Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can a landlord force you sign a new lease?

Options
  • 18-10-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

One of our current housemates is moving out due to extended wfm. All three of us have part 4 tenancy rights.

Myself and the remaining housemate are trying to fill the empty room and the landlord has said he wants us to sign a new lease when we find a new housemate who wants to move in.

Do we have to sign a new lease if we have part 4 rights? Obviously the new housemate wouldn't have part 4 until 6 months in.

I am a bit wary of signing a new lease incase the new housemate ends up being a pain to live with and I want to leave. Any advice please?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Simply put, no you do not have to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Careful.

Tar is right, you can't be forced to sign a new lease

BUT

you're the ones going back to the landlord trying to renegotiate the existing lease (to substitute a tenant).

This is one of those situations where a bit of diplomatic negotiation may work better than a boots first "I know my rights".

We've has posts before in similar situations where a landlord has just refused a new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The new lease can't supersede your existing rights, so is there really any harm in signing the bit of paper if it makes the landlord think he is in control?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It can get messy in a house share situation where there are multiple tenants to the lease.

While you can ordinarily rely on the "landlord refuses to allow sublet/assignment" to terminate a lease early, that doesn't work so well when there are other tenants who wish to remain/not terminate the lease.

I'd put it down as a situation that's best avoided if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

wont do a thing to protect the landlord one bit more so i dont know why they are bothering ?

wont in anyway curb your protection or rights so you might as well sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Woah

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    wont do a thing to protect the landlord one bit more so i dont know why they are bothering ?

wont in anyway curb your protection or rights so you might as well sign

But if I for example sign a 6 month lease with this new housemate won't I have to stay and be liable for rent for 6 more months even if I decide I want to leave?

Advertisement