you see he was able to kick and find a great angle against Wales with the first ball he touched. Even young, he didn't felt the pressure of the 80 000 stadium. He also prooved once again how engaged he is, when he has to tackle

Schmidt saw him playing on the last 2 years, IMO he has passed succesfully the tests about tackling, kicking, scrum management, velocity for coming to the rucks, line breaking, mental strenght, feeling/flair about the phases. Yes his passing game could be a little floating but that's all ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Marmion still hasn't been selected ahead of anyone in a game that counts despite plenty of time in camp. Clearly there's been something missing from his game as far as the Irish management are concerned. It's such a vital position and one where Schmidt has always made the right call, I hope he's brought as the 3rd option but if he isn't it's because he is not yet good enough.

Marmion still hasn't been selected ahead of anyone in a game that counts despite plenty of time in camp. Clearly there's been something missing from his game as far as the Irish management are concerned. It's such a vital position and one where Schmidt has always made the right call, I hope he's brought as the 3rd option but if he isn't it's because he is not yet good enough.

Yeah i've understood the "in Schmidt we trust" answer, and I agree. But what's bothering me is everyone seems to think it will be Boss in the end, without any backing of their stance except the limited and IMO irrelevant comparison of March-May 2015.

But I won't keep going about that, it's off-topic here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Ian Nagle appeared to be the effing **** in 2011, what happend?

My attempt:
    15. Rob Kearney (33) - Very little competition, hopefully Leader or O'halloran kick on and push Kearns.
    14. Craig Glroy - Will be in his prime at the age of 27.
    13. Sam Arnold (22)/ Gary Ringrose (23) - A lot similar to the 2011 thread: picking out the talented u20s, very much a punt/guess.
    12. Robbie Henshaw (26) - Will surely be worldclass in 4 years?
    11. Luke Fitzgerald (31) - Provided he stays injury free
    10. Paddy Jackson (27) - has to sort out his kicking though.
    9. Conor Murray (30) - No real contender.

1. Cian Healy (31) - Real prime propping age. Wrecking ball, integral to Ireland.
    2. Sean Cronin (33) - Cronin one of the best hookers in the loose. Experience awlays good in the front row.
    3. Marty Moore (27) - will be a class tighthead, great follow on from Ross.
    4. Ian Henderson (27) - POC's successor
    5. Dave Foley (31) - Tough to call not many to choose from, maybe im being slow. Feel free to correct/suggest others.
    6. Peter O'Mahony (29) - obvious choice.
    7. Rhys Ruddock (27) - My personal opinion is that he is very good rn, unlucky with injury because he did so well against SA.
    8. Jamie Heaslip (35) - Neanderthalian.

16. duncan casey
    17. Bryan Byrne
    18. ed byrne
    19. mick kearney
    20. jordi murphy
    21. probably luke mcgrath
    22. ian madigan
    23. simon zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bradders90 wrote: »

You've said it yourself. He "appeared" to be. When that thread started, he had 9 starts to his name with Munster. It's gas how much we hype a young player who shows any promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It was the same season he won MOM against Australia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    You've said it yourself. He "appeared" to be. When that thread started, he had 9 starts to his name with Munster. It's gas how much we hype a young player who shows any promise.

It's the danger with these things. He looked absolutely supreme against Australia and then nothing. It's the reason coaches put less faith in a few great performances than we do!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

We really have to look at where players will be with their provinces in 4 years so:
    15. Rob Kearney (33) Although whoever ends up playing full back at Ulster between Gilroy, Olding and Nelson could have a real chance
    14. Craig Gilroy (28)
    13. Garry Ringrose (23) Again could be Olding with Robbie shifting out one but there's so much talent in the Ulster centres that it's hard to call who will shine through
    12. Robbie Henshaw (26)
    11. Simon Zebo (29) Not sure if Fitz will be able to keep it together for another 4 years
    10. Jonny Sexton (34)
    9. Conor Murray (30)
    8. Lorcan Dow (24) A bit of a bolter but I think Stander and O'Donoghue might block each other out at Munster and while Heaslip could play until 2023 probably (!) I don't think he'll want to
    7. Seán O'Brien (32) If he stays in one piece. We might end up with O'Mahony filling the gap here if not
    6. Peter O'Mahony (30) Would have a good shot at the captaincy as well. Would be a tough call between Ruddock or Henderson if he had to move to openside
    5. Iain Henderson (27)
    4. Devin Toner (33)
    3. Martin Moore (28) Having Furlong with him at Leinster not as much of a barrier in the front row as we've seen with the current Leinster team
    2. Duncan Casey (28) There's bolter potential here as well for me because I think neither Strauss or Cronin have the top level class to keep going into their mid 30s. Bryan Byrne could make it if he gets past them at Leinster
    1. Cian Healy (32) Hopefully he can keep fit anyway

16. Seán Cronin (33)
    17. Dave Kilcoyne (30)
    18. Tadhg Furlong (26)
    19. Seán O'Brien (24) Again potential for someone to come through. Ross Molony could have a chance as well
    20. Rhys Ruddock (28)
    21. Kieran Marmion (27)
    22. Paddy Jackson (27)
    23. Cian Kelleher (25) Impossible to call really but he could be a great talent for Leinster on the wing or at full back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

My attempt:
    15. Rob Kearney (33) - Very little competition, hopefully Leader or O'halloran kick on and push Kearns.
    14. Craig Glroy - Will be in his prime at the age of 27.
    13. Sam Arnold (22)/ Gary Ringrose (23) - A lot similar to the 2011 thread: picking out the talented u20s, very much a punt/guess.
    12. Robbie Henshaw (26) - Will surely be worldclass in 4 years?
    11. Luke Fitzgerald (31) - Provided he stays injury free
    10. Paddy Jackson (27) - has to sort out his kicking though.
    9. Conor Murray (30) - No real contender.

1. Cian Healy (31) - Real prime propping age. Wrecking ball, integral to Ireland.
    2. Sean Cronin (33) - Cronin one of the best hookers in the loose. Experience awlays good in the front row.
    3. Marty Moore (27) - will be a class tighthead, great follow on from Ross.
    4. Ian Henderson (27) - POC's successor
    5. Dave Foley (31) - Tough to call not many to choose from, maybe im being slow. Feel free to correct/suggest others.
    6. Peter O'Mahony (29) - obvious choice.
    7. Rhys Ruddock (27) - My personal opinion is that he is very good rn, unlucky with injury because he did so well against SA.
    8. Jamie Heaslip (35) - Neanderthalian.

16. Marty Moore
    17. Bryan Byrne
    18. ed byrne
    19. mick kearney
    20. jordi murphy
    21. probably luke mcgrath
    22. ian madigan
    23. dave kearney

Marty Moore on the pitch and the bench?! Four years is a very short time to perfect cloning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Does anyone have any info on Mike Brewer's kid? A few years ago I was hearing great things about him as a schoolboy but nothing recently. How old is he and is he still playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on Mike Brewer's kid? A few years ago I was hearing great things about him as a schoolboy but nothing recently. How old is he and is he still playing?

He's in his 2nd year in the Leinster Academy. He's 20 years old.

He entered the academy at the beginning of this season past, having played for Ireland u20s in the JWC. This season he didn't make the cut for the u20s with Arnold, Ringrose and Cleary being preferred; he was also injured at the beginning of the season. He plays for Terenure in the AIL.

• Advertisement

Yeah, to be honest I think he suffered a bit by making it into squads when he really had no right, just because of his 'pedigree'.

However, he is a bit of a unit and I reckon he will adapt to senior rugby, but there's certainly a lot better centres than him currently at his age level.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 leinster blue boys

Not many of this years u 20s then going to get in,and the fly half at Bristol Callum sheedy,only 19 ,already represented Ireland u19 st 7 s,was selected for this years wales u 20 6 nations squad ,but withdrew I take it to keep his options open ,this year could see the lad break threw,keep sn eye on him !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

A good few injuries, some longterm. Did get back to fitness but decided to take an internship with a US Management Consultancy in Washington DC for a year (I think). At the time he said he wasn't ruling out coming back to pro rugby but I think he is off to Cambridge University next year. I wonder will he follow in the footsteps of the great Mike Gibson and play for them!

Not many of this years u 20s then going to get in,and the fly half at Bristol Callum sheedy,only 19 ,already represented Ireland u19 st 7 s,was selected for this years wales u 20 6 nations squad ,but withdrew I take it to keep his options open ,this year could see the lad break threw,keep sn eye on him !!

you say "already" as if he was young for the side, no he was an u19 when he got picked. I stand to be corrected but i dont think he's available to be selected for the 20's no more. If he was really as good as you hype him to be he would have played for ireland u18's clubs or u19s, neither of which he has. I doubt we'll be seeing much of him in ireland at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Hagz wrote: »
    He's in his 2nd year in the Leinster Academy. He's 20 years old.

He entered the academy at the beginning of this season past, having played for Ireland u20s in the JWC. This season he didn't make the cut for the u20s with Arnold, Ringrose and Cleary being preferred; he was also injured at the beginning of the season. He plays for Terenure in the AIL.

In fairness he didnt start back playing until January. And he didnt look fit in the one match he did play for the Under 20's. I reckon he'll end up in England or even New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    He was getting a lot of hype based upon schools rugby and people thought much more than he is(not knocking him). He played 2 years of irish 20s. He is 20 and will be playing AIL next season. Leinster A as well.
    Not many of this years u 20s then going to get in,and the fly half at Bristol Callum sheedy, only 19 ,already represented Ireland u19 st 7 s,was selected for this years wales u 20 6 nations squad ,but withdrew I take it to keep his options open ,this year could see the lad break threw,keep sn eye on him !!
    And very unlikely to be involved in Ireland unless he moves to a province
    you say "already" as if he was young for the side, no he was an u19 when he got picked. I stand to be corrected but i dont think he's available to be selected for the 20's no more. If he was really as good as you hype him to be he would have played for ireland u18's clubs or u19s, neither of which he has. I doubt we'll be seeing much of him in ireland at least.
    +1 have to agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 44 leinster blue boys

Bradders 90,your attitude sometimes is awful,you avent clue what you are on about,the lad was 17 when he played u 19 7s,to say that he should of played for all those Irish age grade sides,it would of been impossible with him living in England,and to say he wont bbe heard of again,is a joke ,the lad got real talent

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bradders 90,your attitude sometimes is awful,you avent clue what you are on about,the lad was 17 when he played u 19 7s,to say that he should of played for all those Irish age grade sides,it would of been impossible with him living in England,and to say he wont bbe heard of again,is a joke ,the lad got real talent

You seem to push Sheedy a lot in threads on here, but the reality is that unless he plays for a province he's going to struggle to make it into underage squads as the coaching staff have much less of an opportunity to see him play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 bessiem8

Sheedy won't play for Ireland unless he moves to a province, nothing to suggest that's going to happen.

• Advertisement

He was upper 6th/year 13/last year of school call it what you will which in england makes him u18 but the irish system works on calender years most likely making him a u19 in irish eyes. It wouldn't of been impossible for him to play for them sides, in fact the whole exile system is set up so that anglo irishmen get picked for ireland. You go to regional trials, then get picked for the irish exiles which tours ireland plays the provinces.ireland coaches watch the games and select from the 5 teams (4 provinces +exiles). recent exiles in u18s clubs and u19s include, sean o'hagan, dom gorard (st benedicts, ealing), sam arnold (cranleigh, surrey), jake byrne (warwick school, warwickshire), brett connon (newcastle), niall saunders (epsom, surrey), jack coombes (hartpur, gloucester), and otto gray (canford, sussex).
    It is getting very tiresome listening to the same old stuff coming out how he is the next big thing etc when in reality he is no better than any underage outhalf in ireland.
    Sorry about grammar and wording on phone right now so hard to proof read. but hopefully i got my point across. Its nothing personal i just think you need to stop pushing him so hard, it gets irritating

Advertisement