Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you didn't think of.

2»

Comments

My own tips and advice:

Make sure you always use washable paint. Incredibly annoying to wipe a stain on a wall and have the paint come off with it. Especially if in any rooms with regular use (kitchen, etc.).

Measure the rooms and draw the floor plan on a notepad, bring it with you if you're going shopping for furniture, and make sure you measure everything you're buying.

As with above, measure the sofa. No.. don't just eyeball it.. measure it! I delivered sofas in the past and the amount of times "it looked a bit smaller on the shop floor" was muttered. I've seen sofas completely swallow up whole rooms. Big open spacious sitting rooms quickly become a cramped obstacle course because Mary needed the biggest corner sofa in the shop.

I've seen the same Respa Backcare Supreme Mattress (amazing mattress, by the way) sell for €399 and €799 in two different shops at the same time. Go walkies and check all your local stores.

Let your laminate floor acclimate. Even if the heating hasn't been turned on in the house yet, still let it sit there for two days. Yeah it's getting in the way, and it's a pain, but it's worth it. If it's going on top of a concrete floor, spend the extra on the foil-back underlay. Don't say you weren't warned.

Speaking of flooring, anecdotal here, but, 12mm or 7mm doesn't really make much difference in my experience. I got an extension onto my house, and as part of it did the whole ground floor with 12mm laminate. Then I converted my concrete shed to a 'garden room' and didn't want to spend the same amount, but wanted a similar, matching look. Opted for cheapo 7mm stuff off donedeal. Both installed properly (by me!) and you wouldn't know which was which. I felt a bit conned after paying for the 12mm stuff when I seen how the 7mm looked/sounded. Neither have chipped and both see similar usage.

A ceiling fan isn't a stupid idea! It's a brilliant idea. Don't be talked out of it like I was. "But sure it's ireland lol lol what summer hardyharhar". They're a great way of cooling a room, and in Ireland we tend to go from one extreme to the other with temperature.

I'm not overly clued into the new fangled ways of heating houses, but if it's a typical boiler set up, spend the few euro extra and ask for a Combi Boiler (assuming half decent water pressure in your area). You'll love it, and never go back. Immersion me hole.

Check for your furniture online. Many shops carry the same thing as each other, but sometimes use different names. I saved a few Euro on a table/chairs, because Harvey Norman had them, but HomelineFurniture.ie had them too (albeit with a different name). Harvey's price matched.

This assumes a 'traditional house' layout - haven't done this myself, but seen it done in the US - Consider sticking your utility room (including a washing machine and dryer) upstairs. You'll be getting naked upstairs for the most part, showering upstairs.. why bring your clothes downstairs to clean them, and then carry them back upstairs again? Makes no sense. Washing machine and dryer upstairs is much more logical (unless you are a committed clothesline owner).

If you're measuring your tiles, patio slabs or laminate floor, etc. always make sure you inflate the size of the area a little, so you end up with too many tiles/slabs. Better to be looking at it, than looking for it, as they say.

Personal preference - consider a shower panel. I love mine. We have three bathrooms. Two were renovated in the last 3 years, and got panels (two different types, albeit similar). Last bathroom will be done next year I'd say, and will be getting a shower panel. They're great, and easy to install, so your plumber shouldn't give you any needless grief. You need decent water pressure or a pump, though (mine is just ran off the combi boiler/from the mains).

Those flexible taps with the hose in them, so you can spray water wherever you like - Do you really need it? Honestly? They're a great novelty, but although I never had one myself, anyone i know who has had one, has had it leak on them. I was originally planning to get one when re-doing the kitchen 3 years back, and my plumber said he'd happily install it, but wouldn't recommend them. Seems he was right.

Sorry.. Enough of my rambling..

Sorry - one last thing - If you get a tradesman out to your house, to install something that requires a wire (Sky, Virgin, TV Aerial, etc.) make sure that where they drill into the house, the wire 'droops down' below the hole they drilled, before it enters the house.

Condensation and rain will cause water to run down the wire. If the lowest point of the wire is the hole where it enters your house, you're more likely to get water penetration/dampness, etc. whereas if the wire droops down lower than the hole, in a U shape, the water will drip off onto the ground.

This should be obvious to anyone that has ever done this kind of work, but having seen 'professional' installs done ass-ways, I figure it best to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

About combi boilers, I’ve lived in apartments with them all my life and are amazing, but for bigger houses, where you need maybe hot water in 2-3 taps at the same time, a water tank would be needed. Nowadays looks like the water tanks are amazing in term of insulation. Is this what an immersion tank is?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Put the foundation in for a shed If you do not have the funds now or build a shed. If there are no garden walls or picket fences pay to get the garden walls built. Less mess and cheaper in the long run. Plenty of double sockets in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

Did a house revamp and decent sized extension a few years ago, when I was building a neighbour said to put 3/4" pipes instead of 1/2" .

I was sick of everyone's advice at that stage, I regret not listening everytime I'm in the shower and someone flushes the jacks or uses the sink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

enricoh wrote: »
    Did a house revamp and decent sized extension a few years ago, when I was building a neighbour said to put 3/4" pipes instead of 1/2" .

I was sick of everyone's advice at that stage, I regret not listening everytime I'm in the shower and someone flushes the jacks or uses the sink!

Presume this references loss of pressure. Simple solution is to have a dedicated line from hot water tank to shower with a high pressure pump on it. Otherwise you need an expensive variable pressure pump that ramps up and down as needed. Former is better option for a retrofit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Can I please ask how much of what has been mentioned is “requestable” in a new build estate in the likes of Kildare or Dublin? Is it the case that you get what you’re given and only after you get the keys can you do extras?

Things like sockets, network cabling and outdoor power/tap appeal to me, but I assume the builder will only meet the brochure spec until it’s too late to fix? Or can you request all of these extras?

We bought a new build in Dublin 2.5 years ago. As part of the initial process of picking the tiles that were included etc, we could ask for extra sockets & indicate them on a layout of the house. Now it cost per socket to put in but was worth it to have it done. Really wish we'd even put in more.

We didn't get an outside socket done at the time but got one done since and it wasn't too bad. Could have just got lucky with the layout of the house and where the board is and where we were looking to put the outside socket.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My own tips and advice:

Make sure you always use washable paint. Incredibly annoying to wipe a stain on a wall and have the paint come off with it. Especially if in any rooms with regular use (kitchen, etc.).

Measure the rooms and draw the floor plan on a notepad, bring it with you if you're going shopping for furniture, and make sure you measure everything you're buying.

As with above, measure the sofa. No.. don't just eyeball it.. measure it! I delivered sofas in the past and the amount of times "it looked a bit smaller on the shop floor" was muttered. I've seen sofas completely swallow up whole rooms. Big open spacious sitting rooms quickly become a cramped obstacle course because Mary needed the biggest corner sofa in the shop.

I've seen the same Respa Backcare Supreme Mattress (amazing mattress, by the way) sell for €399 and €799 in two different shops at the same time. Go walkies and check all your local stores.

Let your laminate floor acclimate. Even if the heating hasn't been turned on in the house yet, still let it sit there for two days. Yeah it's getting in the way, and it's a pain, but it's worth it. If it's going on top of a concrete floor, spend the extra on the foil-back underlay. Don't say you weren't warned.

Speaking of flooring, anecdotal here, but, 12mm or 7mm doesn't really make much difference in my experience. I got an extension onto my house, and as part of it did the whole ground floor with 12mm laminate. Then I converted my concrete shed to a 'garden room' and didn't want to spend the same amount, but wanted a similar, matching look. Opted for cheapo 7mm stuff off donedeal. Both installed properly (by me!) and you wouldn't know which was which. I felt a bit conned after paying for the 12mm stuff when I seen how the 7mm looked/sounded. Neither have chipped and both see similar usage.

A ceiling fan isn't a stupid idea! It's a brilliant idea. Don't be talked out of it like I was. "But sure it's ireland lol lol what summer hardyharhar". They're a great way of cooling a room, and in Ireland we tend to go from one extreme to the other with temperature.

I'm not overly clued into the new fangled ways of heating houses, but if it's a typical boiler set up, spend the few euro extra and ask for a Combi Boiler (assuming half decent water pressure in your area). You'll love it, and never go back. Immersion me hole.

Check for your furniture online. Many shops carry the same thing as each other, but sometimes use different names. I saved a few Euro on a table/chairs, because Harvey Norman had them, but HomelineFurniture.ie had them too (albeit with a different name). Harvey's price matched.

This assumes a 'traditional house' layout - haven't done this myself, but seen it done in the US - Consider sticking your utility room (including a washing machine and dryer) upstairs. You'll be getting naked upstairs for the most part, showering upstairs.. why bring your clothes downstairs to clean them, and then carry them back upstairs again? Makes no sense. Washing machine and dryer upstairs is much more logical (unless you are a committed clothesline owner).

If you're measuring your tiles, patio slabs or laminate floor, etc. always make sure you inflate the size of the area a little, so you end up with too many tiles/slabs. Better to be looking at it, than looking for it, as they say.

Personal preference - consider a shower panel. I love mine. We have three bathrooms. Two were renovated in the last 3 years, and got panels (two different types, albeit similar). Last bathroom will be done next year I'd say, and will be getting a shower panel. They're great, and easy to install, so your plumber shouldn't give you any needless grief. You need decent water pressure or a pump, though (mine is just ran off the combi boiler/from the mains).

Those flexible taps with the hose in them, so you can spray water wherever you like - Do you really need it? Honestly? They're a great novelty, but although I never had one myself, anyone i know who has had one, has had it leak on them. I was originally planning to get one when re-doing the kitchen 3 years back, and my plumber said he'd happily install it, but wouldn't recommend them. Seems he was right.

Sorry.. Enough of my rambling..

1. A ceiling fan is basically just a light fitting. New houses come with basic ceiling roses. There is nothing stopping you putting up a ceiling fan after, apart from the fact that they are incredibly fugly and will cheapen the look of any room they are in.

2. Do not put your utility room upstairs unless all you want to do is listen to the sound of your washing machine vibrate throughout the house. You might get away with it if you have hollowcore flooring upstairs, but you will have to carry wet washing downstairs to hang it out anyway.

3. Combi boilers are not generally used in larger houses because they are not a good system when more than one hot water source is being used at once.

About combi boilers, I’ve lived in apartments with them all my life and are amazing, but for bigger houses, where you need maybe hot water in 2-3 taps at the same time, a water tank would be needed. Nowadays looks like the water tanks are amazing in term of insulation. Is this what an immersion tank is?

A house will have a hot water tank, because combi boilers do not cope well providing hot water on demand to multiple places at once.

An immersion is a heating element in your hot water tank, that heats the water using electricity. It is a relatively expensive way to heat water. Your house may come with an immersion, but it will not be the primary way of heating water. If you are buying a new house you will have some renewable way of getting hot water.

Tanks are good at retaining heat these days, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

awec wrote: »
    2. Do not put your utility room upstairs unless all you want to do is listen to the sound of your washing machine vibrate throughout the house. You might get away with it if you have hollowcore flooring upstairs, but you will have to carry wet washing downstairs to hang it out anyway. .

Best option is to put in a chute upstairs to drop stuff straight into a laundry basket in the utility. Won't work with every house but where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Caranica wrote: »
    Best option is to put in a chute upstairs to drop stuff straight into a laundry basket in the utility. Won't work with every house but where possible.

Your now into fire proofing a shaft that moves between floors.
    Messy solution that should be avoided.

1. A ceiling fan is basically just a light fitting. New houses come with basic ceiling roses. There is nothing stopping you putting up a ceiling fan after, apart from the fact that they are incredibly fugly and will cheapen the look of any room they are in.

I do see what you mean, but I think they're the kind of light fitting that should be planned in advance. Just firing them in where a pre-existing light was generally will look sh/te. I had planned a space for mine between two light fittings on the extended part of the house (slightly taller ceiling).

I think they look fine, unless you buy one that draws attention to itself. My kitchen is white, ceilings are white and a white fan would be grand and barely noticeable. I wouldn't just randomly hang a bamboo-styled one, slightly off centered in my sitting room though, because that's where the light was.

2. Do not put your utility room upstairs unless all you want to do is listen to the sound of your washing machine vibrate throughout the house. You might get away with it if you have hollowcore flooring upstairs, but you will have to carry wet washing downstairs to hang it out anyway.

I'll admit I've never actually done this, but I don't recall it being mentioned as an issue. Albeit, i seen it in the US where the houses are generally large, and i did mention they'd be no use if you're using a clothesline. For me, I'd do the utility upstairs it if i was building a house tomorrow, though.

3. Combi boilers are not generally used in larger houses because they are not a good system when more than one hot water source is being used at once.

If you mean in terms of getting hot water to several sources, I'd disagree. If you mean in terms of water pressure, I'd agree.

Our house is fed off the mains, so the water pressure is amazing when you use a single source at once (ie; get a shower). However, if the water is then turned on somewhere else (someone starts washing plates in the kitchen sink) the water pressure will effectively half, as it's being split in two.

It's still entirely usable, though. It does suffer if a third source is turned on, to the extent that no user is getting worthwhile pressure, however two users at the same time is fine. That said, this again likely depends fairly heavily on what your pressure is like to begin with. We are straight off the mains with no pumps or anything along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

New houses in naas, longstone have their laundry room upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

High risk of your GF ceilings cracking with washing machine & dryer upstairs unless you really go to town with vibration isolation.
    Also if you can get them in a utility downstairs you might be able to run them on night rate while also being able to sleep.
    And you have to get those two large pieces of equipment upstairs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

We were another new build.

+1 on the creaky floorboards, we didn't do this and regret it.

Trying to think the layout of your rooms in advance and they can accommodate sockets being moved around during the build. We paid a little extra for the sockets with USB ports in them, very handy in the modern world.

On the layout of the rooms, we had to get our overhead light moved when we realised where the kitchen table went, so again, plan in advance if ya can.

We got an "A-ring" put in too, means we can control lamps from the switches as you enter the room

And if you're in the estate early, get to know the builders, they all will be keen to make some extra money after work, handy if you need to get any electronics or construction fixes done once you've moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I would definately not buy somewhere that had a ‘management company’ - they are mostly beyone the law builders & their croony wifes and children and are a endless source of frustration , worry & problems.

Don’t buy where there is no driveway for all your cars - or where there is communal or allocated per house parking - it and residental clamping on estates is becoming a big issue and big business.

Try to buy a bathroom with a window in it! You will eventually yearn for one and airing out an bathroom by opening windows fron and back of the house will over time become a breezy and expensive (in the winter) business. I have relly good expelair system but sometimes you just want to open a window - especially if you have guests or a party!!!

Cook on gas! Its brilliant and better IMO!

Try and buy a place with a side passageway ( or garage!) as bikes and bins will go through your house but you will have to do a lot mire floor mopping and have to replace your floors a few years earlier or re-grout your tiling - annoying if avoidable!

Open plan is very on-trend but when I use my open plan space the bills go up by at least 30% as it is a massive space to heat. Bi-monthly bills change from e200 is in the winter to at least e350. ouch.

Buy as large rooms as you can afford - you will fill them up! Especially bedrooms - too many knee to the wall double rooms with small wardrobe space - it will wear you out and make your night life and early mornings a chore.

Tulleys in Dublin sell bare root trees and bushes and you can buy and have delivered trees to your garden - don’t let a barren new estate garden put you off having instant privacy. Money invested in privacy is well spent. You can buy 20 or 30
    foot grown tree and have an end to nosey neighbours or people peering out their windows into your house. You won’t ever regret that grand or few grand spent.

Plant your trees away enough from your wall that you neighbour shouldn’t be able to just cut away branches under the guise of them growing over their boundary wall - leave it in about 5 or 6 foot!

Storage storage storage!!!

Buy good stuff and buy only once - don’t live in flatpack collapsable disasters you’re afraid to move in case they come apart!

Ask for a discount everywhere you shop. All retailers have discretionary discount they can give to their family/ friends/ etc - I saved thousands in outfitting the whole house by being shameless & having a brass neck! .. I’m interested in that but can you do a better price, is there a discount on that?

Don’t clutter up your kitchen surfaces or storage with all gadgets! All those waffle makers/spagetti makers/no fat friers for only a handful of chips/ steam cookeds and rice makers belong in the charity store - not in your kitchen storage !!!

Spend well on appliances - people love it when they come over or to re-sell or rent - the extra few hundred you save will disappear quickly from your pocket but the branding & quality will last decades and stand you you over time.

No buy beside or alongside social and affordable if at all possible. It only takes one or two problem families to ruin a neighbourhood.

Don’t buy beside apartments as their visitor car parking will slowly drive you insane and their bulk probably will affect or block out the light Nd privacy in your garden.

South facing rents and sells on well and will save you a fortune in heat bills over the years! (And make your world a warm sunny place!)

Check out your neighbours and neighbourhood carefully before you commit.

Try and do a land registry check before you go to contract and before you commit - if you are spending tens of thousands extra on an address you need to be sure it is correct. Google maps use electoral areas often and estate agents straight up lie as standard procedure. They are not your friends and they work on commission.

Planting 20 / 30 foot trees in your garden of your brand new development as soon as you move in is an excellent and effective way to make all your new neighbours think you're a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'd also echo (no pun intended) the points about soundproofing as much as possible between ground floor and first floor etc. If buying new and visiting the showhouse, check out the noise transfer between upstairs and downstairs - ask someone to walk around upstairs normally, while you walk around carry on a normal noise-level conversation downstairs. Turn on a TV or radio to average volume if possible. Both of you should check how well you hear the other. My parents bought a new house and the sound transfer is horrendous. If you breathe too loudly in the sitting room, you can hear it in the bedroom directly above (well just about lol) and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

Get electricity points for under counter lights in the kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

EVGR wrote: »
    Get electricity points for under counter lights in the kitchen!

Added to the list

• Advertisement
Advertisement